protection against girlfriend stealing my land

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

60minuteman

protection against girlfriend stealing my land

Post by 60minuteman »

OK, im pretty confident that me and my thai girlfriend are looking to stay together and live happily ever after, but, im 38, its not the first time i will have been wrong about that one, and although im 99% sure she has been honest with me all along, at the back of my mind i have this fear of her waiting for the land deeds (which of course will be in her name) and doing a runner, so to speak....i mean its possible, it happens doesnt it?. Although a million baht isnt going to change my life here in the uk, im sure it would do for her in thailand...

is there any contract i can get drawn up before i pay my million baht for land in her name that at least gives me some re-course in the thai coursts, im sure it wont give me 100% protection, but peace of mind is nice.

If anyone thinks that im mad going through with this when i have nagging doubts then they have probably never been married! lol

cheers for any advice.
60minuteman

Re: protection against girlfriend stealing my land

Post by 60minuteman »

oh, i intend to go down the usufruct route after the land is paid for and the deeds have arrived, what im looking for is some contract between me and my girlfriend to say i have given her the money to buy the land, so i can make a claim to it, or to the money..
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

As far as I know, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if something goes wrong, so if you don't trust her 101%, don't do it.
thaifly

Post by thaifly »

60minuteman wrote:oh, i intend to go down the usufruct route after the land is paid for and the deeds have arrived, what im looking for is some contract between me and my girlfriend to say i have given her the money to buy the land, so i can make a claim to it, or to the money..
its a gidday again to 60m/m...suggest you do the same..legal section..see a lawyer..its a drogba brace GIDDAY TO ALL its the tthaiflyfrom mae rim
Nawty

Post by Nawty »

Leases and loan agreements between husband and wife have been talked about as being null and void by the courts as such an agreement between husband and wife is seen to be a disadvantage to usually the wife and so on and so on...
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
geordie

Post by geordie »

This is not going to make sixtyminit man feel any better
My wifes sister is lousy at cards and in the cr.p again
My wife is trying to get me to buy some land(tip for tree roots and god knows what else)her two sisters bought 2 rai for £9000 she wants to sell me half for only one million Baht
The farmer that sold them the land had used a tractor to clean up pushed the crap into one corner and sold it to them i got to see it just after monsoon and all the crap was poking out of the mud

WHAT PRICE LOYALTY
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
60minuteman

Post by 60minuteman »

jeez, youre all making me feel better.....lol

so, i've read all the posts and the more i read the more im confused..... now i dont know what to do....damn it!

To be honest although im only 38, i wouldnt mind a 30 year lease.... by 68 i will be lucky to still be above ground anyway...lol

off topic here.... is there anyway of checking if my girlfriend is still married????

Ok ok, im suspicious, but if you do your research on thailand and youre not then your mad or a fool, and sure i love women as much as the next man, but come on..... theyre in control whatever country you live in.
thaifly

Post by thaifly »

60minuteman wrote:
so, i've read all the posts and the more i read the more im confused..... now i dont know what to do....damn it!

To be honest although im only 38, i wouldnt mind a 30 year lease.... .
its a gidday to 60m/m..its the thai fly from mae rim... cobber ....well done .. you are now getting a hold of yourself.. look up a lawyer... just .for your own healths sake. it would be a nice investment ...its a lulu lulu GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
Nawty

Post by Nawty »

Yes....a good lawyer... :lol:
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

Nawty wrote:Yes....a good lawyer... :lol:
With the emphasis on GOOD.
Without wanting to make things seem even worse ..... there are a lot of untrustworthy lawyers around so be careful who you trust. :roll:
Maybe another legal topic should be "Can I use a lawyer to sue a lawyer?"
jaytee

Post by jaytee »

Nawty wrote:Yes....a good lawyer... :lol:
good lawyers are in abundance in thailand no different from good builders etc etc as in all professions their are inconfident ones which can be avoided by doing a research even the oldest profession in the world prostituion has good ones and bad ones :lol:
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

For a usufruct which is a watertight agreement and gives you full control of the land (except for selling it) to the day you die, you don't even need a lawyer, and the administrative fee is only 75 baht...
Read all about it on the CoolThaiHouse forum.
geordie

Post by geordie »

A GOOD LAWYER

I think we all have through necesity used a lawyer ? why do they come off as third most hated profesion Top 10 dot com
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Probably because of the exceptionally high fees they charge that are totally disproportionate to their knowledge, commitment to work, and low operational costs.
geordie

Post by geordie »

OOPS i thought it was based on customer satisfaction trafic wardens Beat them to no ,1 spot
but its under reveiw i think polititions are current top scorer,s and tax officers no,2
The americans have the right idea they have banned animal testing but its still legal to use a lawyer and recomended
great how they want the fees up front if it was on productivity they would be skint