Anyone having second thoughts?.

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Anyone having second thoughts?.

Postby apetley » Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 am

Anyone embarking on a build now after maybe making plans over the last 2 or 3 years has my sympathy.
I am very pleased that our build is now complete.
Most of the money was transferred over at rates between 65 and 71 bht to the pound so if I suddenly had to make plans at 45 bht then there would have to be considerable cost cutting/downsizing.
As for the future I cannot see the rate improving as interest rates in the UK are forecast to remain at historic lows for some time.
Only way it would go up is if the Tory/Lib Dem pact produces some economic miracle fast or if Thailand really does implode over the coming weeks. Can't see it happening myself but who knows. Must send wifey out to have a chat with her fortune teller.
apetley

Postby MrRee » Thu May 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Galee wrote:Due to the ongoing political situation and the value of my hard earned pounds dropping, I'm delaying the start of my build. The wife's idea. Not mine.
Just wondering what the opinions of the members on here are?
Is there anyone who is in the middle of a build who's regretting it, or having second thoughts?

Nope. No worries whatsoever. All my funds are in the form of the physical yellow stuff stored in a few banks. As the currency situation worsens, my build and living here gets cheaper. Just a trip to the bank and then the corner yellow stuff store to sell when needed.

As for the political situation, still no worries. What happens in Bangkok doesn't change squat upcountry. Life goes on as usual. Sort of like when civil unrest breaks out in some major US city, folks in Wyoming just change the channel. Likewise, folks considering coming, should come. Just avoid downtown Bangkok - very easy to do.
MrRee

Postby setaputra » Fri May 21, 2010 4:12 pm

"All my funds are in the form of the physical yellow stuff stored in a few banks."

May have a problem with immigration then when you review your visa. :wink:

"Just avoid downtown Bangkok - very easy to do." The curfews, states of emergency, and bank closures affect 23 provinces

Anyway good luck <objected to reference removed Dozer>
setaputra

Postby MrRee » Fri May 21, 2010 6:26 pm

setaputra wrote:"All my funds are in the form of the physical yellow stuff stored in a few banks."

May have a problem with immigration then when you review your visa. :wink:

"Just avoid downtown Bangkok - very easy to do." The curfews, states of emergency, and bank closures affect 23 provinces

Anyway good luck <objected reference removed, Dozer>

ROFLMAO. My friend, if you've been on that other site and are JUST NOW making the connection, you should be flogged with a wet noodle for being so clever. At least 3 others (one whom I have since met) made that connection a year ago when they read my BIO (errr - like the first posts in both places) and knowing that I am building in Udon.

You're late, but I do have a cookie for you for trying. :lol:
MrRee

Postby setaputra » Fri May 21, 2010 6:52 pm

<Post edited/Dozer flamish parts removed>.

If everyone put all their funds in gold ( as you say you have) they would have a problem with immigration at visa renewal. I don't want members to follow your advice and fall into that trap. Your post is dangerous.

As I said, your comment that:

"What happens in Bangkok doesn't change squat upcountry. Life goes on as usual. Just avoid downtown Bangkok - very easy to do."

is equally absurd, unhelpful and dangerous for members to follow blindly. And do you not think " easy to do " is just a tad patronising to members?

Obviuosly everyone needs to be careful in these troubled times but for you to tell members that the problems are only in Bangkok is patently ridiculous.

The SOE is in place in 23 provinces; the Bank of Thailand have closed down all main bank branches till Monday, and there is video evidence on many forums of rioting, assaults, and fires in many places other than Bangkok.

<edit Dozer>.

Don't understand your last two posts but they seem contradictory. One seemingly denying and the other confirming.
setaputra

Postby MrRee » Fri May 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Setaputra,

Really, am I THAT interesting to you? Do you really believe that when people say "all", they literally mean "all"? Do you really think that members base their life decisions on what I post?

<edit ref to objected material removed - Dozer>.

There is a help line for you somewhere. :lol:
Last edited by MrRee on Fri May 21, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrRee

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Dear Setaputra
I do have to agree with your post. It is ludicrous to say just avoid Bangkok, my wife works in the central business district (Silom-farang company). We also live in Nontharburi which is also under curfew. And also one of my pensions has just been transferred to Siam Commercial Bank, which is currently "locked down" so I have no idea if it has got there or not.

