Q-Con versus RED Brick with respect to moisture

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Q-Con versus RED Brick with respect to moisture

Postby oneday » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:04 am

I searched and found some threads discussing RED BRICK and Q-Con, but I really couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

This question is for those of you who have personal knowledge or experience with using RED BRICK for the walls in bathrooms as opposed to Q-Con. Our house will have a double external wall. All internal walls will be a single Q-Con block. I see no reason that the external wall on the bathrooms cannot be Q-Con, though I invite comments. My real question is the inside wall.

Naturally our builder is trying to talk my wife into using RED BRICK. There was some mention of strength, but for me the real issue is moisture resistance. I have read several times on this forum that Q-Con is strong enough to hang various relatively heavy wall attachments so that is not a concern for me in the bathrooms.

Now our builder’s specs say he will use moisture resistant mortar (where appropriate...I know Q-Con uses a special glue and a special render) so I’m thinking if there is any truth to RED BRICK being better at handling moisture then it should be good enough to use only in the shower stall for the inside wall; the wall the tile will go on. I feel there is no reason the rest of the bathroom cannot use Q-Con.

All comments welcome.
oneday

Re: Q-Con versus RED Brick with respect to moisture

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Look all bricks /blocks whatever have different amounts of water resistance themselves, but they all let water through their cement joints ,and red bricks have more joints than the rest, so it's all about the render and the paint or tiles/grouting that keeps the water or moisture penetrating. If you want to test a brick or block, dip it in a drum of water, then see how much water it absolves, a non absolvent brick will be relatively dry when you take it out. Q-Con or similar are definitely water absolvent, but the correct render seals them and using the CORRECT fixings will hold anything you need to fix to them. They are miles better as far as insulation is concerned with that increasing with their thickness obviously, which also allows for any chasing out for conduits or water pipes, something that red bricks are useless for. :roll: :roll:
Mike Judd

Postby oneday » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:16 pm

So, in essence, you see no problem with using Q-Con as the inner wall for our shower stalls as long as the covering material (render and tiles) are water resistant and done with quality workmanship?
oneday

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:54 pm

You've got it.! :D :D
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi oneday,

Me, I am using the 150 mm wide x 200 mm x 400 mm, concrete super blocks, which cost me TB 30 each for my inner skin walls. They are strong, well vibrated, have a properly formed square edges and have a "V" groove along the top to run the reinforcement bar through horizontally.

Also using a DPM under the block and a water proof additive in the mortar mix for the first three block coarses

pipoz
Attachments
1 IMG_1540 (Large).JPG
150mm Super Block Delivery
IMG_1615 (Large).JPG
South False Columns & Inner Wall - 150mm Super Block
X 3 IMG_1584 (Large) (2).JPG
Inner Wall - 150mm Super Block on DPM
pipoz

Postby oneday » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:19 pm

That is a healthy block. I knew there were wider blocks all the way up to 20cm thick to match the width of a standard column, but I like the idea of an air gap between the two skins. In any case, the die is cast with that choice (two 7.5cm blocks with a 5cm air gap) and I'm sure it will be fine...certainly better than a single block for the outside wall.

My wife complains about a family up the road that likes to blast their music to the heavens in the morning so I'm sure hoping this will help cut down on the noise as well as the insulation value.
oneday

Postby pipoz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:45 pm

oneday wrote:That is a healthy block. I knew there were wider blocks all the way up to 20cm thick to match the width of a standard column, but I like the idea of an air gap between the two skins. In any case, the die is cast with that choice (two 7.5cm blocks with a 5cm air gap) and I'm sure it will be fine...certainly better than a single block for the outside wall.

My wife complains about a family up the road that likes to blast their music to the heavens in the morning so I'm sure hoping this will help cut down on the noise as well as the insulation value.

I would be interested in knowing what you are paying for your 75mm Q Con blocks?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby oneday » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Sorry, but our build is for a single quoted price. We are not doing labor only and we are paying a bit over the top for it.

