SNAKE! Is it poisonous?

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

SNAKE! Is it poisonous?

Postby MGV12 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 am

For those of you who don't like killing creatures unless they are a real threat to you and yours ... these sites may be helpful:

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_common.html

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_poisonous.html

If you are unlucky or foolish enough to get bitten, this site has some good info on what to do:

http://siamfoundation.org/snakes-thaila ... _and_Venom

And whilst on this cheery note --- here are some other poisonous animals that inhabit LOS:

http://www.siam-info.de/english/poisonous_animals.html

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: SNAKE! Is it poisonous?

Postby Nawty » Wed May 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Can we add a photo of my friends wife to the poisonous animal section ??
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
User avatar
Nawty
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Re: SNAKE! Is it poisonous?

Postby MGV12 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Nawty wrote:Can we add a photo of my friends wife to the poisonous animal section ??


I think they only list venomous creatures where there is an antidote available; divorce doesn't always do it and I don't believe that 'Crime of Passion' is recognised here .... maybe a holiday in France is called for!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: SNAKE! Is it poisonous?

Postby thailazer » Wed May 16, 2012 4:33 pm

When my wife was in the hospital a few years back from a Tiger Hornet sting, I heard a story of a young fellow dying from a sting just a few months before. After that experience, I carry benedryl tablets in all the vehicles to give a bit of time to get someone to the hospital.

Tiger Hornets are deadly critters. When my wife was stung, we got to the hospital in ten minutes, but her cheek was already the size of a softball, and she is not allergic to bees. When we told the ER staff what happened, she was put on a gurney immediately and treated. Never saw that at a Thai hospital before. Two nights stay and she was back to normal.

edit to add video.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ8W1hWdiyw
thailazer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 am

Re: SNAKE! Is it poisonous?

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 17, 2012 9:30 am

Killed one of these in our garage during the build.

If it wasn’t for my rottweiler attacking it giving me enough time to grab a board to finish him off who knows what the result would have been.

If I had known how deadly these snakes are think leaving it be would have been the best plan but we were living in the garage at the time.

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/ ... us-deadly/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: SNAKE! Is it poisonous?

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:04 am

BKKBILL wrote:Killed one of these in our garage during the build.

If it wasn’t for my rottweiler attacking it giving me enough time to grab a board to finish him off who knows what the result would have been.

If I had known how deadly these snakes are think leaving it be would have been the best plan but we were living in the garage at the time.


I reckon I would have been well cautious from the look of that thing ... but if my dog was having a go I would have done the same as you.

I did catch my cat laying into a snake yesterday ... but fortunately the non-deadly variety. It didn't even make an attempt to bite the cat even though he was giving it a right mugging.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: SNAKE! Is it poisonous?

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Not poisonous ... I think ... but just goes to show how small a space a snake can enter through.

DSCF0003.JPG


The piece showing is maybe 60cm and I would estimate the diameter at 3cm. Yet it managed to squeeze it's head through a hole 1cm in diameter ... how is one question ... the other is why? It's only a drain in the sala. The drain cover is not [easily] removable and the snake is bleeding at the entry point and still alive ... guess I'll just have to chop it off as there's no way of freeing it ... then hope I can flush the rest out so it doesn't rot and stink the place out. Shame really.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai


Return to general

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest