petrol in Thailand

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 am

payebacs wrote: bring back maggie thatcher that's what I say


Let's not turn this into a political debate but that is most certainly a controversial view - http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=150369015

The days of two GBP's to the Euro and the US Dollar are long gone ... as unfortunately is 60Baht; when I moved here permanently in 2007 it was 70Baht! The UK is in the mire along with Europe and the US and the future of all three is intrinsically linked ... it's often been said that "If the US sneezes the UK catches a cold" and it's till true for the US but also for Europe. We will never adopt the Euro but with our markets so dependent on them can't avoid sharing a similar fate.

Apologies for the off-topic musings but "He started it by mentioning the Iron Lady!" :lol: It would be good to be able to get by on a couple of hours sleep a night as she did ... but if the consequence is slipping into the abyss of dementia then I'll pass on that one.

Back to the OP: It's good for some of us Farang that fuel here is relatively cheap but when you take into account average earnings it's very expensive. Thailand is not far behind India ... where [relative to income] the price is the highest in the world and a [US] gallon of petrol costs more than average daily income. Venezuela at $0.09 per gallon (cheaper than bottled water) is the cheapest and that price gives some indication as to how much exorbitant [extortionate?] profit is being made elsewhere. Source: http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2012/05/highest-cheapest-gas-prices-by-country.html

Even with new developments in electric and hydrogen powered vehicles, don't expect your cost of motoring ever to come down unless you downsize .... the price you pay to use your vehicle has little to do with costs of production/supply and it's not in 'their' collective interests to make it cheaper for you to get about in your own vehicle.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:25 am

MGV12 wrote:Thailand is not far behind India ... where [relative to income] the price is the highest in the world and a [US] gallon of petrol costs more than average daily income. Venezuela at $0.09 per gallon

What's it always with these gallons? I know litres. As far as I know you can't buy petrol here per gallon. If you all keep talking gallons I won't be able to understand. Maybe that's better then. :D
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby payebacs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:28 am

MGV12 wrote:Let's not turn this into a political debate but that is most certainly a controversial view
I realise that and will hold my hands up to that. On the subject of europe though therefore just on that, I'd have her more hard lines stance back so yes, apologies, I should have been more specific. I don't think she'd have been borrowing money to give out to europe when we're supposed to be bankrupt ourselves. And she had a good hardline on terror and so forth so not all bad. According to the telegraph she foresore this whole euro crash. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100064330/margaret-thatcher-knew-the-single-currency-would-devastate-europe/As for petrol yes, someone's making a lot of money and it's not greece!
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
User avatar
payebacs
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 am

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby sirineou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:41 am

fredlk wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Thailand is not far behind India ... where [relative to income] the price is the highest in the world and a [US] gallon of petrol costs more than average daily income. Venezuela at $0.09 per gallon

What's it always with these gallons? I know litres. As far as I know you can't buy petrol here per gallon. If you all keep talking gallons I won't be able to understand. Maybe that's better then. :D

This is a good Online conversion tool I use,
http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm this is a link to the Volume calculator,, if you click home there are a dozen or more different conversion calculators.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 am

payebacs wrote:On the subject of europe though therefore just on that, I'd have her more hard lines stance back so yes, apologies, I should have been more specific. I don't think she'd have been borrowing money to give out to europe when we're supposed to be bankrupt ourselves. And she had a good hardline on terror and so forth so not all bad. According to the telegraph she foresore this whole euro crash.


All of them they have their good points and I for one don't single her out as all bad ... if I were to chose any PM to be stood against the wall in recent times it would be Gordon Brown :roll: :evil:

And Fred ... get over this gallon-phobic stance :wink: That was merely a comparison site and it wouldn't matter if they were talking minims, jiggers or buckets :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 am

payebacs wrote:she had a good hardline on terror and so forth so not all bad. According to the telegraph she foresore this whole euro crash.

