wood glue

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

wood glue

Postby canopy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:46 am

Has anyone found wood glue suitable for exterior use such as entrance doors?
canopy

Re: wood glue

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:23 pm

canopy wrote:Has anyone found wood glue suitable for exterior use such as entrance doors?

I would give "WeldWood" a try, it looks to be similar to cascamite

You may even find that amazon will ship Cascamite to you https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cascamite-Powdered-Resin-Wood-Glue/dp/B0001OZI98
Sometimewoodworker

Postby canopy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Sure, abroad there are plenty of good options and in fact I might end up doing that. But I would prefer something available in Thailand. I noticed thaicarpenter had some possibilities, but out of stock at present.
canopy

Postby schuimpge » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:54 pm

canopy wrote:Sure, abroad there are plenty of good options and in fact I might end up doing that. But I would prefer something available in Thailand. I noticed thaicarpenter had some possibilities, but out of stock at present.

They have rock wood available. Should be what you're looking for. I've seen rock-wood available at Home Pro as well.

Cheers,
Luc

http://www.thaicarpenter.com/%E0%B8%AA% ... B8%94.html
schuimpge

Postby canopy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:14 am

I do see Rock Wood at home pro. Rock wood must be called something else in other countries as there is so little on the web about it. From the little I have found, it may be suitable for indoor use only. I would want to see a water resistant certification before buying.
canopy

Postby schuimpge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 am

Didn't check that when I posted it.
But after some searching: http://kosmikgroup.com/2017/index.php/% ... A%E0%B8%9A

Kosmik Group seems to be the manufacturer, though labels and advertisement mention: Italy.

Didn't find any other references, but I guess Kosmik is your best bet to check.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:22 am

canopy wrote:I do see Rock Wood at home pro. Rock wood must be called something else in other countries as there is so little on the web about it. From the little I have found, it may be suitable for indoor use only. I would want to see a water resistant certification before buying.

As it's a plastic resin glue it's probably urea based which makes it in the same category as cascamite. That is definitely a waterproof glue.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:33 pm

What a great product Cascamite was. My dad was a woodwork teacher so we always had big tins of the stuff at home.
he certainly used more of it for tables and outdoor benches.
As I recall it mixed white but dried almost clear....when I was a woodworking student I seem to recall Cow glue.(made at the knackers yard) :shock:

my own attempts at making wood glue with sawdust and latex glue are not too succesful. i find the latex dries like acryllic sealant and shrinks so two applications days apart has been the norm.

I am going to guess a pre mixed wood glue from the likes of Home Pro could be costly.
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:55 pm

eyecatcher wrote:What a great product Cascamite was. My dad was a woodwork teacher so we always had big tins of the stuff at home.
As I recall it mixed white but dried almost clear....when I was a woodworking student I seem to recall Cow glue.(made at the knackers yard) :shock:

my own attempts at making wood glue with sawdust and latex glue are not too succesful. i find the latex dries like acryllic sealant and shrinks so two applications days apart has been the norm.

I am going to guess a pre mixed wood glue from the likes of Home Pro could be costly.

You aren't making glue you are making filler. Homepro is probably the most expensive place to get it. Thai carpenter would be a better place, or if you're making a trip to Bangkok the wood street will have it.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:50 am

All woodworking factories in Thailand (incl. myself) use 2-component bond supplied in bulk (barrels) by few wholesale Thai suppliers. Mixed in prescribed ratio prior to usage, to be applied within 1/2 h.

After suitable squeezing left for aging 1/2 - 1 day. Then, further machining can be used. If somebody in the North interested, can PM me, a small quantity can be substracted.

Will attach few pictures. Can be see also on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TdxeHByzyw

Klondyke

Postby schuimpge » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
eyecatcher wrote:What a great product Cascamite was. My dad was a woodwork teacher so we always had big tins of the stuff at home.

You aren't making glue you are making filler. Homepro is probably the most expensive place to get it. Thai carpenter would be a better place, or if you're making a trip to Bangkok the wood street will have it.

