Anyone having second thoughts?.

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby fredlk » Sat May 22, 2010 8:18 pm

BKKBILL wrote:I think the vast majority of Thais are friendly, hard working, giving and have a can do attitude. That in itself makes living here a good experience

Well said. I agree wholeheartedly.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby MrRee » Sun May 23, 2010 8:07 am

@developer3d

Those for whom the quote was NOT referring to are not the ones getting all bent up about it. And why would they? :lol:

@BKKBILL

Do any of you guys actually READ the forum stickies before posting? I don't think so. Here is what it says for the "Your Building Story" section of the site. Note the date - the intent of that section of the site has not changed since then:

dozer wrote:Read me before you post here

Postby dozer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:21 am
Please post your general building experiences from anywhere in Thailand here. Note; there are regional forums, but these are for discussions only of interest in that area, so if you are looking for a bricklayer in Udon Thani post the query in the regional forums: Issan provinces - if you want to relate your overall building experiences in Udon Thani post it here! Funny story, strange occurances, anything that makes an interesting story, put it here.

If you have some questions in your post, make a new thread out of them. Example: We have almost completed our dream house in Bangkok. The build lasted for about 4 months, ..... etc. etc. which brings me to one question. Why is it that houses here in general don't use pilings? Should they? ---> Post the questions about pilings as a separate thread in the general category.

In other words try to do only one thing with the post here, tell a story.....

So there ya go! What we have here is a group of people who DON'T read or follow directions, complaining about someone who does. :lol: You see how funny all this is to me? Is there anything at all in there that says "provide lots of pics and a learning experience"? No. Are most threads out of compliance? Yes. Is my thread in compliance? Yes. So, really you are quite WRONG in your criticism.

Facts about my posting history can easily be fact checked: It starts off with a bunch of basic questions gathering info about contracts, builder profit margins, land prices, available materials, etc. all the way through Q1 of 2010. I've offered "instructional" suggestions posted in exactly Three (as in 3) topics outside my Building House in Udon thread. I'll name them for you: french drains, sinking pillars, and insect control (just yesterday). So, anyone can see how you all make yourselves look not only foolish, but hypocritical when you say things like that then fact check your own posting history. Those of you who are whining the loudest have some know-it-all advice for pretty much every topic posted as if anyone posting anything is REQUIRED to seek your advice and/or approval. Really, you guys need to get a grip.

In THIS thread, my reply to the OP's open question was just that - my reply to the OP's open question from my own personal perspective. It had no mention of any other poster or topic, yet it is amusing that you guys hijacked this entire thread and made it about me despite my earlier protests to leave me out of it. Really, am I that interesting or are your lives really that miserable? :lol:

So as it seems you are all gathered here and outed yourselves in one place, please...really...IGNORE me if you are offended by the ***Commercial Break*** in the first post of my Building House in Udon thread. That was the intent.
MrRee
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 pm

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:14 am

MrRee wrote:
Facts about my posting history can easily be fact checked: It starts off with a bunch of basic questions gathering info about contracts, builder profit margins, land prices, available materials, etc. all the way through Q1 of 2010. I've offered "instructional" suggestions posted in exactly Three (as in 3) topics outside my Building House in Udon thread. I'll name them for you: french drains, sinking pillars, and insect control (just yesterday). So, anyone can see how you all make yourselves look not only foolish, but hypocritical when you say things like that then fact check your own posting history. Those of you who are whining the loudest have some know-it-all advice for pretty much every topic posted as if anyone posting anything is REQUIRED to seek your advice and/or approval. Really, you guys need to get a grip.

***Commercial Break***
This is a great website chock full of excellent info as you might already know, BUT beware that if you read enough posts, you will discover that many members who you think might be "gurus" really aren't - some are armchair gurus who have dabbled a bit and pass their days haunting Thailand forums like this one. BUT there are those who really do know what they are talking about and are consistent in their wisdom and advice. I will leave it to you to figure out who is real and who is faking it. I say this as a caveat and not so much as a criticism when weighing and following advice offered here.
*** End Commercial Break***


You sure are full of yourself aren't you?