We liberals / human rights activists / freedom fighters / you name it used to refer to her as a demented old cow. Our wishes came true.
She was a great pal of Pinochet. He liked murdering his people and so did Vorster / Botha etc. in South Africa. She called Nelson Mandela a terrorist. To me she's a non-person / inhuman.
I hated her and I still do. I don't hate many people and don't dislike that many, but she is top of my list.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 am

MGV12 wrote:it wouldn't matter if they were talking minims, jiggers or buckets :)

I understand the buckets from partying on Koh Phangan but jiggers to litres has me stumped.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 am

There are approx 33.81 ounces in a litre. A jigger is equal to 1.5 ounces. 33.81 divided by 1.5 equals 22.54 or 22 and a half jiggers in a 1 litre bottle.
Publicans like to work on 15 + jiggers to a bottle... the rest is profit. Or, they water it down and make a bit more...unless they are caught.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5288
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:There are approx 33.81 ounces in a litre. A jigger is equal to 1.5 ounces. 33.81 divided by 1.5 equals 22.54 or 22 and a half jiggers in a 1 litre bottle.
Publicans like to work on 15 + jiggers to a bottle... the rest is profit. Or, they water it down and make a bit more...unless they are caught.


Just for Fred ... 1 jigger = roughly 0.04436 litre or 0.01172 US [liquid] gallon .... or indeed 0.00976 proper UK gallon

So easy enough to do in your head really :roll:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Whether it's a Jigger or ltr, it's too bloody dear, can't wait for this to hit the road.







r



Documents
Flagged
Photos (2)
New category

Messenger

Sign in to Messenger
Home
Contacts
Calendar

New
|
Reply

|






|


-
Subject: FW: Air car
There are no keys, just an access card which can be read by the car from your pocket. According to the designers, it costs less than 50 rupees (approx. $1.12 US) per 100 KM, that's about a tenth the cost of a car running on gas. It's mileage is about double that of the most advanced electric car, a factor which makes it a perfect choice for city motorists. The car has a top speed of 105 KM per hour or 60 mph and would have a range of around 300 km or 185 miles between refuels. Refilling the car will take place at adapted gas stations with special air compressors. A fill up will only take two to three minutes and costs approximately 100 rupees and the car will be ready to go another 300 kilometers.

This car can also be filled at home with it's on board compressor. It will take 3-4 hours to refill the tank, but it can be done while you sleep.

Because there is no combustion engine, changing the 1 liter of vegetable oil is only necessary every 50,000 KM or 30,000 miles. Due to its simplicity, there is very little maintenance to be done on this car.

This Air Car almost sounds too good to be true. We'll see in August. 2012
Mike Judd
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am
Location: Church Point Sydney N.S.W. Australia. Khon Kaen

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Subject: FW: Air car
There are no keys, just an access card which can be read by the car from your pocket. According to the designers, it costs less than 50 rupees (approx. $1.12 US) per 100 KM, that's about a tenth the cost of a car running on gas. It's mileage is about double that of the most advanced electric car, a factor which makes it a perfect choice for city motorists. The car has a top speed of 105 KM per hour or 60 mph and would have a range of around 300 km or 185 miles between refuels. Refilling the car will take place at adapted gas stations with special air compressors. A fill up will only take two to three minutes and costs approximately 100 rupees and the car will be ready to go another 300 kilometers.

This car can also be filled at home with it's on board compressor. It will take 3-4 hours to refill the tank, but it can be done while you sleep.

Because there is no combustion engine, changing the 1 liter of vegetable oil is only necessary every 50,000 KM or 30,000 miles. Due to its simplicity, there is very little maintenance to be done on this car.

This Air Car almost sounds too good to be true. We'll see in August. 2012


This is it with the body removed .... can hardly wait :lol:


“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby sirineou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:48 pm

This is a more attractive version of the compressed air vehicle.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:17 pm

sirineou wrote:This is a more attractive version of the compressed air vehicle.

Yes, BUT this topic is titled petrol in Thailand not air in India or Pigs in Space.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby sirineou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 pm

fredlk wrote:
sirineou wrote:This is a more attractive version of the compressed air vehicle.

Yes, BUT this topic is titled petrol in Thailand not air in India or Pigs in Space.

First ,,, I am not the one who introduced the subject of Compressed ait cars in to this Thread.
Second,,,, Compressed air cars are much more apropos to this tread the let's say..... Pinochet or Margaret Thatcher , would you not agree?
Or is it not true that,What's good for the goose is good for the gander
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: petrol in Thailand

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:31 pm

fredlk wrote: Pigs in Space.


I must have missed that post ... was it moderated?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

PreviousNext

Return to general

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest