Rules and Regulations

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Rules and Regulations

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Another reason why Thailand is the place for me. :mrgreen:

Illegal Front Yard Garden: Canadian Couple's Kitchen Garden Targeted By Authorities

Posted: 07/19/2012 4:21 pm Updated: 07/22/2012 11:56 pm

Take a look at Josée Landry and Michel Beauchamp's gorgeous front yard kitchen garden in Drummondville, Quebec. The cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchinis, beets, onions, and brussels sprouts and other vegetables grown by the couple helped Beauchamp lose 75 pounds, and Landry 25.
The only problem? It's illegal.
Boing Boing points us to a petition to save the garden, which authorities insist must be removed. The town code states that a vegetable garden can take up 30 percent of a front yard at most, and Landry and Beauchamp's is in violation. They were given two weeks to comply, which means the garden must be drastically scaled back by this Sunday.
The petition reads in part:
Front yard kitchen gardens are not the problem; they're part of the solution to healthier and more sustainable communities. Thanks for helping us to defend them.
CBC News reports that if the couple fails to remove a significant enough portion of their garden, they could expect fines of between $100 and $300 each day. The news site also reveals authorities say neighbors have complained about the garden, but Beauchamp is suspicious:
Beauchamp said no one has complained to him. He said he shares his fresh produce with his neighbours.
"They love it. Everybody is surprised by the kind of taste we can have from fresh vegetables," he said.
The couple said they have no intention of complying with the city's request.

CBC also notes that the city plans to make all front lawn vegetable gardens illegal this fall. The measure would only apply to new gardens, so Landry Beauchamp garden -- assuming they scale it back -- will be perfectly legal.
How does the larger gardening community feel about attempts to remove the garden? Boing Boing has a quote from kitchen garden advocate and expert Roger Doiron: "If this garden is deemed illegal, we're in deep you-know-what."
Learn more about the couple's personal website, Le potager urbain. Fair warning, it's written in French. Language barrier or not, the pictures are pretty cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Re: Rules and Regulations

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Bill,
Don't forget about no beer after midnight Saturday because it offends "god".
Roger Ramjet

Postby payebacs » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Dear Sir. I've got 2 kids who ride their bikes up and down your street and it's begining to look like a farm over there so what do you propose to do about it.? And don't even try to tell me that you don't eat the stuff cos I saw you picking out a cabbage just last week... 'farm boy'. :lol: And no. God doesn't do beer on Sundays. All day!
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:22 am

BKKBILL wrote:Another reason why Thailand is the place for me. :mrgreen:

Maybe they would prefer something like Geordie's garden in the house he just sold:

Geordie's garden.jpg

Or maybe something more artistic:

mud-man-and-moss-maiden1.jpg

In LOS this might be more appropriate ... as there are no animal welfare people!

topiary-art-designs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:26 pm

MGV12 wrote:
BKKBILL wrote:Another reason why Thailand is the place for me. :mrgreen:

Maybe they would prefer something like Geordie's garden in the house he just sold:

Geordie's garden.jpg

how the F in hell did you get the estate agents first picture :lol: :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Rules are rules

Another reason the Thai system is to my liking.

This is a town with a population of 24,000.

9 cm error turns dream home into nightmare for couple
CBC News Posted: Jul 26, 2012 12:02 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 27, 2012 5:07 AM ET

Steven Boyd and Karen Bursey built their house too close to their neighbour's property, according to C.B.S. town council. (Adam Walsh/CBC)

A couple's dream home is turning into a nightmare, all because of nine centimetres.
The Conception Bay South town council in eastern Newfoundland says Steven Boyd and Karen Bursey built their house too close to their neighbour's property. The home is supposed to be 1.5 metres from the property line. Instead, it is 1.26 metres away. The couple was given an exemption by the council of up to 1.35 metres.
The difference — nine centimetres. That's about the length of a poker-sized playing card.
Owners of a half-built house must pay $25,000 to fix their house or buy more land because it's 9 cm too close to the next property. What should they do?

