Funny! or Funny?

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Silly really

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:32 pm

MPs tell insurers they have themselves to blame for making UK the 'whiplash capital of the world'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/a ... z2anZNRbpQ

Maybe they should call it by another name :wink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindi_St_Clair

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:33 am

How many 4th graders in Thailand speak Russian, Korean and Chinese?
A lot apparently: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... e-shortage
Only the Silpa-archa family could think of this one.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 am

chive-best-51.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Builders of Spain’s InTempo skyscraper forget to add elevators

By Jordan Chittley | Daily Buzz – 21 hours ago

Update: The Blaze is reporting Spanish-speaking Twitter accounts are contradicting media reports on the lack of elevators for the upper section. Barcepundit, a Spanish blogger, has also posted a photoreportedly showing a control panel of the elevator showing at least 45 numbers on it. The blogger writes, "The building it ugly as hell, to be sure, but it does have elevators."

Buying a penthouse condo at a new building in Spain won't mean you are living the high life - it just means you really like walking up and down stairs.

The InTempo, a 47-storey residential skyscraper in the eastern coastal village of Benidorm that is currently under construction, was built without space for an elevator shaft. The first 20 floors have space, but a major architectural blunder left out the space for elevators on the top 27 floors.

The skyscraper, which will be the tallest residential building in the European Union, was dreamed up in the decade-long building boom of the 1990s and was supposed to be a striking symbol of prosperity despite the current financial hard times. It was supposed to open in 2009, but a number of setbacks have continued to delay the opening.

The project has been a mess from the beginning due to deadly accidents, bad loans, missed deadlines and bankrupt builders. The project was first funded by the bank Caixa Galicia, but as of December, the project was taken over by Sareb, "known as the bad bank." According to the Daily News, Caixa Galicia didn't pay workers for four months. That was around the time they realized the workers were hauling materials up 23 flights of stairs because there wasn't a service elevator.

The lack of an elevator for the top floors is just the latest problem. Gizmodo reports the building was originally only going to have 20 storeys, but the developers increased it to 47 too late into construction. A 47-storey elevator requires more space for lifts and motor equipment than a 20-storey one and that just doesn't exist.

It remains unclear how developers are going to fix this problem, but there is a solution. They can build a series of external elevators similar to the Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles. However, that would really increase the price of construction.
And developers most likely won't be able to pass that cost onto the new home owners because people already aren't buying. The structure is 94 per cent complete and only 35 per cent of the units have been sold.
While this is an obvious set back in a country already dealing with significant financial issues, the silver lining is it may mean more construction jobs.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-bu ... 59230.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:39 am

Now you be careful out there on the streets folks:

Historical documentary posted for amusement only ... please seek qualified medical help if watching it gives you problems :wink:

Not everything you see in 'Silly really' should be taken seriously ... this is what passed for children's entertainment when I was a wee lad. Note it's monochrome and 405 lines ... not quite Full HD :roll:

MGV12

Re: Silly really - Funny! and Funny?

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:34 am

animated-laughing.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:46 am

MGV12 wrote:his is what passed for children's entertainment when I was a wee lad. Note it's monochrome and 405 lines ... not quite Full HD

It's a pity "Intelectual property rights" weren't in force in those days; Chubby Checker could have sued them for millions. It took me half the song to work out they were singing, I use that word lightly, "Let's twist again".
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:It's a pity "Intelectual property rights" weren't in force in those days; Chubby Checker could have sued them for millions..

Except of course ... as I'm sure you know :wink: .. he didn't write it. Kal Mann and Dave Appell

Incredible the money some have made by writing songs ... in Bernie Taupin's case just lyrics!

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Not something I am promoting ... in fact it is a substance I have limited personal experience of:

However, plants that occur in Nature have many benefits ... I watched a programme on the History Channel where it was quoted "If marijuana had never been discovered until today it would be welcomed as the greatest plant to ever benefit the health of mankind". As always we draw our own conclusions:

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 am

MGV12

Re: Funny! and Funny?

Postby MGV12 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:09 am

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Will be interesting to see if it stands the test of time ... why not? ... their sketches have:

It's NOT a dead parrot! Monty Python stars to reform 30 years after they last worked together

The cult comedy group Monty Python are to re-form officially, three decades after they last worked together.

The five surviving members John Cleese, 74, Terry Gilliam, 72, Terry Jones, 71, Eric Idle, 70, and Michael Palin, 70, will appear in the show, details of which have not yet been released.

This morning Terry Jones confirmed rumours the iconic team behind cult comedies such as their dead parrot sketch was getting back together, saying: 'We're getting together and putting on a show - it's real.'

article-2509802-00A4B8241000044C-585_634x454.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ether.html

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 am

MGV12 wrote:It's NOT a dead parrot!

Brian could bring it back to life. :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:47 pm

It’s a dog’s life

Q From Stephen P Goldman: Can you shed light on the meaning and origin of it’s a dog’s life? Those of us over 50 seem to use to suggest the need to accept the existential fact that things are hard; but in the under-50 set, the idea is that dogs have it easy, and so it’s a dog’s life equates to ‘how cushy’!

A It certainly seems that the phrase has become more ambiguous than it once was, though I’ve not come across many examples myself of its use as a description of a pampered existence. Most of our expressions that include dog are old enough to be based in times when dogs were not cosseted, but were kept as watchdogs or hunting animals, not as pets. They often weren’t allowed in the house, but were kept in kennels, fed scraps, worked hard, and often died young. So going to the dogs, dog tired, to die like a dog, dog’s dinner, dogsbody, dog eat dog, and a dog’s life all refer to a state of affairs best avoided. Specifically, a dog’s life is first recorded in the sixteenth century and seems to have remained in the language with the sense of “a life of misery, or of miserable subserviency” ever since. I’d hate to lose it myself.

It would appear that this guy has a different interpretation:

Man wants to live life as a dog
Gary Matthews eats, sleeps and dresses like a canine, but the state of Pennsylvania won't allow him to change his name to 'Boomer The Dog.'

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-cultu ... e-as-a-dog

Then again ... maybe he's just a 'nutter' or attention seeker! :roll:

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:47 am

MARRY? Why why

You have two choices in life: You can stay single and be miserable, or get married and wish you were dead.

They all said the same thing: 'You can have mine.'

Dad replied, 'That happens in every country, son.'

'A Woman's Prayer:
Dear Lord, I pray for: Wisdom, to understand a man, to love and to forgive him, and for Patience, for his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death'

AND NOW FOR THE FAVORITE!!!

Husband and wife are waiting at the bus stop with their nine children.
A blind man joins them after a few minutes. When the bus arrives, they find it overloaded and only the wife and the nine kids are able to fit onto the bus.
So the husband and the blind man decide to walk. After a while, the husband gets irritated by the ticking of the stick of the blind man as he taps it on the sidewalk, and says to him, 'Why don't you put a piece of rubber at the end of your stick? That ticking sound is driving me crazy.'
The blind man replies, 'If you had put a rubber at the end of YOUR stick, we'd be riding the bus, so shut the hell up.'

MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to general