How to verify the chanote before buying

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Chris Z

How to verify the chanote before buying

Post by Chris Z »

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on this list for a while, reading with interest all the comments. An opportunity has presented itself to purchase a piece of property in Rangsit to start a home construction project and I have a few concerns.

The property in question is a distressed asset from a bank. They have 2 properties, both the same size but different dimensions basically across the street from each other. One property is 25% less than the other, and it looks to be more valuable. It will require significantly less fill dirt and is slightly closer to the main road.

The property is not in a planned community or any type of residential estate. There are a few private houses on the street, which is paved and has power. Otherwise, it appears to be made up of lots bought up by speculators waiting for the property value to go up as developments creep further north.

My question is, how do I check to guarantee I am getting the number of sq. wah the bank says I am getting. From what I have heard, the chanot could be wrong...and from analysis the cheaper/better property is a good deal, while the expensive property (supposedly the same size) is much closer to market value.

In the situation where you are buying from a bank, how do you verify that you are getting what you think? Anyone have experience with this? It is unlikely I'll get them (the bank) to change their standard contract and terms, or even be reasonable, so I need to fully protect myself beforehand. Any advice?

Thanks,

Chris
cruzing

verify chanote

Post by cruzing »

Hi Chris,

I think another member of this forum and his wife bought from a Bank. You might try to find his post and pm him.

The only other thing I know is go to the bank and ask for a copy of the chanote and then have someone do a survey. If you go to the bank you get a chance to see the original chanote too.

Cruzing.
kensington

Land Titles: Get it checked by a Thai Lawyer

Post by kensington »

Hi,

My suggestion woudl be to get a profesional Thai lawyer to take the copy to the land office and get it checked by them. Easy and not too expensive. If you need a recommendation for a lawyer, just e-mail me. Much better to be safe than sorry. :D
the limey

Re: Land Titles: Get it checked by a Thai Lawyer

Post by the limey »

kensington wrote:Hi,

My suggestion woudl be to get a profesional Thai lawyer to take the copy to the land office and get it checked by them. Easy and not too expensive. If you need a recommendation for a lawyer, just e-mail me. Much better to be safe than sorry. :D
so we have to email you for the lawyers details then? are his details a big secret?
cruzing

Re: Land Titles: Get it checked by a Thai Lawyer

Post by cruzing »

kensington wrote:Hi,

Why can't you just go to the land office yourself?

Cruzing
dozer
Site Admin

subject to a survey

Post by dozer »

It is pretty easy to make the sale subject to a survey by the land office. I know you are buying from the bank, but they shouldn't have any problem with you making it subject to a survey, you agree to pay the price per tah rang wah if it is + or - stated in the chanote.

My experience with chanotes are some are fairly accurate and some are way off depending on when and how they were done. Very old chanotes that were converted from nor sor 3 were just converted by satilitte photo or helicopter survey without a physical land survey, and these are the ones that are really bad.

If it is a simple land shape and not to big it is easy to just go out and measure it yourself. They is an blog article on how to compute the land area of any 4 sided land plot.