Trouble : House under renovation without permit

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Trouble : House under renovation without permit

Postby Chatuchak » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:31 am

Hi,

My wife started renovating a townhouse, but never got a permit (as many Thais do). After a complaint from a friendly neighbor, the local district officer came by and declared the building "unsafe" : further work and even access is not allowed.

There are proper engineering and architectural drawings available. Is there a way to still rectify the situation and get things legally in order ?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Chatuchak

Re: Trouble : House under renovation without permit

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:02 pm

Chatuchuk,
If you have proper engineering and architectural drawings, then they have signatures on the cover page, under those signatures are qualifications of the person. Take those to the nearest Or Bor Tor/Tesaban office for approval by their engineering department. The cost is just under 200 baht from memory, but you must have their stamp on every single page.
Roger Ramjet

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:34 am

Some Or Bor Dor offices require a copy of the architect's ID card. Most (in my experience) will not accept drawings from non-registered architects, or non-Thai architects, and other architects who have to provide a signature for them will ask for a lot of money. In many cases, an Or Bor Dor may accept an 'extra' payment that might work out cheaper.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 am

jazzman wrote:Some Or Bor Dor offices require a copy of the architect's ID card. Most (in my experience) will not accept drawings from non-registered architects, or non-Thai architects, and other architects who have to provide a signature for them will ask for a lot of money. In many cases, an Or Bor Dor may accept an 'extra' payment that might work out cheaper.

Good post ... worth taking note of.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am

For my house the (qualified and registered) engineer had to sign the plans and specifications and that then was approved.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:07 am

The subject of how you get a 'Building Permit' varies so much in Thailand as to be to incomprehensible to most of us Farang.

Just go to the Tessaban, with your Thai partner or translator, and ask them what they require. In my experience if you approach this with a smile they will be happy to accommodate you.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:18 am

MGV12 wrote: with a smile they will be happy to accommodate you.
- and your farang wallet. :mrgreen:
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:47 am

jazzman wrote:
MGV12 wrote: with a smile they will be happy to accommodate you.
- and your farang wallet. :mrgreen:

Totally disagree ... based on my local and personal experience; it's all about how you approach people; even 'government' people in my experience.

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:02 pm

My permits cost me nothing.
fredlk

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm

MGV12 wrote:Totally disagree ... based on my local and personal experience; it's all about how you approach people; even 'government' people in my experience.

It depends on one's own personal experience. I certainly approach people in the best manner and with the best possible intentions of obtaining the best service and conditions. Negotiating skills are essential. I generally get what I want, and with a smile, but sometimes with an envelope passed under the table. Same as paying speeding fines or getting a 20' container of comercial goods cleared through customs, but on a different scale...
jazzman

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:19 pm

jazzman wrote:or getting a 20' container of comercial goods cleared through customs, but on a different scale...

Most of us aren't in the commercial sphere ... but even-so can benefit from adopting a 'When in Rome' approach.

MGV12

Postby gavin s » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:26 pm

how does one determine the size of the envelope to get results? are there any guidelines?
gavin s

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:45 pm

There re no guidelines for things unofficial. Gut feeling I suppose. It usually works for me, and I have to do it all the time, and I'm quite satisfied the cost and the result.
jazzman

Postby Makmak456 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 am

Ya need a permit and plans to build ??
All I have is a single sheet of paper with a hand drawn "idea" of what I want :)
Makmak456

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:22 am

Makmak456 wrote:Ya need a permit and plans to build ??
All I have is a single sheet of paper with a hand drawn "idea" of what I want :)

That'll do in some areas :)

MGV12

Next

Return to legal and finance