How cool is your house

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

How cool is your house

Postby Ians » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:38 pm

With the hot weather in Phitsanulok early this week I decided it was time to run some internal temp. checks. The house was designed and built with the aim of keeping the internal temp as low as possible during the day without the use of a/con - we use ceiling fans in the areas in use. keeping the temp down, beside being more comfortable means less temp to be dumped during the night - a big ask sometimes as the evening temp in P/lok doesn't really reduce all that much some evenings.

Contrary to the usual Thai practice of opening all the doors and windows to let the "cool" breeze flow thru' the house (although it might "feel" cool from the evaporative effect it is the current outside temp and just brings the internal temp up to the same as the outside temp). I always close all the doors and windows as soon as the temp. starts to rise - seems it pays off.

Must say I am more than happy with the result, must have done something right as the internal temp rise was 2.6Deg., at the outside peak on Monday the temp difference was nearly 6Deg. and on Tuesday again 6Deg. outside Tuesday was 37.6 C
Have plotted the outside / inside temp over the day which is attached.
Attachments
temp 001.jpg
Ians

Re: How cool is your house

Postby rolyth » Wed May 22, 2013 9:10 pm

wow..
is it so hot?! 37 deg is really a killer..
rolyth

Postby fredlk » Thu May 23, 2013 5:11 am

rolyth wrote:wow..
is it so hot?! 37 deg is really a killer..

Better get used to it, that's an average and the "feels-like" temperature gets up to 43 degrees here.
fredlk

Postby rolyth » Thu May 23, 2013 7:54 am

i assume you guys stay in the air-con..?
rolyth

Postby Ians » Thu May 23, 2013 9:11 am

rolyth wrote:i assume you guys stay in the air-con..?

No- only have a/c in the bedrooms.
Ians

Postby fredlk » Thu May 23, 2013 9:18 am

rolyth wrote:i assume you guys stay in the air-con..?

No have.
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 am

Live here long enough without air-con and you acclimatize somewhat, doesn't hurt to build your house with natural cooling in mind. I also have no air conditioning.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 am

We only have one in the main bedroom ... get's the odd use for an hour at bedtime this time of year as some idiot [me :oops: ] used black tiles on the balcony floor and it catches a bit of the late afternoon sun. Otherwise a/c is just a wall-hanging for the rest of the year.

House orientation ... window placement ... wide eaves overhang ... high "R" factor walls ... foil under tiles ... passive cooling design features.

Get's a bit warm in Texas as well doesn't it rolyth?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Return to general