Laminate flooring on tiles question.

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Laminate flooring on tiles question.

Postby chris0001 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 am

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can lay laminate wood floor panels ontop of tiles? or do the tiles need to be taken up?
chris0001

Re: Laminate flooring on tiles question.

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:41 am

chris0001 wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows if you can lay laminate wood floor panels ontop of tiles? or do the tiles need to be taken up?

I don't know about laminated wood floor panels by I do know about carpet lade over tiles. I was assured by the carpet people that the tiles wouldn't lift, but within 5 weeks a number of tiles did lift (I think caused by the heat or damp) after we had the carpet cleaned. And once they lifted it was impossible to get at them without taking out half the carpet. And it was the grout that caused them to lift, the tiles were still whole, but had lifted at the grout lines. I believe it has to do with expansion.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Laminate flooring on tiles question.

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:30 pm

Adhesive won't stick with the tiles. Aside fom that, you need a very flat surface.
Best to take out the tiles, put a new, thin layer of cement and then have the laminate laid down.
I had laminate laid in my house. Ordered from Home-Pro. They first came over to measure and inspect the floor.
Subsequently, my workers prepared accordingly and the company laying the floor did the whole house within a day, 3 rooms, 2 hallways, including all the skirting. About 75sqmt..
schuimpge

Return to wood and woodworking