Attaching moldings to concrete wall

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Attaching moldings to concrete wall

Postby cangolfbuilder » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Hello how are you? I will be using the Thai standard concrete beams and columns with Qcon AAC blocks for my walls. All walls will be concrete rendered and the ceilings will be gypsum board. I want to install crown molding around the ceilings and casing molding around all the doors and windows and baseboard molding. I also want chair rail molding and wainscoting in some of the rooms and up the stairwell. To any of you who have installed these features how did you attach them? Can you use concrete finishing nails and adhesive or do you have to pre drill and screw it all down. How did you do it? Thanks
Attachments
floor_to_ceiling_crafts.png
cangolfbuilder

Re: Attaching moldings to concrete wall

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:10 pm

cangolfbuilder wrote:Hello how are you? I will be using the Thai standard concrete beams and columns with Qcon AAC blocks for my walls. All walls will be concrete rendered and the ceilings will be gypsum board. I want to install crown molding around the ceilings and casing molding around all the doors and windows and baseboard molding. I also want chair rail molding and wainscoting in some of the rooms and up the stairwell. To any of you who have installed these features how did you attach them? Can you use concrete finishing nails and adhesive or do you have to pre drill and screw it all down. How did you do it? Thanks

In large part it will depend on the materials that you decide to use. As an example a foamed polystyrene crown moulding will only need adhesive with a few brad or finish nails to stop it moving while the glue sets. AAC block doesn't need concrete nails as it's comparatively soft.

For wainscoting I guess that you intend "faux wainscoting" rather than the real thing. If that's the case then the same technique applies, adhesive with a few nails to hold it in place.

As to casings for doors and windows, it will depend on the subframe. Here they are usually concrete not wood so dril, plug and screw will probably be needed.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby cangolfbuilder » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:23 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. I plan on using teak because it is available or MDF like we use in Canada if I can find it. The MDF comes in many different styles and widths that it gives you a wide range of design choice. It also looks great after painting. It would be less time consuming to apply glue and then brad nail it. My concern would be if the render would crack and start to spider web. Do you think that that could be an issue?
cangolfbuilder

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:48 am

cangolfbuilder wrote:Hi, thanks for the reply. I plan on using teak because it is available or MDF like we use in Canada if I can find it. The MDF comes in many different styles and widths that it gives you a wide range of design choice. It also looks great after painting. It would be less time consuming to apply glue and then brad nail it. My concern would be if the render would crack and start to spider web. Do you think that that could be an issue?

The final answer is that the fixing method will depend on the weight of the trim and where it's being fitted. So there's no one simple answer.

If you're going to use teak you will need deep pockets, as yes it's available but it's probably more expensive than in Canada :? If however you mean a tropical hard wood then there are places specially in wood street that have a good selection. They also have teak if you really want to use it.

As to MDF profiles AFIK you can't get them in Thailand unless you try to import them yourself, and good luck with that.

With render spider webbing it might if it's poor quality or you didn't put a mesh behind it on the corners and round the windows and doors. I haven't heard of problems like that.
Attachments
image.jpg
Some profiles
Sometimewoodworker

Return to wood and woodworking