Written Agreement with a Lawyer

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Leo123

Written Agreement with a Lawyer

Post by Leo123 »

I am planning on building a house with my (legal) Thai wife in Phitsanulok, cost price for house and land is 3.5m.

My wife bought the land with her own money, 1.2m and the build cost for the house and perimeter wall is 1.6m, I will pay that. The other 7 or 800,00 will come from my wife, to pay for interior work.
It will end up my wife pays 1.9m or so and I pay 1.6m.
We want to draw up some legal document with a lawyer stating who paid for what, in the event of a marriage break up we both get what is owed fairly. Has anyone done this before? Would it stand up in court?
I would appreciate your comments.
Shastadad

Re: Written Agreement with a Lawyer

Post by Shastadad »

See a lawyer but generally in Thailand agreements between husband and wife are useless, since in a breakup and subsequent divorce the relevant community property laws will have precedence

No matter who contributed what, the split will be 50 / 50, especially since you are doing this now, after the marriage, anything either of you contribute to the household is community property.

If your wife purchased the property before you got married, that property would belong to her only, but it doesn't sound like it from your post