The original post "Anyone having second thoughts" was and is a very important subject to many members in these difficult times. Many of the members who have reacted adversely to your post are not prone to such reaction and you appear bent on encouraging it with your annoyingly superior and supercilious approach and so, by [I suggest] conscious intent, it is you who are hijacking the post ......... and I for one am having serious second thoughts. We have had a number of 'contributors' whose prime intention appears to antagonise and annoy ..... you are just the latest in the line ..... if your are a compulsive and obsessive rule follower then that's what you are, you don't need to share your obsession with us so please keep it to yourself and just post information that you feel others might actually benefit from. However, I for one will be ignoring your posts in the future, as will others I am sure, thus making even your odd useful contribution valueless. Maybe this will add to your amusement.

Would members please continue the discussion "Anyone having second thoughts" as the experience of how the current times are affecting others is of value.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby setaputra » Sun May 23, 2010 9:35 am

I completely and unreservedly agree MGV.

This is of course Galee's thread and it should not have been highjacked in the way it has been.

It is ,as you say , potentially useful for everyone. I made some posts here which members may or may not agree with. But that is what a forum is, a place where you can freely express your views without faer or favour and certainly without flaming or highjacking. And always post with the intention of the post being helpful to others.

<edit out part of post, flamish and involves how site should be moderated/Dozer>
setaputra
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:46 am

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby fredlk » Sun May 23, 2010 9:43 am

MGV12 wrote:
MrRee wrote:
Facts about my posting history can easily be fact checked: It starts off with a bunch of basic questions gathering info about contracts, builder profit margins, land prices, available materials, etc. all the way through Q1 of 2010. I've offered "instructional" suggestions posted in exactly Three (as in 3) topics outside my Building House in Udon thread. I'll name them for you: french drains, sinking pillars, and insect control (just yesterday). So, anyone can see how you all make yourselves look not only foolish, but hypocritical when you say things like that then fact check your own posting history. Those of you who are whining the loudest have some know-it-all advice for pretty much every topic posted as if anyone posting anything is REQUIRED to seek your advice and/or approval. Really, you guys need to get a grip.

***Commercial Break***
This is a great website chock full of excellent info as you might already know, BUT beware that if you read enough posts, you will discover that many members who you think might be "gurus" really aren't - some are armchair gurus who have dabbled a bit and pass their days haunting Thailand forums like this one. BUT there are those who really do know what they are talking about and are consistent in their wisdom and advice. I will leave it to you to figure out who is real and who is faking it. I say this as a caveat and not so much as a criticism when weighing and following advice offered here.
*** End Commercial Break***


You sure are full of yourself aren't you?

The original post "Anyone having second thoughts" was and is a very important subject to many members in these difficult times. Many of the members who have reacted adversely to your post are not prone to such reaction and you appear bent on encouraging it with your annoyingly superior and supercilious approach and so, by [I suggest] conscious intent, it is you who are hijacking the post ......... and I for one am having serious second thoughts. We have had a number of 'contributors' whose prime intention appears to antagonise and annoy ..... you are just the latest in the line ..... if your are a compulsive and obsessive rule follower then that's what you are, you don't need to share your obsession with us so please keep it to yourself and just post information that you feel others might actually benefit from. However, I for one will be ignoring your posts in the future, as will others I am sure, thus making even your odd useful contribution valueless. Maybe this will add to your amusement.

Would members please continue the discussion "Anyone having second thoughts" as the experience of how the current times are affecting others is of value.

Hear, hear!! (Loud applause.)

The Euro is struggling back, the fire-bombed bank in my neighbourhood is being rebuilt, the roads are almost clean and trafic is becoming wonderfully congested and gridlocked once again. I never thought I would be so glad to see traffic jams. :D

When things quietened down I managed to go to my local superstore (yesterday) and I noticed that most people are pretty traumatised around here, but everyone is being a lot more gentle and accommodating than before the troubles started. Everybody seems to be doing their best to get things moving and to create a positive atmosphere so let us (Farang) do our bit as well. On with the building! On with the investment in this great country most of us now call home.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby setaputra » Sun May 23, 2010 12:51 pm

fredlk wrote:
developer3d wrote:fortunately almost all the other bad advise that his guy hands out has already been removed because when someone challenges him ( even midly worded as you say MGV12 ) he turn it nasty and dozer wipes out the whole thread.

