"Grand Designs" on TV

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

"Grand Designs" on TV

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Season 10 started last night. The first house is a wooden house. Almost entirely from wood and so again not really transplantable to Thailand.
Screen shot 2010-09-16 at Thursday - 16 Sep 2010 - 13.33.05 .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Re: "Grand Designs" on TV

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:01 pm

If anyone is ever looking for a full list of what has and will be broadcast, it's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Designs_episodes
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:19 pm

fredlk wrote:If anyone is ever looking for a full list of what has and will be broadcast, it's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Designs_episodes

Disappointed to have missed the first one but thanks for the info Fred .... what source do you use?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:23 pm

MGV12 wrote: .... what source do you use?

Answers in a sealed envelope. :wink:
fredlk

Postby tamsin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:43 am

That looks like a very nice design. Sure you could get a Thai builder to knock you one up here. They've been making wooden houses since they arrived here :D

I think I'll submit my 'grand design' and see if they'll profile it. <edit: Advertising - MGV12>
tamsin

Postby fredlk » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:06 am

tamsin wrote:That looks like a very nice design. Sure you could get a Thai builder to knock you one up here. They've been making wooden houses since they arrived here :D

I did not say it could not be built. I refer to the termite population here making the building of a wooden house inadvisable.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:07 pm

I have just watched Grand Designs Abroad episode 1 about the house in Malaga. I seemed to have missed that one somehow.
Not to everybody's taste of course, but many things similarly done to here in Thailand, for example everything in concrete and steel.
It was built by a British architect for his father a British architect with the help of a Spanish architect.
There were some things that they still got wrong.
One is that the the windows in the glass-box living room don't slide open and another is that the 3 separate buildings don't have a covered walkway between them.
malaga.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am

Last night saw the first episode of 9 in the first series of "Grand Designs Australia". I haven't watched it yet.
If anybody would like to know where to watch it or where to get hold of a copy, let me know by PM.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/09/airdate-grand-designs-australia.html

And at http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/10/grand-designs-australia.html:

Grand Designs Australia - By David Knox on October 15, 2010Filed Under Pay TV, Reviews

There’s a plethora of home renovation shows vying for your attention. Shows that give you homemaker tips, shows that pit home designer against home designer and shows that spruce up your house for auction. Arguably the most popular of them all is the UK’s Grand Designs -not so much a renovation show as a show about home building. At its heart are stories about real people with dreams to build their very own castle. Most of the homes and self-builders featured in the show are one out of the box. They are bold, lavish, innovative, historical, impossible, ridiculous. There to guide us through the storytelling is host Kevin McCloud. Now the LifeStyle Channel unveils its long-awaited adaptation, Grand Designs Australia, produced by FremantleMedia Australia. Hosting this first international version is architect Peter Maddison. More than a year in the making, this is a show that is a labour of love. But this perfectly matches its subjects.

The first episode features construction manager Chris Clarke, who was working so many hours in his city-job that he became a victim of chronic fatigue. But after 7 years he built a haven in the Victorian rural town of Calignee, a dream home in the bush that was his personal retreat. He finished the home in January 2009. Two weeks later it was razed to the ground by the Black Saturday fires. It’s this kind of personal story that draws you in. Now with the cameras documenting every stage of his recovery, Clarke is rebuilding “Calignee 2″, which promises to rise Phoneix-like from the ashes. What is always so remarkable about the Grand Designs brand is that the viewer sees the narrative unfolding from a blank canvas. Maddison walks through the burnt shell of “Calignee 1″ as Clarke begins to outline his next dream. It’s impossible to grasp how such a home, and such an individual, could rise from such despondency. Eye-catching graphics illustrate the new home so that we can share in the vision. Clarke’s ideas are ultra-modern, ultra-green and hell bent on being a fire-proof furnace. He has $400,000 from insurance to realise it -meaning he has had to scale back from his original 3 bedrooms to just 1. During the building stages, Clarke is hands-on. He picks out every rock, every old beam and oversees every nail going into place. His building crew are none too pleased by the scrutiny. There are challenges with budgets, near-disasters and a looming deadline. But it’s impossible to ignore Clarke’s passion, and we completely empathise with his circumstance. Maddison’s narration points out the challenges and helps highlight Clarke’s emotion. Unlike some observational series, his is no post-production voice-over. He’s even seen pitching in with the labour. Points for that. As expected, the finished home is a work of contemporary art. Slap a Spa Retreat sign out the front and I’d be there for the weekend.

The series features nine ambitious homes across the country, capturing the bush, the city and the beach. One house being showcased is said to have been lost along the way (now there’s some drama that would make good telly). Like the homes it is filming, this is a faithful reconstruction that takes a blueprint and begins to build with an eye for detail. Sure the host isn’t Kevin McCloud, but Maddison is clearly invested and informed in both the projects and the people he is presenting.
fredlk

Postby splitlid » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:30 am

i watched it last night and loved the weathered steel so much im gunna use it on my next concept design. :D
splitlid

Postby fredlk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:43 pm

splitlid wrote:i watched it last night and loved the weathered steel so much im gunna use it on my next concept design. :D

:? :shock: :( Yikes. I thought that the finished house looked like a tanker already half-scrapped on a beach in Bangladesh and waiting for the rest of the work to be done.
Seriously, I haven't seen such an ugly house in ages. He obviously didn't need planning permission.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Last night's episode was a truly brilliant and beautiful pre-fabricated house.
Photos of the construction process here: http://www.adaptahaus.co.uk/progress.php.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Grand Designs Australia episode 2 featured a prefabricated house in Sydney.
All walls and floors were built in the factory and then craned into place.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.jpg

8.JPG

9.JPG
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Grand Designs Australia episode 3 was the restoration of a Queenslander on the Gold Coast for a whopping 550,000 Australian $ (16.5 million Baht).

Grand Designs.jpg
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Australia episode 4 a prefab home for 2.5 million Australian $ (74 million Baht)!!
I thought prefabs were supposed to be cheap.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Yesterday's Australia episode 6 featured a large (huge) house in the Cape Cod / Hamptons style on the Gold Coast. Not my taste.
It cost 2 million Australian Dollars and the windows alone cost 3 million Thai Baht. :?
fredlk

Next

Return to general