whatever happened to .....

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

whatever happened to .....

Postby fredlk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:20 pm

elgato for one. Regular daily poster and then suddenly gone in a puff of smoke. There wasn't really any smoke.
There are many more and I've mentioned this elsewhere. We have our daily posters and then they suddenly vanish. Also from The Philippines, Panama, etc.
As far as I know only one or two or three or four - might all be the same person - received permanent bans, the rest weren't bullied or harassed or otherwise tormented.
Did they leave the country? Did they find better places to learn about building or ....

P.S. I'm serious so please don't banter (too much).
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby sirineou » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:12 am

fredlk wrote:elgato for one. Regular daily poster and then suddenly gone in a puff of smoke. There wasn't really any smoke.

I would not be so sure about not being any smoke,How do you know?
It seems one of his last posts was about electrical work at his build. :lol:
but seriously , it has only being a few months since his last post, maybe he has business to take care of back home, anyway I hope everything is Ok with him, I always enjoyed reading his posts.

And NO !!! he did not find a better place to learn about building, because there is no better place. :D
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby payebacs » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:37 am

Fred I suppose building is a hobby and a job for some, sometimes enthusiasm wanes especially if not currently building. I know sometimes I think what the hell these guys know it all but there are endless combinations so that's not true. Maybe some of these builds are getting too big! Yours and Rogers are massive. Gliffaes I'm not sure where his is going. Sometimes easier to grasp if somebody just put up a shed! Nawty's monkey cage for a start had me curious minus the photo of his roof! I'm hoping to complete plans of my own but buildings going to take a while a few years. Am due out there in november to view the site and to holiday. Brilliant. Maybe people as well get phased by the amount of history stored on the site previous posts and could do with starting again because times change but things said at random stay on forever like when Geordie arranged to move in with gliffaes maid. I might start over before launching my own build and call myself something more fitting to the occassion. My own name would be good but at my still working age probably not wise. Mister would be a start though. Mr Bac. More respectable.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
User avatar
payebacs
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 am

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:32 am

Well Payebacs ! You at least have a vast amount of info in this forum to refer to if needed, so you should get it right when you do start your build. Some of our readers are already into their build or in a hurry for what ever reason, there for looking for remedies after the event. I for one had plenty of time to plan and take each step slowly over a few years . Years of previous building experience helped, but I still found C.T.H. tremendously helpful and certainly interesting. So much so that I have made it part of my daily routine to check the site for any new comments of interest, adding my two pennies worth if I think they may be of help, or that I cannot resist making a comment. That said , I think who ever got this Forum off the ground did a great job and the administrators are to be commended for their efforts as well.
Mike Judd
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am
Location: Church Point Sydney N.S.W. Australia. Khon Kaen

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:22 am

Mike Judd wrote:Well Payebacs ! You at least have a vast amount of info in this forum to refer to if needed, so you should get it right when you do start your build. Some of our readers are already into their build or in a hurry for what ever reason, there for looking for remedies after the event. I for one had plenty of time to plan and take each step slowly over a few years . Years of previous building experience helped, but I still found C.T.H. tremendously helpful and certainly interesting. So much so that I have made it part of my daily routine to check the site for any new comments of interest, adding my two pennies worth if I think they may be of help, or that I cannot resist making a comment. That said , I think who ever got this Forum off the ground did a great job and the administrators are to be commended for their efforts as well.