The couple discovered the problem after the foundation was laid. Because of where it's located on the cul de sac, the property shape isn't a typical plot of land — it's more curved than straight.
When an inspector picked up on it, the council issued a stop-work order.
"We're devastated, obviously," Bursey said. "We have thousands of dollars invested in a home that we can't proceed with."
C.B.S. Coun. Ken McDonald disagrees with the town, and supports the couple.
"They want them to tear down a wall, tear down a concrete wall, and patch it back in to suit three and a half inches?" McDonald said. "To me it's ludicrous, it's ridiculous."
Bursey says tearing down that wall would cost $25,000. That's the same amount their neighbours want for the nine centimetres of land.
Now Bursey says they're between a rock and a hard place.
"Our only other avenue of appeal is to go through the municipal appeals board, which right now at this point in time there's a wait list of well over a year," Bursey said.
Bursey says they don't have the time or the money to wait that long for a decision.
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Rules are rules

Another reason the Thai system is to my liking.

This is a town with a population of 24,000........

[/i]

I could not agree more, Personally I hope Thailand will never change, warts and all.
My true Florida story,
Being a carpenter by trade, I decided to build a storage shed in my back yard, I sad down on Sketch UP and drew a detail construction plan plan and material list. I show them the floor deck (2x6 beams, 5/8 plywood), the walls (2x4 @ 16" on center, the roof, ets.and it would had cost me about $400.00 inmaterial
and went to Town hall to get a permit. They looked at my plans and thought they were great, but..... they said I needen to have them stamped by an architect,or licensed engineer.
I said , wow it is only a 10X10 storage shed.
They said, it might be,, but you need an architect.
I said, wow..... ok how much do you think It would coast me to have an architect sign on the plans, they said anywhere from $800-1200
So I went to the Home depot an bought a ready made storage shed for $600 :lol:
True story
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 pm

You couldn't rake it up! GP has to pay £84 to plant shrubs in muddy verge

• Dr Susannah Beattie put in shrubs to put off illegal parkers in Cambridge
• Residents welcomed the move but council accused her of breaking law
• They demanded she pay for a 'licence to cultivate' tiny scraps of land
• 'So many people litter the streets and aren’t brought up for it, but if you are beautifying the streets you have to pay extra money,' GP said

By ANDREW LEVY

PUBLISHED: 12:13 GMT, 23 October 2012 | UPDATED: 01:09 GMT, 24 October 2012

The two muddy patches at the side of the street were crying out for a little love and attention.

So when GP Susannah Beattie spent her own time and money making them look attractive by planting some shrubs, neighbours were delighted.
But days later a letter arrived from the council saying the work had been done without its approval.

Dr Beattie, 47, was told she had to apply for a ‘licence to cultivate’ – a process that involved submitting a detailed plan and paying an £84 fee.

She reluctantly agreed to the demand but yesterday criticised the ‘tick-box culture’ that threatens to stifle public-spirited behaviour.
Dr Beattie, who was yesterday resigned to paying the fee, has demanded a rethink on the 30-year-old rules she claims leave no room for common sense.

'It doesn’t make sense to be discouraging the local community from beautifying the neighbourhood,' she said.

Dr Beattie planted the greenery on council-owned land at the end of her driveway in Cambridge in the last week of September.

The land on each side had been churned up into a muddy mess by residents and visitors to a nearby GP surgery as they parked their cars.
Grateful neighbours commented on how lovely it looked after Dr Beattie’s efforts.

article-2221864-15A30A99000005DC-147_634x587.jpeg
A map drawn by Susannah Beattie to show where she had planted a peppering of pretty plants but her local authority have hit the roof.

But on October 10, a letter from Cambridgeshire County Council arrived saying she had breached the 1980 Highways Act, under which local authorities control planting on public land. In the plan she had to submit, Dr Beattie explained how the planting ‘replaced a weedy, bald area of ground’.

Letters outlined what greenery had been planted and where – including lily of the valley bush and hardy geranium. The council’s highways department has now approved her application.

