Insect Control Considerations

General construction topics - basically anything to do with building not covered in other topics.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Insect Control Considerations

Postby MrRee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm

I recall seeing what looked to be a common german cockroach in my house as we were finishing it up. Looked just like the little <edit for language - moderator> common in the USA. I figured he must have hitched a ride with one of the workers and found himself a new paradise. So, I grabbed a piece of scrap paper and was about to smush it when <edit for language - moderator> if it didn't hop off the wall and started flying about my head. Scared the <edit for language - moderator> out of me! Wasn't expecting those little <edit for language - moderator> to fly, that's for sure. 10+ years in-country and that was my first time actually seeing them here.

That said, I may have to backpedal a bit about anything I said regarding boric acid's effectiveness against roaches in Thailand... :mrgreen:

<please watch the language - moderator>
MrRee

Postby splitlid » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:21 pm

so wheres the pics of the house?
splitlid

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:33 pm

How you know it was a german cockroach?
It couldn't speak the "th..?
Had a mustarch?
...?
:mrgreen:
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:How you know it was a german cockroach?

It was highly intelligent and drove a Porsche. :wink:
fredlk

Postby MrRee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:59 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:How you know it was a german cockroach? :mrgreen:

It had a beer. If it was Irish it would have had two; and if it was American it would have been passed out already and could not have possibly started flying. :lol:
MrRee

Postby MrRee » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:51 am

MrRee wrote:<please watch the language - moderator>

<removed off topic comment and comment on moderation - please do not question moderating on this website and see the faq for what is appropriate language>
MrRee

Postby keren@ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Hiii,
Has anyone had a good experience with modern termite control? Effective chemicals were removed from the market in 1986 and the new ones if actually applied only work for a maximum of 6 or 7 years. The newest technology "Centracon" has proven to be a farce and only works in a fraction of applications. Our old house was worked over pretty good in its 100+ years but they couldn't beat the heart pine framing or cypress siding. They will, however, eat the new wood used in the rehab. Any thoughts on do it yourself treatments or chemicals?
keren@

Postby terwesa98 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Try pest prevention first.
Remove sources of food, water, and shelter.
Store food in sealed plastic or glass containers. Garbage containing food scraps should be placed in tightly covered trash cans. Remove garbage regularly from your home.
Fix leaky plumbing and don't let water accumulate anywhere in the home. Don't let water collect in trays under your house plants or refrigerator. Don't leave pet food and water out overnight.
Clutter provides places for pests to breed and hide and makes it hard to get rid of them. Get rid of things like stacks of newspapers, magazines, or cardboard.
Close off places where pests can enter and hide. For example, caulk cracks and crevices around cabinets or baseboards. Use steel wool to fill spaces around pipes. Cover any holes with wire mesh.
Learn about the pests you have and options to control them.
Check for pests in packages or boxes before carrying them into your home.
terwesa98

Postby olavhome » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm

Agree, the best way to reduce insects is to keep a clean house. Clean food stains using water.
Which is quite a task in Thailand :-)
But keep food inside frigde or in Sealed boxes.
And remove dead insects or "your friends" will come together and do it :-)
olavhome

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:27 am

chemicals wont last for more than 6 months. Not that they are ineffective but rather they will naturally get diluted in situe. Outside and the rainy season will tend to dilute very quickly. What about inside you say? well the humidity will tend to do the same but also then makes it a hazard for us humans.
Physical barriers, non wood fittings , cleanliness or spraying every 6 months are your only options here.
Andyfteeze

Previous

Return to general