This was the best builder we could find at the most reasonable price. All other bids were outrageous except for one and his quality was very questionable. So I do not know what HE is paying for the block. I think I've recently seen them at between 17-19 baht per block for the 7.5cm.
oneday

Postby Klondyke » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm

oneday wrote: I think I've recently seen them at between 17-19 baht per block for the 7.5cm.

If it is the block 40x20x7 cm, I know it for 4 - 5 Baht.
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:48 pm

oneday wrote:So, in essence, you see no problem with using Q-Con as the inner wall for our shower stalls as long as the covering material (render and tiles) are water resistant and done with quality workmanship?

A general idea about walls in villages: they think that the red bricks are better for people as it comes from the earth, unlike the cement blocks.

Once the walls are rendered - they are always made with a strong mortar 1 cement : 3 sand, sometimes 1:1 when the material is in owner's scope - then it does not matter what is underneath. To drive a nail in ...
Klondyke

Postby fredlk » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:50 pm

Klondyke wrote:If it is the block 40x20x7 cm, I know it for 4 - 5 Baht.

Q-Con? NEVER! :lol:
fredlk

Postby pipoz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:38 pm

fredlk wrote:
Klondyke wrote:If it is the block 40x20x7 cm, I know it for 4 - 5 Baht.

Q-Con? NEVER! :lol:

I think he is talking about the 60 - 65mm concrete Freezer type blocks (at around TB 4 -5 each) that are often local, porous and poorly vibrated and even sometimes fall apart in your hand. They have little compressive strength and near no tensile strength.

I recently bought some in Udon Thai 65mm thick for TB 6 each, for my outer facade wall and am rethinking decision to use them.

I would only use these for a low no retaining fence or for a non structural wall that was somehow braced or tied back, (as I had initially plan to do with my outer facade skin. Even then, I would still tie them back into the stronger inner skin- super block wall.

I personally would not use then as a single skin in house wall.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Klondyke » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 pm

I mean the cement blocks that are common everywhere in the North. There is only one type, everybody calls it cement blocks (block pun), yes, they are made quite in a simple way almost in every village, with a small difference of quality depending on the cement mixture.

Once these blocks are laid in a wall they form quite a rigid construction since the cement bonding mortar is mostly "overcemented". I have mentioned it somewhere, in my 25 years I have not seen a wall really broken in. However, very often such wall fallen in its whole length due to a wrong foundation or by a push of a tree. (Speaking of perimeter walls). Or have somebody seen a house with a broken wall made by these blocks laid between cement poles? Many times I see the wall has moved in its whole width apart from the pole (sau) because it has not been properly fixed to that pole.

And in my thread of swimming pools I am presenting my pool made from such blocks. I showed also my previous house built by these blocks (without saus), my present house extensions by these blocks (double wall), factory extensions by these blocks, mostly doubled. Perhaps it is not to somebody's standard, to my purpose and and my means it is satisfactory.

As a matter of fact, few weeks ago I have driven through Isaan (Uttaradit - Nong Kai) where I have often seen these blocks in a blackish color, was wondering why this appearance. Perhaps these blocks are not so durable as I know from the North.
Klondyke

Postby MGV12 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:51 am

oneday wrote: I think I've recently seen them at between 17-19 baht per block for the 7.5cm.

That's an exceptionally good price for 7.5cm AAC blocks these days and amazing if they were genuine Q-Con. Thai Watsadu in Chiang Mai have a Diamond brand block at 21Baht which is the cheapest I have seen around CM ... they also claim to have a 7cm block at 19Baht ... however they don't actually have it in stock :roll:

There have been varied opinions expressed over time about using AAC in bathrooms but I agree with the above post ... whatever your wall is constructed from it should be protected from water actually reaching it. If the surface coating is not waterproof[ed] you will have problems in due course ... whatever the wall is constructed from.

Hebel even recommend the use of AAC blocks when constructing baths/spas/saunas [page 15] ... http://www.hebelaustralia.com.au/Docume ... 051111.pdf

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby oneday » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:56 am

I can't swear to the price I gave so ignore it.

Thanks for confirning that Q-Con should be fine anywhere in the bathroom with proper materials and protection.
oneday

Next

Return to general