Yep indeed. Always keeping sawdust from a project until the project is finished. In case of any gaps, just mix the dust with some wood glue and fill the gaps, screw-holes, etc.
My neighbour makes those altar table sets, does a very nice job on it. 100% hand-made. Ever since he walked in and checked out what I was doing, he noticed the filler and has since used that method as well. Only, he uses a mortar to really grind the dust as small as possible before mixing it..

As for glue, I'm using Elmer's Glue (Home-Pro). Very good stuff, way better and faster drying times than the cheap latex glue.
Think it's like 700 Baht for half a gallon. But the quality really is worth it when compared to white latex glue.
Can only find Titebond on ThaiCarpenter, and they price it at 1800 Baht p/gallon, so not really a big difference I think, though I don't have experience with TiteBond so can't compare quality wise.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Klondyke wrote:All woodworking factories in Thailand (incl. myself) use 2-component bond supplied in bulk (barrels) by few wholesale Thai suppliers. Mixed in prescribed ratio prior to usage, to be applied within 1/2 h.

After suitable squeezing left for aging 1/2 - 1 day. Then, further machining can be used. If somebody in the North interested, can PM me, a small quantity can be substracted.

Will attach few pictures. Can be see also on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TdxeHByzyw

Interesting Klondyke.. The video is made in your factory?
Nice step by step breakdown. Bit scary on the use of Table-saw and spindles though.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Klondyke » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:08 pm

schuimpge wrote:Interesting Klondyke.. The video is made in your factory?
Nice step by step breakdown. Bit scary on the use of Table-saw and spindles though.
Cheers,
Luc

Just yesterday I have answered a mail I am always receiving once the program is broadcast in Canada:
P.S. Thanks to "How it is made" TV program I now know about your work. Just too bad for the precious trees but what you do is beautiful.

My reply will answer also the question of Luc:
Dear Sarah,
Thanks for your words of appreciation of our humble work, it always cheers us up. The program was shot few years ago here at our factory by people from Montreal and they air it time by time on the Discovery.
After each airing of How Its Made I always am getting a number of requests asking for bowls shown on that broadcasting. Unfortunately, I have to disappoint them, we do not have our own retail in the USA and Canada. And we are not familiar with shipping just one.

As of her concern about the "precious trees" I have attached another lengthy explanation accompanied by pictures...

To the concern of Luc:
Every evening the workers are checked on number of fingers (niu) left ... :D
Klondyke

Postby canopy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:25 pm

schuimpge wrote:Can only find Titebond on ThaiCarpenter, and they price it at 1800 Baht p/gallon

Everything I have learned about Titebond iii is fantastic

1. certified waterproof suitable for indoor or outdoor use
2. certified food safe; can use it for making cutting boards and things
3. longer working time than most glues
4. single part, cleans up with water
5. the choice of experts
6. great technical support that understands tropical hardwoods and how to make effective glue jobs

If you go to the franklinadhesivesandpolymers.com and look at distributors you will find one for Thailand and price is 1700 baht/gallon which is the smallest quantity they sell. Needless to say, I am now a happy customer.
canopy

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:26 pm

canopy wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Can only find Titebond on ThaiCarpenter, and they price it at 1800 Baht p/gallon

Everything I have learned about Titebond iii is fantastic

1. certified waterproof suitable for indoor or outdoor use
2. certified food safe; can use it for making cutting boards and things
3. longer working time than most glues
4. single part, cleans up with water
5. the choice of experts
6. great technical support that understands tropical hardwoods and how to make effective glue jobs

If you go to the franklinadhesivesandpolymers.com and look at distributors you will find one for Thailand and price is 1700 baht/gallon which is the smallest quantity they sell. Needless to say, I am now a happy customer.

Just 1 point virtually all glue and certainly all finishes are food safe once they are fully cured. The only reason that many finishes and glues are not certified as food safe is the very considerable costs involved in getting a certificate, not that any changes are needed to be "food safe".
Sometimewoodworker

Next

Return to wood and woodworking