bring own power tools from Home Country

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: MGV12, pattayapope

bring own power tools from Home Country

Postby nong sam » Sun May 07, 2017 10:13 pm

I would love to get my own tools over here for the build.
does anyone know if we can bring rechargeable power tools with batteries etc on 'checked in baggage ?
I am sure that a normal mains SDS drill would be ok. It's just the batteries that I think they get rather jumpy about.
Anyone have any experience of getting your tools over ?
nong sam

Re: bring own power tools from Home Country

Postby kmanonmaui » Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 am

Have not tried myself, but have brought things like laser levels, laptops, etc. in checked baggage. Do not *think* there would be an issue...guessing the concern would be more if you were bringing in a bunch of new stuff to sale or something. Regardless, I've found that 500 baht or so will resolve most issues such as this, having brought in a case of wine once :D But, I would not recommend anything illicit.
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby Shastadad » Mon May 08, 2017 7:02 am

Usually the airlines get strange about lithium batteries that are loose, meaning not installed in the equipment that they are designed for. In other words, Customs here in Thailand should not be a problem, just getting them here could be dicey with all the "exploding" batteries in cell phones making the news

I brought in an electric drill, battery operated as well as an electric screwdriver in my checked baggage and TSA in the US said nothing. I know they checked since I got the little TSA inspected card in the suitcase

I am going to assume that the charger for these items is 220 V , if not don't bother
Shastadad

Postby kmanonmaui » Mon May 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Shastadad wrote:Usually the airlines get strange about lithium batteries that are loose, meaning not installed in the equipment that they are designed for. In other words, Customs here in Thailand should not be a problem, just getting them here could be dicey with all the "exploding" batteries in cell phones making the news

Good point...the problem is more likely with the airline than with Thai Customs. I even make sure my e-Cig batteries are in original packaging as that is what they want. At the minimum pack them so that, if inspected, it shows you took care with assuring the batteries' electric contacts are not exposed. I think you'll be fine.
kmanonmaui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 09, 2017 8:55 am

kmanonmaui wrote:
Shastadad wrote:Usually the airlines get strange about lithium batteries that are loose, meaning not installed in the equipment that they are designed for. In other words, Customs here in Thailand should not be a problem, just getting them here could be dicey with all the "exploding" batteries in cell phones making the news

Good point...the problem is more likely with the airline than with Thai Customs. I even make sure my e-Cig batteries are in original packaging as that is what they want. At the minimum pack them so that, if inspected, it shows you took care with assuring the batteries' electric contacts are not exposed. I think you'll be fine.

FWIW e-Cigs are banned from Thailand. If your power tools use lithium batteries do not bring the battery pack, 30,000 mah is a common limit and your battery packs will be over that. It is not worth the risk of bringing the flight down due to a fire in the cargo bay.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:FWIW e-Cigs are banned from Thailand.

Yes, I was aware of the Thai Tobacco Monopoly's success in this area a couple of years ago. So far, luckily, I have had no issues...though I have read of a few people in Bangkok having issues with the police. Then again, I am up in the boondocks and the local police chief comes over to drink some whiskey or have some split pea soup at least once every month or two when we are in town. My wife said she never would have believed that so many people in her village would like, much less love, split pea soup.
kmanonmaui

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue May 16, 2017 10:17 am

Send your tools over via commercial couriers.
As far as lithium batteries are concerned, heat is the killer. Leave them on your tool and you increase the chance of excess discharge and over heating. Same as leaving them on a damaged charger for long periods of time. Using a cheap charger without temperature sensing is also asking for trouble. Just on their own, away from a heat source or point of discharge, they are rather inert.
So i find the info posted rather confusing because it goes against the facts
Andyfteeze

Return to general