Local councillor Geoff Heathcock said no one who tries to improve their neighbourhood should be treated like a criminal.
He added: ‘This action is both unnecessary and petty compared to the damage that is done all year round by parking on verges.’

The council insisted the application for a licence was standard practice. A spokesman said: ‘The fee covers the cost of inspecting the site and agreeing a planting scheme.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2ABpWZqrY
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Volunteer street cleaner is fined £75 for dropping litter... into a bin
The council has defended the fine, claiming he had thrown a pizza box and junk mail in a public street bin, which is illegal as it is considered 'domestic waste'

An award-winning litter picker has been slapped with a £75 on-the-spot fine after he put rubbish - into bins.

Kind-hearted David Baker, 39, of Stourbridge, West Mids, has scooped several accolades for keeping the streets of his home town tidy by voluntarily picking up litter seven days a week for free.

But last week, he was handed a fixed penalty fine by jobsworth council bosses after they accused him of fly-tipping.

Mr Baker, who has voluntarily gathered tonnes of strangers rubbish from street across Stourbridge, over the last six years, has been accused of putting some of his own litter into a public bin.

Yesterday the furious former geologist, blasted council 'busybodies' and branded their decision as 'bureaucracy gone mad'.

He fumed: 'I think that it is completely outrageous that I should be fined for actually cleaning rubbish off the streets.

'How can people who actually want to put rubbish in the bin be fined?

'To claim that what I put in the bin amounts to fly-tipping is crazy.

'I moved to a town centre flat six years ago and got fed up with all the rubbish in the street.
'I look after all the plants and dead head them daily and I go around picking up rubbish.
'I fill a carrier bag or two a day and I go out most days of the year - unless I’m on holiday.

'I am out at least an hour every day and do it all for free.
'I just think the council are desperate for money and have a mentality of fining people for anything at the moment.'

Mr Baker started cleaning the streets near when he worked on the team preparing for the annual Stourbridge in Bloom entry.

He added: 'I used to be given bags from the council and they used to take the rubbish away if I left it in a certain spot.

'But 18 months ago they stopped giving me bags and told me not to dump the rubbish because they won’t take it away.

'I’m going to have to pay the fine but I’m really disappointed.'

The council yesterday defended the fine, claiming they found he had thrown a pizza box and junk mail in a public street bin, which is illegal as it is considered 'domestic waste'.
Environment boss councillor Tracy Wood said: 'Our enforcement officers issued a fixed penalty fine to Mr Baker in Stourbridge, after they found his domestic waste and letters in the litter bin on a number of occasions.

'However, we will be reviewing the fine and speaking to Mr Baker directly to discuss it.'
Meanwhile, a 14-year-old schoolboy from Tamworth, Staffs., was fined £80 for throwing a 2ft long branch into a river while playing poohsticks.

Shocked Kieran Wright was served with a fixed penalty notice by Tamworth Borough Council and ordered to pay the fine or undertake three hours of litter picking.

An eagle-eyed council official spotted Kieran lobbing the branch into the river on October 6.

Day later the teenager received the penalty notice through the post - with a letter warning that littering was 'punishable by a fine of up to £2,500'.
His furious stepfather Andrew Wilson said yesterday: 'When we found out I thought ‘you have to be joking’.

Children do it every day.
'It’s ridiculous. We used to do it as kids - it’s a game called Poohsticks in the Winnie the Pooh books, and there’s a national competition for it.

'Are they going to stop everyone from throwing sticks into the water or throwing bread for ducks, or food for the fish?

'Fair enough if it was a can or a food wrapper, but it was an innocent thing. I don’t know how these officers can stop children and get their personal details off them.'

A council spokesman said: 'Branches deliberately thrown into the river directly contribute to the blocking of the flow of water, which can lead to flooding and other environmental problems.

