money transfers

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

BKKBILL

Re: money transfers

Post by BKKBILL »

Otis, how much did it cost to have the Swift transfer done. When I do them it’s $35CND. The amount transferred has to be fairly large to make it worthwhile.

I have a Credit Union account in Canada and as long as I keep a $1,000 Balance there are no charges at that end. The exchange rate done is quite good.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

Hi bkkbill
it cost about $25 us or maybe 40 usd and yes is better use cc to do purchase. As the need do substiantial xfer to keep % fee low.

In my case was to show on depo the 300k tb for 1 year retire visa. i since learnt that can do a notary doc at us consular office as sufficient to get the retired visa if 55 or older. next week will see how the visa process goes.

Yes schwab called me about 1am thai time, and about 10am the tb showed on my TMB account. the long side was waiting schwab to set it up as was 1st xfer to thai. Past experience schwab were effective with making swift xfers. My provential bank refused the request, so ran it thru schwab.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Otis,
I think you had better check the retirement visa requirements again. You must show 800,000 baht in a bank passbook and you must show where it came from (new regulation). All you need from the embassy is a letter stating your permanent address in Thailand, duly notorised. You can alternatively show a retirement pension from your country with the monthly amounts and a notorised copy of such. The amount of the retirement pension depends on the country you get the pension from (new requirement/regulation).
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

Roger Ramjet wrote: The amount of the retirement pension depends on the country you get the pension from (new requirement/regulation).
RR do you want to expand on this. I don't understand why there would be a difference in amounts.
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Bill,
It would appear that some of us live more frugally/extravagantly than others, or so the Thai powers that be have deemed. I know the Aussies have been lumped with the Americans and Japanese and the new amount for a pension 60,000+ baht a month. I was rather amused when I was threatened with an audit (because my pensions came from Australia and I had the Statutory Declaration, duly stamped from the Australian Embassy at the time), but also because the Thai Immigration officer (Snr Sgt Major) at Nontharburi misread everything (I don't think he could read English, he certainly didn't know what a fortnight was) and demanded my bank statements for the last 12 months. To add to this he told my wife at her work (over the phone) he was going to audit her as well, which caused my wife to call certain people. I played "hand over the cell phone" for 5 minutes until a senior Immigration Officer (Investigations) intervened after the last call, but after I had done a lot of driving. It put me out a bit because during all this I had to drive between their office and home to get all the bank statements and when I arrived back the senior officer said it was a mistake after he had seen the bank statements and they didn't require them. Then the Snr Sgt Major demanded copies of my passport, new photos and photo copies of my passport and the visa stamps. Back home again. I think the Snr Sgt Major was trying to big note himself and when I told my wife she was furious and that was when she called friends/relatives (read Army Officer uncle).
This all happened only six months ago and I was finally assured that it was a mistake by the Senior Immigration Officer because either one of my pensions was sufficient for me to qualify. But they do have a table for pensions and they now do calculate.
I got around all the agro by having one of my pensions deposited directly here (Siam Commercial Bank), which the Aussie Government was loath to do 6 months prior to that.
I was also informed that pensions of retirees who already had retired were not subjected to the test.... which pissed me off no end, because I had had the retirement visa for over 5 years before that date.
I think this whole episode (which happened during the changeover of Thai Immigration Bangkok to provinces) was caused because they didn't have the Retirement Visa stamp for 2 months and they had to improvise during that period. I wasn't the only one, "farangs" were all up in arms and the "fines" levied were thick and fast. It was actually their problem at the time, they would just staple the new 90 day reporting page into the passport because they didn't have the retirement visa stamp.
The problem I believe comes from Pattaya where certain people "borrow" the 800,000 baht for three months at 30,000 baht a pop, or so I have been told. They get it put into a pass book, in their name, in a Thai bank and then get their retirement visa, then run whatever they are running.
I hope this clarifies the situation.
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

Thanks RR that helps. If they ask for my bank book their out of luck as I have gone to all cash dealings here.

Last year I was transferring money with my ATM card in the bank. They would take copies of my credit card front and back and have me sign the copies.

Not long after that had a run on my Canadian acct. with cash withdrawals from Europe. My card had been copied front and back.

It took some time but finally got all my money back. Someone in the bank here had sold my information. Of course no charges for anyone here.

Love this country but at times...............
otis-a

Post by otis-a »

i appreciate all the useful input. The experience with bank card is why i use a usd 2000 limit visa card- they will not get very far on that & visa email notice on each transaction, also i had someone do the two side copy the other day so my radar is in hi def mode thanks to this forum.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

... going up !! :D
Chart.aspx.png
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

fredlk wrote:... going up !! :D
Seems all western currencies have risen today. :)
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

BKKBILL wrote:Seems all western currencies have risen today. :)
WIth the Euro it is not only today but the last few days in fact, at least since last Friday.
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

Someone is doing something right. :D
Chart-1.aspx.png
Chart-1.aspx.png (11.43 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

Let’s hope the trend continues.

When you could get 42.58 on Aug. 3 then 39.15 on Sept. 9 about 3.5 baht now that is volatile. Add this to all the other charges for transferring money and the picture is not so good.

Guess I should have listened to my Mom when she told me all those fancy cars and women cost money. 8) :lol: 8) :lol: Who knew.

Here is a one year chart that shows how bad it has been. So any improvement is a plus.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-09-22 at 2.20.08 PM.png
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

Always good news for those who transfer currency here.
Attachments
All about money.png
BKKBILL

Post by BKKBILL »

Interesting editorial in the Nation today. It doesn’t look good the money transfers in the foreseeable future.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/20 ... 38744.html
Attachments
Sept.26.png
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

With thanks and apologies to The Beatles, "I've got to admit it's getting better, better. A little better all the time"
Baht to Euro
Baht to Euro
graph120.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 5715 times