Flat Ceiling Piant

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: MGV12, pattayapope

Flat Ceiling Piant

Postby pere » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 am

Hi guys,

Here in Australia we have heaps of different paints for all sorts of surfaces, as they do in Thailand.

One thing I couldn't see in the Thai hardware stores was a interior ceiling paint with a 'flat finish'.

Maybe its called something different or i just didn't notice it amongst all the paint choices.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
pere

Re: Flat Ceiling Piant

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:44 am

Easy to find just look for mat finish paint, and there's no special ceiling paint that I know of.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Andyfteeze » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:02 pm

I recently bought some flat black from global. no problems to get it, just have to get the "young" thai boys to understand what you want. There is lots of paint on offer and equally lots of ignorant advice too. The young shop assistants didnt really have a clue. It seems they all learn from the day's script. :lol: Shop carefully, I bought Jotun primer at 1250bt for 9liter drums only to go out the back and found 19liter drums for 1550bt. One slightly thicker texture but no different when dry on the wall. Makes me think they are on commission.
As for ceiling paint, there is no difference between ceiling paint and wall paint, its marketing for western dummies. My preference is to paint the walls and ceiling the same colour. It makes painting so much easier and makes the room look bigger.
Andyfteeze

Postby pere » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll be putting low sheen on the walls and I was hoping for flat for the ceilings, so the gyprock joints don't stand out so much.

Thanks again.
pere

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:33 pm

pere wrote:Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll be putting low sheen on the walls and I was hoping for flat for the ceilings, so the gyprock joints don't stand out so much.

Thanks again.

Personally I hope that my ceiling is flat. :? However of you mean matte finish paint it is easy to get.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Acryllic paint on a plasterboard ceiling will need a primer first.

If you just bat on and use a roller, when you come to the second coat the stickiness of the acryllic will peel back up the first layer.

Then you have a ceiling that isnt flat, or matt and just looks tatt and you feel like a pratt :wink:
eyecatcher

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Judging on how the palsterers hung my plaster boards, I can guarantee, down the line somewhere your going to see the joints, irrespective of how flat the paint is. Even a different lighting pattern and it will show. Even if done properly, it would still show, so my advice is dont get too hung up on it.
Andyfteeze

Return to general