"Grand Designs" on TV

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: "Grand Designs" on TV

Postby andymac » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Wow!

The white and glass house is stunning, it ticks all the boxes for me, even down to the drystone wall.
Thanks Fred for sharing.

But is it possible to build something like this in Thailand? I know a glass wall without a shading device is going to be a major problem.
I've developed a design with extensive use of glass to take full advantage of the mountain views, time will tell if I've managed to resolve the thermal gain issues.

Fred - love your build BTW, Thanks again.
andymac

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:44 pm

andymac wrote:Fred - love your build BTW

Thanks. :D
andymac wrote:The white and glass house is stunning, it ticks all the boxes for me, even down to the drystone wall.
......... But is it possible to build something like this in Thailand?

For me too, but it is really a cold weather house. Build it here and you'll fry.
In North Wales they use the sun and those windows to warm up the house ...... that is if the sun is shining.
fredlk

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:10 pm

fredlk wrote:
andymac wrote:Fred - love your build BTW

Thanks. :D
andymac wrote:The white and glass house is stunning, it ticks all the boxes for me, even down to the drystone wall.

For me too, but it is really a cold weather house. Build it here and you'll fry.

If you were to construct such a building in Thailand you would need a lot more overhang from the roof / veranda's etc for sun-shade and heat reflecting glass.
Ians

Postby andymac » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:22 pm

[/quote]

If you were to construct such a building in Thailand you would need a lot more overhang from the roof / veranda's etc for sun-shade and heat reflecting glass.[/quote]

I've just uploaded the design idea for my first house here;
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4722&p=61319#p61319

It's changed somewhat since the initial concept, adding extended roof and outdoor deck, I'll post the latest pictures later.
But, yes I'm still concerned about the "frying possibilities"
andymac

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 pm

I could be wrong with this but maybe Thailand is a bit backward up to now with Termite treatments, as I said it has been a problem since day one, so with houses getting eaten out with the owners not knowing until it collapsed, something had to be done. I've seen houses 100years old in the middle of the city of Sydney , where it was all brick except for the attic and roof ,and all the timber behind the plaster was a hollow shell. My Boat shed was the same , I went to renew the cement cladding with Western Red Cedar planking ,only to find lots of the framing was hollow, it had been eaten out long ago , the previous owner must have got rid of them before it collapsed. I got the Pest people in to check out the house $350 , but there were no signs now.
Mike Judd

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:49 pm

andymac wrote:

If you were to construct such a building in Thailand you would need a lot more overhang from the roof / veranda's etc for sun-shade and heat reflecting glass.[/quote]

I've just uploaded the design idea for my first house here;
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4722&p=61319#p61319

It's changed somewhat since the initial concept, adding extended roof and outdoor deck, I'll post the latest pictures later.
But, yes I'm still concerned about the "frying possibilities"[/quote]

don't know about "frying" more likely bake in a hot oven.
Ians

Postby fredlk » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Last night the 1st episode of Grand Designs Australia series 5 featured a flood-proof house built out of containers on the river in Brisbane for A$500,000:
Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at Friday - 10 Oct 2014 - 14.39.30 .png

Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at Friday - 10 Oct 2014 - 14.50.06 .png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Grand Designs UK this week was a so-called Code 6 house in Norfolk that had to meet very strict environmental standards in order for the owner to be allowed to move in. :roll:
It cost 260,000 Pounds Sterling:
Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at Friday - 10 Oct 2014 - 17.56.04 .png

Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at Friday - 10 Oct 2014 - 17.56.27 .png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:46 pm

fredlk wrote:Grand Designs UK this week was a so-called Code 6 house in Norfolk that had to meet very strict environmental standards in order for the owner to be allowed to move in. :roll:
It cost 260,000 Pounds Sterling:

OK if you like things like that, but a bit OTT for me.

studiobark wrote:This elegant solution for an affordable & environmental family home won permission unanimously at planning committee through Paragraph 55 (National Planning Policy Framework), which relates to building in rural areas where only designs of ‘exceptional quality’, designed to ‘the highest architectural standards’ are approved. Springfield House was the first Code Level 6 building designed and built in the UK to gain planning permission through this policy; making it an exemplary project for all involved in the construction industry.