'We will always take action to prevent this.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2B2to55sL
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:54 am

I know that I can be a bit of a whingeing Pom "Sometimes" ! But it's becoming more than a joke here in Oz for those of us who can remember when "Common Sense" was the norm. Lot's of schools now have a no hugging rule in place for girls and no touching rule for boys.? Two girls were suspended last week for hugging each other when leaving school at the end of class. Two boys received the same punishment for greeting each other on the school bus with a high 5. I have no idea where the boys rule came from but apparently the "No hugging " came into being when a Mother was supposed to have complained that her daughter had bruises from a too enthusiastic hugging. As my Formal education more or less ended for me at the age of 13-14yrs in 1944 when Hitler was having a last ditch go at London with his V.1''s and V2' rockets. I must confess to being a little out of touch with Modern Education, No caning came first, then Teachers were barred from consoling an up set child by touching them in any way. Where is it going to end.?
Just to add a little to the differences in Driving Laws we all enjoy. Here in Oz it's now an offence to Not indicate ! when entering a roundabout and again when leaving where ever that is. Also Mobile phones are not to be used in cars unless clearly visible in a bracket on-top of the Dash with all the correct Hands free connections. The Gov has just enacted those new laws which are going to be vigorously enforced by the police which carry $300 fines plus 3 points lost. Most people always entered a roundabout behind who ever was on it already (The rule) and indicate when leaving, but someone saw there was some more revenue to be had if they policed it more. The same with the phones, who hasn't answered their phone while driving.? We all think we are too good a driver for it to not matter. It's not clear as to what will happen if pulled over and you have a phone switched on and in your pocket or on your belt.? another penalty like bald tires etc;.
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:25 am

Mike it's all about political correctness and money. I will happily put up with the trials and tribulations here any day.

Here is one from Canada about the money grab.

Winnipeg leaves school zones unmarked to raise speeding-ticket revenue: group

By Steve Mertl | Daily Brew – Thu, 1 Nov, 2012

No one likes speed traps, except maybe civic revenuers who see them as cash machines.

A group called Wise Up Winnipeg that opposes enforcement tools such as photo radar and red-light cameras now is accusing the city of neglecting to replace missing or degraded school-zone signs in a deliberate attempt to generate speeding-ticket revenue.

The group makes no mention of this in its news release this week, which warned the city is ignoring the provincial legislation by failing to replace 206 school-zone signs, 166 of which it says have been missing for more than three years. It said the problem affects more than half of Winnipeg schools.

"The Highway Traffic Act has certain provisions to protect children in school zones which can only be enforced and adhered to by motorists with proper signing present." Wise Up Winnipeg founder Todd Dube said in the release.  "With the current state of signing, these provisions are essentially useless and a hazard to our children."

But in an interview with the National Post, Dube claimed Winnipeg intentionally removes the signs so it can write more tickets.

"It pains me to see people pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars in tickets when they're in violation of nothing," he said. "It is the most egregious thing I've ever seen and I decided to stop it."

Wise Up Winnipeg has long contended the city intentionally traps speeders with inadequate signs in school zones and approaching photo-radar cameras, which dot Winnipeg streets if data on the web siteCanadian Speed Traps is accurate.

For its part, the city has been candid about requiring police to write more traffic tickets, the Post said.
Three months after Chief Keith McCaskill told the city's finance committee last year that it could expect a $1.4-million shortfall in traffic-ticket revenue as police focused more resources on gang violence, orders went out to officers to up their ticket counts, the Post said.

The policy doesn't sit well with the cops.
"Tickets should be handed out where warranted; it shouldn't be based on revenue," Mike Sutherland, president of the Winnipeg Police Association, told the Post.

Wise Up Winnipeg said in addition to the missing signs in school zones, there are 32 signs on streets that don't even have schools, which diminishes the effectiveness of properly placed signs.

"It also shows the city does have the resources to install signs; they're just misused" said Dube.

The problem extends to playgrounds, which are just as poorly marked as school zones, Wise Up Winnipeg contended.

The Winnipeg Sun reported the city will spend $1 million erecting new signs at 230 Winnipeg schools with pupils in Grade 6 or below, cutting the speed limit there to 30 km/h from 50 km/h. It's awaiting approval from the province.

Sun columnist Tom Broadbeck, an outspoken opponent of photo radar and speed traps, previously condemned the police's speed-enforcement approach.

