GETTING MARRIED - why bother?

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

jazzman

Re: GETTING MARRIED - why bother?

Post by jazzman »

Nawty wrote:I live in sin and love it. Also it seems many hi-so people with business and property interests are also doing the same these days.
Then you are very fortunate. Some people have more modest circumstances, more modest homes, and and don't live in the anonymity of a very big city.
Smithson wrote: I've heard so many nightmares that it's nearly driven me insane, enough to make you consider living in a mud and bamboo hut!

Generally, at least in my experience, the people who get screwed by their wives and families are the ones who just would not heed the warnings, or look for advice. We may be slightly off topic, but a classic example is of course that in Thai society, a sinsod is paid for a woman only once in a lifetime, and never for a single woman who has already known a man. But some people aren't interested in the cultural backgrounds of the countries they live in - they're only here for the beer. Others, who have large disposable incomes might genuinely not need to be so cautious.
Smithson

Post by Smithson »

Regarding marriage and social norms, I really think it's very similar to the West now. If two ppl want to live together, ppl may (or may not) decide to gossip, that's what they do in small towns. The fact that you're a farang is a much more juicier bit of chatter than not having a ceremony.

Just wanted to say it because I know farang pushed into things here after hearing it's not acceptable to live together. It's good to understand the cultural norms, the biggest one of all seems to be "up to you"

Back on topic of registering marriage, apparently my wife can borrow against the property, however the usufruct prevents her from doing this. We're planning on building a house, interest rates are cheaper than Aust, so borrowing here is a good idea. So considering this I've actually thought of canceling the usufruct and borrowing. Whatever is built becomes half mine anyway...at least in theory.
thaifly

Post by thaifly »

Smithson wrote:
thaifly wrote: t.
I've heard so many nightmares that it's nearly driven me insane, enough to make you consider living in a mud and bamboo hut!
g gidday smithy...its the thaifly from mae rim....they will find you there in your mud hut also...as i said in a earlier post who gives a s**t about living in sin...the quicker you wake up to the fact ITS THE ALMIGHTY BAHT that counts here....the better you will prosper....in other words...TREAT THEM MEAN AND KEEP THEM KEEN GIDDAY to all its the thaifly from mae rim
Nawty

Post by Nawty »

I was told that the usufuct did not stop her from borrowing against it.

Can you explain where that info comes from ?

Also I wonder if this new escrow arrangement could be moulded to suit.

Apparently while in escrow there is absolutley no way money can be borrowed against it...zip.

Question is, how long can you have an escrow deal go on for ?
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Smithson

Post by Smithson »

The lawyer who did the usufruct told me the bank wouldn't lease against it. The previous owner told us (after the sale) that the bank had approved a building loan for more than the land value. As we're married assets bought are 50 - 50, so if we paid of a loan together it would be a very fair arrangement and the sense of ownership would be shared, which would make both of us feel more secure.