Structural feature posts connection to concrete

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Structural feature posts connection to concrete

Postby eyecatcher » Fri May 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi guys
Bought half a dozen 200x200 timber posts last week for my project. It was that love at first sight moment for me! So they delivered the Mai taengs at 250kg a piece and spent 6 days sanding down and re treating.
Obviously I need a suitable timber to concrete connection.
I am not impressed at all by the thin metal strap connection with the bolt through, and even less impressed with the looped rebar with a coach screw holding it in place.
my posts will be sitting on theend of a concrete ring beam which in turn is on its own post and pad found so there will not be any direct connection with the ground.
i am also going to be turning the posts around so the original bottom end will be trimmed off (some rot already there)and used to carry the roof wallplates.

Thinking about casting a metal plate with rebar(s) welded to it and setting it in situ when the beams are poured. Thereafter want to make a 200x200 "c" section open shoe and giving it a couple of 215 through bolts.
Then set the post up, adjust to the exact position and then weld the two plates together.
DSC_0083.JPG
DSC_0123.JPG
20150522_152428.jpg

Anyone have any words of wisdom, or other techniques for fixing that bottom end.
eyecatcher

Re: Structural feature posts connection to concrete

Postby canopy » Sat May 23, 2015 6:56 am

I use timberlinx. They are a proven, engineered product for this application. An advantage of timberlinx is when you are finished you just push a dowel into the horizontal hole making the connection completely invisible all around the post. You can either precast the anchor rods into the the slab or drill and epoxy them in later. I prefer the stainless steel option as rust is a big problem here.

Tip: whatever you decide to do, be sure to set your posts on appropriate pads to keep moisture from wicking up into the wood from the concrete as well as deter condensation at the post bottom. I bought acrylic at a local hardware store and they cut it into all the pads on the spot and wouldn't even accept a tip for the nice job.

timberlinx.jpg

tl.jpg

Locking a post down tight with an allen wrench.

frame.jpg
canopy

Return to wood and woodworking