TERMITE TREATMENT FREQUENCY

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

TERMITE TREATMENT FREQUENCY

Postby jeffandgop » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:10 am

When we built our home in CM 3 years ago, we installed a termite treatment system; and as part of the cost the supplier included (a) re-charging the system once a year and (b) treating/spraying the house outside perimeter twice a year.
With the initial term completed, I've asked this company the cost to continue the services annually. They have responded that I need to (a) re-charge the system TWICE a year and (b) perimeter spray THREE times a year.

We've had no signs of any termites.

I think this is a money grab. If for for the first three years re-charging once and permitter spray twice per year was sufficient, the higher cost for increased frequency does not make sense.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on what I am being offered?

Anyone have a service provider in Chiang Mai they would recommend?
jeffandgop

Re: TERMITE TREATMENT FREQUENCY

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:37 pm

How much timber do you have in the house? If all your timber is exposed ie not hidden in the walls, i would have thought it was a waste of time. If it rains a lot, you need to keep reapplying after its washed away. So yea, if you want to be sure, multiple yearly applications are required. Personally, the poison isn't getting near me.
Its really only an issue with timber in the ground or in walls where you can't see them. You have to weigh up the risk yourself verses the cost and the risks to human health.
There are only two methods to prevent against termites, barrier and chemical. The barrier method isn't applicable to thai building methods. The best strategy is to keep the perimeter of the house clean so that if an attack is present you can actually see it and then use a poison before any damage is done. That was the advice from the Master Builders when I built in 2001. Its a big issue in oz because we build with timber frames which are hidden behind gyprock walls. Here, unless its a teak house, wood is only used on the door frames.
Andyfteeze

Postby canopy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:24 am

The best strategy is to keep the perimeter of the house clean so that if an attack is present you can actually see it and then use a poison before any damage is done

That is only applicable to the barrier method because without a barrier termites can come up anywhere unobserved. I agree it isn't a Thai method, but I use the barrier method. Two popular barrier methods are a stainless steel screen under the slab or making a high quality slab that is termite proof. I prefer the latter. Then do exactly as you say above. So far over the years termites have yet to try to climb the perimeter despite being seemingly everywhere in the ground.
canopy

Postby jeffandgop » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:23 am

Thank you both for your replies.

I do not have any timber in my foundation and walls. Where there may be materials inviting to termites probably begins in the soffits (?)- the material closing out the spaces beneath the roof eaves; and I have wood indoors such as door frames and baseboards and of course some furniture.

I still think what it is being proposed by the incumbent termite prevention company is overkill- doubling the current frequency which to this date there has been no evidence of termites. To me it's like my chemical levels in my pool are working just fine and a pool service comes in and suggests I double the amount of chlorine!!
jeffandgop

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:58 am

If you want more information, Google Termimesh. There is a lot of info about standard barrier methods and lots of examples and pictures.
Andyfteeze

Postby 12mike » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:17 pm

jeffandgop wrote:When we built our home in CM 3 years ago, we installed a Termite treatment price system; and as part of the cost the supplier included (a) re-charging the system once a year and (b) treating/spraying the house outside perimeter twice a year.
With the initial term completed, I've asked this company the cost to continue the services annually. They have responded that I need to (a) re-charge the system TWICE a year and (b) perimeter spray THREE times a year.

We've had no signs of any termites.

I think this is a money grab. If for for the first three years re-charging once and permitter spray twice per year was sufficient, the higher cost for increased frequency does not make sense.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on what I am being offered?

Anyone have a service provider in Chiang Mai they would recommend?

Hello jeffandgop,
I recommend [Promotional details removed - mod]
12mike

Postby syll1949 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently moved to Sydney with my family, and we are living in a rented house but that house is so old.

So we are thinking of doing their pest control, so is there anyone who knows any pest control services in Sydney?

If yes, then please let me know as soon as possible. No price issues.

Thanks in advance.
syll1949

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:15 pm

syll1949 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have recently moved to Sydney with my family, and we are living in a rented house but that house is so old.

So we are thinking of doing their pest control, so is there anyone who knows any pest control services in Sydney?

If yes, then please let me know as soon as possible. No price issues.

Thanks in advance.

This website is specifically for Thailand and possibly very near by places.

I suggest that you find some website related to Sidney or Australia, where you will find better information.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby jeromecorey » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:22 pm

You should visit this company and discuss your problem with the professionals, here is the link to the company

<This is a non commercial site - link removed - mod>
jeromecorey

Postby schuimpge » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:33 pm

jeromecorey wrote:You should visit this company and discuss your problem with the professionals, here is the link to the company

<This is a non commercial site - link removed - mod>

Sharing your commission and revenue with the owner and moderators of this website I assume?! :mrgreen:
schuimpge

Return to general