Springfield House sits on virgin land in rural Norfolk, with a southern aspect & a gentle slope towards the valley of the river Tud. The two timber clad periscopic balconies frame the beautiful views to the valley, but also act as fixed passive solar shading, proportioned to respond directly to summer & winter sun angles. This ensures that the hot summer sun is blocked, whereas the cooler winter sun is able to enter into the thermal envelope with very little obstruction.

A locally sourced amelanchier tree has been transplanted in front of the southern aspect of the building, and once established will provide additional seasonal solar shading. A high level openable rooflight and a substantial GGBS concrete trombé wall & stair provides for a low impact & season specific passive heating and cooling system.

High ceilings & a generous open courtyard ensure that the plan depth is minimised, accompanied with low level openable windows, (positioned to make the most of prevailing winds) efficient occupant controlled natural ventilation is provided. On teh very coldest winter days, the building is heated with a small, efficient log gasification boiler, utilising seasoned firewood from the adjacent woodlands. The firewood will be sourced from the waste timber of nurse trees, planted to encourage the growth of final crop timber.

All site spoil unearthed during excavation has been used for the landscaping, hugely reducing the impact on the UK’s landfill sites, whilst also reducing transport footprints. All the Western Red Cedar used for the cladding was sourced from the local woodlands, situated just 500m from the site and was milled by mobile saw mill. The planks were stacked ‘in stick’ in the adjacent and redundant farm buildings before being processed, graded and installed by a team of masters architecture students from UEL.

“My luck started the day Wilf came around for a cup of tea and a tentative meeting. From then on he managed to take my jumbled ideas and a box file of cuttings and arrange them into a coherent, inspiring and ultimately massively exciting, beautiful and original design. Wilf has managed to gently guide me through the perils of planning, the various obstacles that invariably crop up within a code 6 build with humour and a calm that belies his years. I am and continue to be astonished by his work ethic and dedication to this build. I absolutely know he is instrumental in making this a reality.” – client, Natasha Cargill
Screen Shot 2014-10-10 at Friday - 10 Oct 2014 - 17.56.27 .png
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:OK if you like things like that, but a bit OTT for me.

For me too but the likes of you could build it as it's mostly wood - and paper and fly-ash. :D

The whole procedure was a bureaucratic nightmare to get built. They got points for keeping notes, points were deducted for not having showers on-site for the builders or lockers for their things. Extra points for a bicycle shed and for a very small bath.

Building in the UK seems to have been reduced to passing exams. :shock:
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:06 pm

The curse of Grand Designs?

Veritable insanity ... few could have the drive or finances to execute such a project. Ambitious in the extreme and although a stunning result it could now apparently backfire on the creators ... they couldn't understand why nobody had taken up the challenge before them ... now maybe they do as they are still trying to sell their "project of a lifetime" ...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... price.html

We need a few more of this kind of insane person around. :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:04 pm

MGV12 wrote:Ambitious in the extreme

I thought it more ridiculous than ambitious. They threw money at it just for the sake of it.
It's a folly in both senses of the word.
fredlk

Postby Ians » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Why would you bother?
Ians

Postby andymac » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:50 pm

fredlk wrote:Series 14 started last night and the first house is right up my street - even though it's in North Wales. It's eye-watering and mouth-wateringly beautiful:

I finally got around to downloading the show last night and the house really is a beauty. The way they've incorporated the natural stone wall into the bedroom is the look I'm after for my small weekend place.
It was a shock to see the cliff erosion issues they have. I'm not sure I could take that kind of risk.
Thanks again Fred :)
andymac

Postby MGV12 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Catching up with GD I just watched the episode about Cloontykilla Castle in Ireland ... very entertaining and another [I love them] insane person with a dream .... that is still not completed!

Sean Simons [the owner] is certainly a driven man and it amused me that his build in Ireland was in some ways a mirror image of that which many experience in Thailand ..... he had no architect ... he made changes 'on the fly' ... he told them where to build walls and that's where they built them ... he then decided he wanted them moved! Worth viewing and an example of how not to build or restore a house. The Financial Crisis prevented him from finishing the build but neither Kevin [the host] nor I are convinced he would have ever finished it anyway :lol: He has his own asking for donations to finish it ... any offers?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to general