I second that During my MIL build the day to day trauma of looking after 17 farmer building a house with all the ensuing problems ?? internet was available at the hotel ! pc but the Boyfriend of the nightclerk used to camp on it ? realistically i was so tired workin 12 hrs a day 7 days a week the only time i went near the forum was to show pictures to the builder of stuff i could not explain I take my hat off to all that can manage both the work and the posting even Gilfaes manged that but it was a very small build the builder was a profesional (against my farmers) he even managed to nip back to BKK for matrimonial duties i was too tired for that as well :mrgreen: Given the stress caused between builders screwing things up partners suporting the buider,s purely because they are Thai partners not understanding the importance of correctly
making "your dream home" Family member in the background/foreground looking at ways they can jump on the cash cow and do some milking I openly admit i have issue,s with her family i state categorically regularly they cannot be trusted my wife is included in that so i tend to treat them all (Thais) with a certain amount of distrust this statement may disturb some but the last few months living here has so far reinforced those beliefs but i am happy living here and open about admitting it
Were i a more private person i would not be so had the build gone tits i may or may not have continued with the story probably a no to that i stopped telling the build story because it was causing issues with 1 member
who has issues with the world a lot of people who post probably have family/friend back home following and don,t want everyone to think they failed ? whatever the reason i suspect the stress factor being very intense maybe cost a few their partners as well as their home/land/car Some people possibly knew better went against the genral concensous of the correct way to resolve an issue then quit because they did not want to look stupid having ignored the advice But we are all on here self motivated stubborn driven men So who is going to be told what to do :lol: :lol: My father used to tell me you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:20 am

geordie wrote: i tend to treat them all (Thais) with a certain amount of distrust

I'm no racist, I trust nobody of ANY nationality. :lol:
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:26 am

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote: i tend to treat them all (Thais) with a certain amount of distrust

I'm no racist, I trust nobody of ANY nationality. :lol:


I always thought the Germans had a high regard reputation for honesty :roll: It was a german that told me that The few month i have lived here have as i stated ( ithink) opened my eye,s widely even if you wer a racist here you would be outnumbered hugely by your Thai equivelant :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 pm

geordie wrote:I always thought the Germans had a high regard reputation for honesty

You might as well strike them off the list. Dealing with my parent's affairs and the estate after their death, I encountered cheating, lying, incompetence and that not only from the Deutsche Bank, but real estate firms, telephone companies. In the end I just had to give up. An aunt of mine died in 2007 and due to incompetence, stupidity, greed and ignorance of the recommended German lawyer, we have lost money, not been able to finalise the estate, paid out huge sums unnecessarily .......

Some might be honest though. I was a German national for many years and I think I am honest, my father was reasonably honest and that's about all. My experiences might have been worse than most people's but give me Thai honesty any day over German honesty. :lol:
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby payebacs » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:35 am

Mike Judd wrote:I still found C.T.H. tremendously helpful and certainly interesting.
Indeed Mike there are many areas of interest thanks for the encouragement.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
User avatar
payebacs
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 am

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby fredlk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:32 am

Jokers seem to come and go ......
A flurry of activity and interest only to quickly fade away.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby sirineou » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:30 am

fredlk wrote:Jokers seem to come and go ......
A flurry of activity and interest only to quickly fade away.

I wonder why they quickly fade away ? Jokers hmm....
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby merry-terry » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:35 am

Good evening, i think that perhaps "payebacs" has hit the nail on the head when he says that some of the builds are getting rather big being the cause for dwindling numbers. Don't get me wrong, i love them, they look fantastic.But i was wondering if perhaps i had come to the wrong place and this site was for "rich people only". Just reading makes one feel way over your head. Just letting you know how it feels from a newbys point of view. :oops: :oops: :oops:
merry-terry
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby fredlk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 am

merry-terry wrote:i was wondering if perhaps i had come to the wrong place and this site was for "rich people only". Just reading makes one feel way over your head.

Good point, but what to do about it?
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 am

fredlk wrote:
merry-terry wrote:i was wondering if perhaps i had come to the wrong place and this site was for "rich people only". Just reading makes one feel way over your head.

Good point, but what to do about it?

Not posting 100 pictures of the same black and white tiles could be a start. :roll:

This site was begun as a hands on building site where occasionally one got dirt under their nails. Think that is why many members continue posting and looking in.

Moving to Thailand then building a reasonably priced home is not an easy task. It seems the majority are looking for help and guidance as that is what they are trying to accomplish.

My how it has gone off the rails for some.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: whatever happened to .....

Postby dozer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Regular daily poster and then suddenly gone in a puff of smoke.
Think that is why many members continue posting and looking in.

I think attrition is the nature of the beast. Building is an activity that has a limited time horizon (hopefully) and members are bound to come and go. It is nice however (and I am sure appreciated by all) when members do complete their building stories.
dozer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm

Next

Return to general

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest