Trouble : House under renovation without permit

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Chatuchak

Trouble : House under renovation without permit

Post by Chatuchak »

Hi,

My wife started renovating a townhouse, but never got a permit (as many Thais do). After a complaint from a friendly neighbor, the local district officer came by and declared the building "unsafe" : further work and even access is not allowed.

There are proper engineering and architectural drawings available. Is there a way to still rectify the situation and get things legally in order ?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Trouble : House under renovation without permit

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Chatuchuk,
If you have proper engineering and architectural drawings, then they have signatures on the cover page, under those signatures are qualifications of the person. Take those to the nearest Or Bor Tor/Tesaban office for approval by their engineering department. The cost is just under 200 baht from memory, but you must have their stamp on every single page.
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Some Or Bor Dor offices require a copy of the architect's ID card. Most (in my experience) will not accept drawings from non-registered architects, or non-Thai architects, and other architects who have to provide a signature for them will ask for a lot of money. In many cases, an Or Bor Dor may accept an 'extra' payment that might work out cheaper.
MGV12

Post by MGV12 »

jazzman wrote:Some Or Bor Dor offices require a copy of the architect's ID card. Most (in my experience) will not accept drawings from non-registered architects, or non-Thai architects, and other architects who have to provide a signature for them will ask for a lot of money. In many cases, an Or Bor Dor may accept an 'extra' payment that might work out cheaper.
Good post ... worth taking note of.

FUTAB..........
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

For my house the (qualified and registered) engineer had to sign the plans and specifications and that then was approved.
MGV12

Post by MGV12 »

The subject of how you get a 'Building Permit' varies so much in Thailand as to be to incomprehensible to most of us Farang.

Just go to the Tessaban, with your Thai partner or translator, and ask them what they require. In my experience if you approach this with a smile they will be happy to accommodate you.

FUTAB..........
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

MGV12 wrote: with a smile they will be happy to accommodate you.
- and your farang wallet. :mrgreen:
MGV12

Post by MGV12 »

jazzman wrote:
MGV12 wrote: with a smile they will be happy to accommodate you.
- and your farang wallet. :mrgreen:
Totally disagree ... based on my local and personal experience; it's all about how you approach people; even 'government' people in my experience.

FUTAB..........
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

My permits cost me nothing.
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

MGV12 wrote: Totally disagree ... based on my local and personal experience; it's all about how you approach people; even 'government' people in my experience.
It depends on one's own personal experience. I certainly approach people in the best manner and with the best possible intentions of obtaining the best service and conditions. Negotiating skills are essential. I generally get what I want, and with a smile, but sometimes with an envelope passed under the table. Same as paying speeding fines or getting a 20' container of comercial goods cleared through customs, but on a different scale...
MGV12

Post by MGV12 »

jazzman wrote:or getting a 20' container of comercial goods cleared through customs, but on a different scale...
Most of us aren't in the commercial sphere ... but even-so can benefit from adopting a 'When in Rome' approach.

FUTAB..........
gavin s

Post by gavin s »

how does one determine the size of the envelope to get results? are there any guidelines?
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

There re no guidelines for things unofficial. Gut feeling I suppose. It usually works for me, and I have to do it all the time, and I'm quite satisfied the cost and the result.
Makmak456

Post by Makmak456 »

Ya need a permit and plans to build ??
All I have is a single sheet of paper with a hand drawn "idea" of what I want :)
MGV12

Post by MGV12 »

Makmak456 wrote:Ya need a permit and plans to build ??
All I have is a single sheet of paper with a hand drawn "idea" of what I want :)
That'll do in some areas :)

FUTAB..........