I am here to learn about the pitfalls of building in Thailand before I commit up to 5 million baht (over 1.3 million already committed on the land alone) and it is not helpful when members post twaddle about gold, lessons learnt and shaky videos that are of little or no help.

Roger Ramjet
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

MrRee wrote:Just avoid downtown Bangkok - very easy to do.

I might as well add my 2 cents worth while it's ongoing and say that you are talking crap as usual. It's not so easy when you live there like I do.
fredlk

Postby ningnong » Sat May 22, 2010 4:13 am

MrRee wrote:Nope. No worries whatsoever. All my funds are in the form of the physical yellow stuff stored in a few banks. As the currency situation worsens, my build and living here gets cheaper.

In my experience the price of "yellow stuff" is just as volatile as exchange rates. You win some - you lose some - swings and roundabouts really. As someone has already pointed out, there is an unfortunate stigma attached to large-scale trading in yellow stuff and other valuables. Even large inter-bank cash transfers attract attention and frequently require evidence of origin and destination.
I'm pleased your method is currently working well for you :)
ningnong

"Life is what happens while you are making other plans."
John Lennon (1940 - 1980)
ningnong

Postby MGV12 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:51 am

Surely the pseudonym is evidence enough that this guy wants to be an enigma ..... misterree

<edit to remove comments related to how the site is moderated>.

His "I'm all right Jack" attitude was bound to ruffle a few feathers, especially at a time when those with more modest financial circumstances may have to abandon or downsize plans, cancel altogether, or if already built and committed to remaining in the 'Land of slightly less Smiles' live life in a more frugal manner than was in their original dream. I have real sympathy for those in the first few situations and real empathy for those in the last situation.

As for the THB bubble bursting: yes without a doubt the currency is being manipulated, by the central bank and by speculators; probably for different reasons. It defies all logic, as do many aspects of Thai life, that the currency should remain so strong in spite of political turmoil and now being designated a war zone. Sure the underlying economy is better than many western countries [notably my own UK] but maybe not for much longer with this unrest ..... they claim tourism is not that big a factor in GDP terms but the knock on effect must count, also they are facing increasing competition on rice exports with a strong Baht and countries such as Vietnam undercutting their prices by a full 20%; allegedly. But if there is a collapse, restructuring or whatever I wouldn't hold your breath; one day the dirt road by the klong alongside us with be hard surfaced [it's in the 'plan'] but when? Maybe before the Baht moves, maybe after, maybe never for either. In the meantime you can guarantee that the markets will hammer, with due and undue diligence, currencies such as the GBP and currently the Euro for any actual or inferred negative data. To a lesser degree the US dollar as, for reasons many and various, it does get special treatment and appears to have the ability to manipulate it's own economic data better than most; not suggesting for one moment that my American friends are not feeling the pinch and wishing for the days of 40+ Baht to return.

My tuppeneth for what it's worth.

Best wishes and better luck to everyone; even Mr Ree

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby developer3d » Sat May 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I have spent some effort on a previous posts trying to explain to this guy that an oversized french drain was not a viable long term solution to flood management on reclaimed rice paddy. I took this position based on my experiences as a builder and providing references to outside sources after a post from this guys soapboxing that its a "no brainer" only to get flamed in return.

<removed comments on site moderation - Dozer>

I am glad that MrRhee has acknowledged the failure of this french drain idea in his latest post and explained that he will be filling it in now he needs to back to that post another reclaimed land and address the bad information he gave out on that post - fortunately almost all the other bad advise that his guy hands out has already been removed because when someone challenges him ( even midly worded as you say MGV12 ) he turn it nasty and dozer wipes out the whole thread.

MrRee wrote:I agree with "up to you" about using a French drain (which is NOT a one-off solution as you erroneously suggest); and I will add that Thailand has all the materials required in abundance and they would have a whole lot less flooding and a whole lot better structural integrity if they were put into wide use. I have to admit that I am a bit amazed that they/we have not been using this centuries old method - but TIT!

MrRee wrote:Update 5b

The video below is a follow-up to the French drain discussion. The soil on the water-filled side is essentially clay and the water just sits. We'll be filling all that in with dirt and do a surface half-pipe drain (dirt only) and plant it with flowers and such. Nature wins - French drain not good for clay soil environments.

developer3d

Postby fredlk » Sat May 22, 2010 2:18 pm

developer3d wrote:fortunately almost all the other bad advise that his guy hands out has already been removed because when someone challenges him ( even midly worded as you say MGV12 ) he turn it nasty and dozer wipes out the whole thread.

