building inspections

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

dozer
Site Admin

building inspections

Post by dozer »

posted for Michael H
In about six months I will start building my home in Thailand. I plan on
being there watching the entire process. I am familiar with the construction of homes in the USA but not Thailand. I have watched the construction of some homes in Thailand to get an idea of the process.
My main concern is the foundation columns of the home. I am sure there is a government building code or directive the general contractor must follow and is the standard for all private and government home inspectors to follow when inspecting a home during the construction process. What I need is to find on the internet or when I travel to Thailand I can locate in the local library is the building code, directives or guidelines the inspectors must use when inspecting foundations of homes to insure it is done to government code. It does not matter if the information is in Thai language or not. When I open my mouth and say this is not correct I have the support of the building code to back me up.
dozer
Site Admin

inspections

Post by dozer »

First off, there are no government sponsered inspections during the building process. In some areas like Pattaya you must get your building plans approved and signed off. Theoretically the planning commisioner will inspect to make sure that you didn't turn in a plan for a house and build an apartment complex, but as far as if things were done 'to code' thats all up to you.

Before the electric department hooks you up to city electric they will also ask you a few questions, mostly about grounded electric, before they agree to the hook up.

If you want an inspection you must hire an engineer which isn't a bad idea but is seldom done on single story buildings. Sometimes your general contractor will have an engineer on staff.

good luck.
cruzing

electric hookup

Post by cruzing »

Just to add to what Dozer wrote about inspections.

If you live in Na Jom Tien municipality your electicity is supplied by the Navy. They WILL come out and do an inspection of your wires and make sure they meet their requirements.

Cruzing
RobinT

Post by RobinT »

:D

hi all

foundations are very important, my wifes house was built very shabbily 10 years ago and its falling apart

typical practice is to dig a hole 1/2 meter deep for the pre-cast concrete posts

this assumes dry ground that is well settled for several years

personally I would insist on 1 meter deep hole. have some simple plans drawn up showing a 1 meter deep hole. Make yourself a simple wooden template shaped like a Tee to use as a depth guage

Tell the foreman very clearly 4 times that the holes must be 1 meter deep

watch them closely or they will revert to old habits

make it clear you will not pay if they fail :twisted:

always tie the post into the infill wall with 3mm rebar strands, base middle and top

my columns were done using the nasty "drill a hole and bang in a masonary nail" method

do not accept this method under any circumstances. the columns on my wifes house are gradually splaying outwards and there are large gaps opening up between the infill walls and the columns - what a nightmare :evil:

so tie all your columns together so they cant move

dont put the septic tank closer than 2 meters to a column, it will soften the ground
cruzing

Re: posts

Post by cruzing »

RobinT wrote::D
So tie all your columns together so they cant move
Better yet, don't use columns. :wink:

Cruzing
Attila

Re: posts

Post by Attila »

cruzing wrote:
RobinT wrote::D
So tie all your columns together so they cant move
Better yet, don't use columns. :wink:

Cruzing
OK, no columns in my new house. Just walls build with loadbearing blocks. :D

There had been no chairs in Thailand, this way of sitting has been imported not so long ago. Now there are chairs everywhere.

The concept of building with loadbearing blocks is also new. But especially where farangs build, for example in the Chonburi area, there are many houses already without columns.

They tell you here usually to use columns because that's still all they know. It is up to you guys, how you want your house built.