"If police want buy-in from the public on its Safe Streets program, they should show us how specific speed traps and photo radar vehicles are reducing the number of crashes where the technology is being used," Brodbeck wrote on his blog last January.

"I suspect police do not release those figures because many of these speed traps aren't designed for safety reasons. They are designed to raise revenues."
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:29 pm

I repeat , where is it all going to end.? This Political Correctness and more importantly, revenue raising. When are "The Sheep" ! going to revolt against the march of the Bureaucrats and their relentless pursuit of our freedom and money.? I often feel like doing a "Mel Gibson" just before they beheaded him in Braveheart, and shouting to the sky, Freeeee---dooooomm !
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 pm

And to think when I was young we drank form the garden hose and yet I'm still here....

Australian children to be banned from blowing out candles on birthday cakes together because they might spread germs
They must also wash hands before playing in sandpit

New guidelines issued by National Health and Medical Research Council
By RICHARD SHEARS

PUBLISHED: 12:56 GMT, 6 February 2013 | UPDATED: 08:05 GMT, 7 February 2013

Australian children are to be banned from blowing out candles together on birthday cakes – because they could be puffing germs onto one another.

And in what is seen as an attempt to ‘bubble wrap’ children, youngsters attending birthday parties will be told to take along individual cup cakes on which to place single candles.

The extraordinary new guidelines from the country’s National Health and Medical Research Council has provoked an angry response from parents who say that the ‘nanny state’ is trying to take all the fun out of birthday parties.

Even doctors say that the birthday rules are going to far – because children are also now expected to wash their hands before jumping into a sandpit to play with their friends.

Day care staff will also be instructed to wash toys, doorknobs floors and cushion covers every day to prevent the spread of germs.

The guidelines state that kids who want to blow out a candle at birthday parties should bring their own cupcakes to avoid blowing germs over one another when they puff on a shared cake.

‘Children love to blow out their candles while their friends are signing “Happy birthday”’ states a guidelines document from the research council.

But it adds: ‘To prevent the spread of germs when the child blows out the candles, parents should either provide a separate cupcake, with a candle if they wish, for the birthday child.’

Alternative, it says, enough cupcakes should be provided for the other children – or a large cake that can be cut up into portions and shared should be made available.

Turning to sandpits, the council says that children must wash their hands with alcohol sanitiser before and afterwards.

The guidelines have astonished Australian Medical Association president Mr Steve Hambleton.

‘If somebody sneezes on a cake, I probably don’t want to eat it either – but if you’re blowing out candles, how many organisms are transferred to a communal cake, for goodness sake?’ he told Sydney’s Daily Telegraph.

Mr Hambleton also attacked the new sandpit rules, saying that all that was necessary was for children to wash their hands before they ate.

‘It’s normal and healthy to be exposed to a certain amount of environmental antigens that building up our immune systems.

‘If you live in a plastic bubble you’re going to get infections (later in life) that you can’t handle,’ he told the paper.

Also attacking the ‘clean hands’ rules, Miss Gwynn Bridge, president of the Australian Childcare Alliance said she was certain parents did not disinfect the door handles at home every day.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:37 pm

BBKBILL,
I think Richard Shears needs to stop working for The Daily Mail, or else they need to get a new subeditor and correct all his grammatical and spelling errors: E.G.
"Even doctors say that the birthday rules are going to far".
He can certainly sensationalise a story and make a storm in a teacup. Must have worked for Rupert Murdoch.
The National Health and Medical Research Council needs a good kick in the knackers. I wonder where they'll publish their guidelines, or better yet, who will have the stupidity to publish them?
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:58 pm

RR,
it get me wondering as this is not my concept of down under but rules are rules. And to think in my younger days thought I would like to move there and it wasn’t for the pansies.......

Luckily I didn’t follow up on that one. :mrgreen:

Mine you Google had 2,080,000 results in .41 seconds for "Australian children are to be banned from blowing out candles together on birthday cakes" it’s not just Richard Shears.
BKKBILL

Next

Return to general