Unfortunately some of his bad advice arrives by PM. I have decided to ignore him and it completely.
fredlk

Postby MrRee » Sat May 22, 2010 3:01 pm

@developer3D

Still presenting half the info and calling it complete, I see. If you are going to quote me, try not to cherrypick only what suits your agenda. From Update 5b on my thread:

"...The video below is a follow-up to the French drain discussion. The soil on the water-filled side is essentially clay and the water just sits. We'll be filling all that in with dirt and do a surface half-pipe drain (dirt only) and plant it with flowers and such. Nature wins - French drain not good for clay soil environments. That's about .70 m at the deep end. The other side, near the paved village road, is functioning perfectly. Being more of the "normal" humus type soil, water sinks right into the ground as expected. Hopefully, this video is helpful to anyone considering the idea. It was an interesting full-scale experiment..."

Uh...it was successful. The side being filled doesn't matter. It is not the side next to road which is also where the waste water goes. I see you're still a fan of my thread. Cheers! ;)
Last edited by MrRee on Sat May 22, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrRee

Postby developer3d » Sat May 22, 2010 5:41 pm

I believe that Roger Ramjet said it best

Roger Ramjet wrote:I am here to learn about the pitfalls of building in Thailand before I commit up to 5 million baht (over 1.3 million already committed on the land alone) and it is not helpful when members post twaddle about gold, lessons learnt and shaky videos that are of little or no help.

I think most of us agree this is a forum about building in Thailand its not "TV" - the point I was making is that oversized french drains are not a viable long term flood management solution for reclaimed rice paddies.

You say
MrRee wrote:@developer3D
.... Nature wins - French drain not good for clay soil environments.

Rice paddies hold water because of their high clay based soils.

That is the connection - if you think I am picking "clay soils" out of this I just dont know what to say, french drains have their place I have built them and will continue to but they are not suitable for where/what you proposed, end of story.

I don't think anyone cares that you "want" to contribute, that's the point of the forum - its the "instructional" way that you communicate that gets people off side when your not a tradesmen or a builder or an architect or an engineer of any kind, in fact by your own admission this is your first house in Thailand, there is aboslutely no issue with that at all however when someone asks for "more information" or "references" like I have done several times if your a "jack of all trades" then we can learn from that as well. But you don't seem to be interested in discussion or even intelligent debate only your "opinion" and when people challenge you on something you start with the sarcasm and now the "race card " ?

You started on here with this opener

This is a great website chock full of excellent info as you might already know, BUT beware that if you read enough posts, you will discover that many members who you think might be "gurus" really aren't - some are armchair gurus who have dabbled a bit and pass their days haunting Thailand forums like this one. BUT there are those who really do know what they are talking about and are consistent in their wisdom and advice. I will leave it to you to figure out who is real and who is faking it

You drew attention to yourself from day one and followed up with your "opinions" and "take aways" like you know better than everyone else somehow.

If you cant see that then I think we have all wasted enough time on this entire discussion, I think you owe Setaputra an apology but that will be your choice.
developer3d

Postby BKKBILL » Sat May 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Guess the comment to just ignore would be the best advise to take although what affect it would have on world peace is hard for me to understand. Of course there is something to be said for entertainment so if you get amusement from all this just continue post in the same manner you have been.

Many members had asked if it would be possible for you to upload pictures of the build but alas no we are subject to watching spasmodic videos. And please don’t ask any questions as that would interrupt an epic narrative. Although another thread was started where we would be able to ask question to by answered at the end of the build. Maybe it’s just me but I though this was a form for back and forth comments enabling us the all learn and participate. Again it will be possible upon completion of the construction to see an arrangement of photos hanging inside the completed house to showcase the build quality and methods.

Seeing this is a commercial undertaking as the building will be for sale upon completion I start to wonder why it is even on this site. Unfortunately the threads you post on do seem to bring out “the criticism (or praise) which often leads to thread hijacking, flaming, etc”.

Lets not even get into"French Drains".................. Maybe it’s not just me.

As for "anyone having second thoughts" I think the vast majority of Thais are friendly, hard working, giving and have a can do attitude. That in itself makes living here a good experience. At times with some concern but never with a thought to leave.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to general