Unfortunately some of his bad advice arrives by PM. I have decided to ignore him and it completely.



How do you ignore private messages on this forum then, fredlk?

I've had some really rude and insulting ones from him that I have reported to Dozer but he continues to post.

( This is not a comment about moderation. What dozer does is his business. I just don't want to receive or read anything from him. It is making this site unpleasant. )
setaputra
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:46 am

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby setaputra » Sun May 23, 2010 12:55 pm

developer3d wrote:I believe that Roger Ramjet said it best

Roger Ramjet wrote:I am here to learn about the pitfalls of building in Thailand before I commit up to 5 million baht (over 1.3 million already committed on the land alone) and it is not helpful when members post twaddle about gold, lessons learnt and shaky videos that are of little or no help.


I think most of us agree this is a forum about building in Thailand its not "TV" - the point I was making is that oversized french drains are not a viable long term flood management solution for reclaimed rice paddies.

You say
MrRee wrote:@developer3D
.... Nature wins - French drain not good for clay soil environments.


Rice paddies hold water because of their high clay based soils.

That is the connection - if you think I am picking "clay soils" out of this I just dont know what to say, french drains have their place I have built them and will continue to but they are not suitable for where/what you proposed, end of story.

I don't think anyone cares that you "want" to contribute, that's the point of the forum - its the "instructional" way that you communicate that gets people off side when your not a tradesmen or a builder or an architect or an engineer of any kind, in fact by your own admission this is your first house in Thailand, there is aboslutely no issue with that at all however when someone asks for "more information" or "references" like I have done several times if your a "jack of all trades" then we can learn from that as well. But you don't seem to be interested in discussion or even intelligent debate only your "opinion" and when people challenge you on something you start with the sarcasm and now the "race card " ?

You started on here with this opener

This is a great website chock full of excellent info as you might already know, BUT beware that if you read enough posts, you will discover that many members who you think might be "gurus" really aren't - some are armchair gurus who have dabbled a bit and pass their days haunting Thailand forums like this one. BUT there are those who really do know what they are talking about and are consistent in their wisdom and advice. I will leave it to you to figure out who is real and who is faking it


You drew attention to yourself from day one and followed up with your "opinions" and "take aways" like you know better than everyone else somehow.

If you cant see that then I think we have all wasted enough time on this entire discussion, I think you owe Setaputra an apology but that will be your choice.



I'm not holding my breath. I think we have the measure of the man. I just want to continue using this site where I post points or pics which I think are helpful and others do the same which benefit me. All in a friendly way. I don't like the flaming particularly by pm though I have reported it to no avail.
setaputra
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:46 am

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby setaputra » Sun May 23, 2010 1:05 pm

MrRee wrote:Setaputra,

Really, am I THAT interesting to you? Do you really believe that when people say "all", they literally mean "all"? Do you really think that members base their life decisions on what I post?

<edit - Dozer>.

There is a help line for you somewhere. :lol:


Please withdraw the last sentence.

Members are clearly telling you, MrRee, that they are unhappy - to say the least - with the way you are spoiling a very good and useful forum ( in my view and that of many members )

My criticism is of you not on moderation.
setaputra
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:46 am

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby fredlk » Sun May 23, 2010 1:08 pm

setaputra wrote:How do you ignore private messages on this forum then, fredlk?

"Add foe" to ignore posts and when you see a message in your inbox with "by MrRee" on the second line, just delete it unread.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:11 pm

The most fundamental laws in the Universe, 'mystery man' are those based on a general consensus of opinion.

Did you get it yet?

Please continue to post Mr Ree; if you fall in line with the general consensus of this forum, and thereby its members, you will be appreciated and read by them .... however, if you simply wish to antagonise people and dictate your biased opinion to them maybe you need to keep searching for an appropriate forum.

I wish you well whatever.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby MrRee » Sun May 23, 2010 1:18 pm

setaputra wrote:How do you ignore private messages on this forum then, fredlk?

