Comparative costs - pre-cast columns etc vs insitu in house

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: MGV12, pattayapope

Comparative costs - pre-cast columns etc vs insitu in house

Postby cliveshep » Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 am

We finally have a buyer for our 5bed/4 bath air-con house in Khlong Sam Wa - we think!

So we are looking at buying land and building a small single storey house with outside room for the 4 dogs, 3 of which are uncivilised rescue dogs (meaning they poop and pee in the house),

We want to build raised in case of flooding, and seem to be faced with either a knock-down house - rooms a bit small and no kitchen it seems, a diy steel-frame and Shera house by a local builder (if we can find one) but one near us has failed in 6 months with the floor "heaving" somehow even though it is raised, or the more preferred conventional concrete post/beam/floor with sand/cement rendered lightweight block walls.

We are going to have to build quickly as there won't we a lot of time allowed to move out and with a mountain of gear and 4 dogs renting won't be an option. So my inclination is to build conventional style but perhaps using precast floor planks and columns, over-laying the planks with reinforced concrete and building block walls in between the pre-cast columns. The roof to be corrugated fibre board with the foil backing, comes in 6m sheets (po0ssibly longer) and has matching ancillary components, like ridge and hip and eaves sections. We have seen this used locally and it has a high gloss finish in various modern colours, with foil bonded to the underside. This type of roof requires less steel so is economical. Looks impressive and is quite thick so strong.

So - a bungalow on a 4m grid because bedrooms on a 3m grid mean even 5ft beds have little room to shuffle past if one has a wardrobe in the room, 2 bedrooms, one wet-room shower/toilet and I'll do the electrics UK daisy-chain style lighting, and ring mains for power, with an earth, and get the polarity right unlike the way our last useless builder who maintained that blue was live and brown was, well, earth or neutral. Took me ages to get the faults sorted and our air-con man walked off until the air-con supplies were made safe. We'll have a decent size kitchen with room for the two fridge freezers and washing machine and full-size cooker plus loads of granite worktop and jnset double bowl sink on modified metal base units with matching wall cupboards. Those concrete kitchen "units" look hideous when you open the doors - and seem to be rough dirt traps and insect homes and nowhere to store clean pots. pans and plates!

What does the team think on the ideas of saving time with pre-cast columns? Also if they do them off-the-shelf precast beams to support walls and floors? We also want to use pc units for the perimeter wall - again to save time.

They seem to pile with groups of 5 - they did on this extension here - but 3 metre long. Do the team think that is ok for a single story house or should we go for 6m or longer machine driven piles hammered to a "set" using a pile driver hammering them down with a 1 tonne weight? We are on mud here over soft clay, North East of Bangkok.

Any other constructive comments welcome, and for a 2-bed build rendered/painted structure only with drains and septic tank, raised say 1.5 metre max, with one decent lounge, bathroom and say 4 x 3m kitchen under a cheapish roof as outlined any ideas on cost? I'll be supplying electrics, sanitary ware, kitchen etc and air-con so don't need to factor those in.

We cocked up on this house - this time I want to get it right especially as we have less money to play with. We are also going to buy a Tata Superace City Giant diesel drop-side to move our stuff but also to be able to rush-off and buy materials. They are really economical - our Innova guzzles petrol but a plodding 1.4 diesel truck ticks all my boxes!

Forgot to add - I'm a retired Construction Project Manager from the UK who came up the "hands-on" route so I'll be setting out lines with my Topcon theodolite, setting out levels with my rotating laser and generally getting in everyone's way probably while checking dims, methods, slumps on concrete etc. I'll also be doing the designs, probably cheating and adapting some of the Thai Governments free plans, and as stated doing plumbing carcase work, and all the electrics because I really don't want my neutrals all twisted up and black-taped.
cliveshep

Re: Comparative costs - pre-cast columns etc vs insitu in ho

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon May 01, 2017 12:30 pm

cliveshep wrote:
What does the team think on the ideas of saving time with pre-cast columns? Also if they do them off-the-shelf precast beams to support walls and floors? We also want to use pc units for the perimeter wall - again to save time.

They seem to pile with groups of 5 - they did on this extension here - but 3 metre long. Do the team think that is ok for a single story house or should we go for 6m or longer machine driven piles hammered to a "set" using a pile driver hammering them down with a 1 tonne weight? We are on mud here over soft clay, North East of Bangkok.

Piles will depend on your local soil conditions. Precast columns will work for the perimeter wall, they are unlikely to work for the house as you have a raised floor, there are no precast beams.
Sometimewoodworker

Re: Comparative costs - pre-cast columns etc vs insitu in ho

Postby Klondyke » Mon May 01, 2017 1:48 pm

cliveshep wrote:
So we are looking at buying land and building a small single storey house with outside room for the 4 dogs, 3 of which are uncivilised rescue dogs (meaning they poop and pee in the house),

We are going to have to build quickly as there won't we a lot of time allowed to move out and with a mountain of gear and 4 dogs renting won't be an option.

I just posted my thoughts about a "sau-less" house, perhaps it can give you some ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5427
Klondyke

Return to general