Architect Expo

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Architect Expo

Postby mikenot » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Has anybody been out to one of these in last couple of years ? From their website it seems more of a building supplies and materials expo than architectural ? Although the website talks about registering I assume it is open to the public, not just trade only ? Worth going to ? I know Bluescope have got a stand, so if it is open to the public I would like to take the GF, hopefully their rep would be able to convince her that Colourbond is not just an ordinary tin roof ! It's hard to convince her there are alternatives nowadays to the concrete blocks and roof tiles that her sisters' houses are built with !
mikenot

Re: Architect Expo

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 am

mikenot wrote:Has anybody been out to one of these in last couple of years ? From their website it seems more of a building supplies and materials expo than architectural ? Although the website talks about registering I assume it is open to the public, not just trade only ? Worth going to ? I know Bluescope have got a stand, so if it is open to the public I would like to take the GF, hopefully their rep would be able to convince her that Colourbond is not just an ordinary tin roof ! It's hard to convince her there are alternatives nowadays to the concrete blocks and roof tiles that her sisters' houses are built with !

One possible way would be to get her to visit a house that's been built using AAC and colorbond. Who you can visit will probably depend on where you are in Thailand.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 01, 2018 4:44 pm

I went to one of these EXPO's and they are open to the public. You can find many contacts and model homes at them. Be warned you might end up with a Steptoe and Sons like I first struck who wanted over 5 million baht just for the pool. They really had no idea what I wanted except they thought I was rich.
Roger Ramjet

Postby mikenot » Tue May 01, 2018 6:29 pm

^ Thanks for the confirmation RR, a look at the exhibitor list shows plenty of hiso house and pool builders. We will skip those stands ! I’ll wear my Cheap Charlie uniform ......
mikenot

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 01, 2018 9:12 pm

mikenot wrote:Thanks for the confirmation RR, a look at the exhibitor list shows plenty of hiso house and pool builders. We will skip those stands ! I’ll wear my Cheap Charlie uniform ......

I took along a large manilla folder and a punch and took all the free catalogs and pamphlets on the materials I would use. It was a smart move on my part because I didn't have to rely on the builder and his shonky mates for prices and I also had a ready reference right throughout the build until my first builder decided he too wanted it and it was stolen.
Good luck, it's worth going to see and browse and will give you an idea of what the costs are.
Roger Ramjet

Return to general