I've had some really rude and insulting ones from him that I have reported to Dozer but he continues to post.

( This is not a comment about moderation. What dozer does is his business. I just don't want to receive or read anything from him. It is making this site unpleasant. )

Err...look...if you are going to continue, at least be honest. You know, and I am sure Dozer has already confirmed, you sent a flaming PM to me, FIRST. Which is fine. I welcome all PM's since when taking the conversation private, we can speak mano-a-mano. So when I send a SINGLE reply privately to your flame, try to be man enough to then not whine and mischaracterize in the open forum.
MrRee
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 pm

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby BKKBILL » Sun May 23, 2010 1:45 pm

fredlk wrote: Everybody seems to be doing their best to get things moving and to create a positive atmosphere so let us (Farang) do our bit as well. On with the building! On with the investment in this great country most of us now call home.


Yes on with the building and you are right it is time to move on. It is interesting as I do call this place my home now. And of course the wonderful thing about forms is you are the one who has complete control over what is read. Although it is hard to ignore posts at times the good the bad and the ugly.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D And still happy to be here :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Okay, now that everyone has had their say and counter say, it's time to move on.
Yesterday my wife, daughter and I, (minus the savage guard dog - pomeranian) had to go to Bumrungrad Hospital. All of us suffer in greater and lesser degrees to sinusitis/allergies and as our old Chinese/Thai specialist (ENT to the All Blacks) suddenly retired from Mayo Hospital we must take pot luck. (It is one of the many reasons we are moving out into the middle of rice paddies). We came off the freeway at Sukumvit (just next to the hospital) to be greeted by soldiers, many of them, all armed, however the police were also there and a simple "hospital" was enough to get us through.
For those that know Bumrungrad you must go out the back way to get back on the freeway as you cannot turn right where you come in. (You used to be able to, but the Thai police then found it was a great way to pay for their mea nois, so they placed a small hidden sign saying "no right turn" and the fine would vary (200-1,000) depending on the number of mea nois the policeman had. Because of this, I decided to see if I could get to Silom where my wife works and used the satnav in the car. (To be perfectly honest Honda should sack anyone who wrote the software for this satnav. Even using the Thai spelling it is impossible to use and the English version will cause you to kill both your passengers, file for divorce or even worse smash the car. Some Thai with a very serious personality problem wrote the software and it was purely to cause mayhem. (Example: Bumrungrad - that's how the hospital spells it, becomes Bumrangrad, Mayo (named after the famous Mayo Clinic becomes Meyo) and these are just 2 of the thousands of changes. So with that in mind and also if you have a favourite marked, you can get there. Fortunately I have my wife's work stored as a favourite. My daughter calls the satnav "Paris" after Paris Hilton - just another dizzy American blonde with a seductive voice that will get you into trouble.
I punched in my wife's work and after following just two instructions, go right, go right, found I was at an army checkpoint. All vehicles were not only being stopped and searched, but ID cards checked and in cases, the third degree applied. Any notion I had about getting to Silom was dispelled. I changed the setting to "home" and that's what we did, came home.
I will drive my wife to work on Monday, if it's not safe then, we will come home. My personal observation..... I have rarely seen so many young soldiers with bloodlust looks, not even in Vietnam. The Thai armed forces will have a major problem psychologically for years to come. There was a distinct lack of senior NCO's and Officers present which never bodes well.
Roger
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5284
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby fredlk » Sun May 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Regarding the situation at Silom, if you switch on the Thai tv or even the BBC you will see people out in their thousands today cleaning up the city. On the internet there are photo's at http://twitpic.com/photos/RichardBarrow. Silom Road is even being scrubbed with soap for the first time in its existence I would imagine.

The city has returned to normal and the soldiers are relatively thin on the ground. Tomorrow should be a normal day as in before April except that the buildings and streets, signposts, paving stones and street furniture will all be gleaming. I have not encountered any roadblocks, but I have not ventured east over the Rama IV yet.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby Nawty » Mon May 24, 2010 8:55 am

Geeez....and they used to complain about me !!

Guess I am off the 'most wanted list' now then huh ??
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
User avatar
Nawty
 
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 12:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to general

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest