wooden log-cabins

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

wooden log-cabins

Postby tommy » Wed May 11, 2005 12:33 am

I am looking for a Thai factory which can build wooden log-cabins 3 meters by 5 meters.
tommy

Re: wooden log-cabins

Postby cruzing » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:12 pm

tommy wrote:I am looking for a Thai factory which can build wooden log-cabins 3 meters by 5 meters.

Well, I see no one has answered you yet.
Am I understanding you correctly that you want to build a log cabin IN Thailand??? If so, why? Termites are mandatory here.

There is a place on the road to Sanam Luang II in Phuttamonthon that sells log cabins. Whether or not they are manufactured here, I couldn't tell you. I can however tell you this; that to be able to have a log cabin in Thailand they have to treat the wood with a lot of chemicals. Now, do you really want to live with that day in and day out? Not good for your health.
To each his own I guess.

Cruzing
cruzing

Postby the limey » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:26 pm

Several friends of mine built houses out of coconut wood, now this I would normally say is a waste of time, the wood is too soft etc, ok these they built about 15 years ago, the wood is so hard now you have to drill it to put a nail in it, although I think if they got termites in the early stages they would have regreted it, Teak obviously is a differant thing altogether, it has some oil or something in it that insects do not like.
the limey

Postby cruzing » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:39 pm

The Limey wrote:Several friends of mine built houses out of coconut wood, now this I would normally say is a waste of time, the wood is too soft etc, ok these they built about 15 years ago, the wood is so hard now you have to drill it to put a nail in it, although I think if they got termites in the early stages they would have regreted it, Teak obviously is a differant thing altogether, it has some oil or something in it that insects do not like.

Quite true Mr. Limey :D However, my husband and I were just talking the other day about teak wood and he was saying that even teak wood nowadays gets termites. The reason being they cut it too young. Case in point, a big thai teak house in Jom Tien needs meggawork termite damage repair done on it. So, if you want teak you'd better find used teak. Probably cost you a tad more though.

Cruzing
cruzing

Postby the limey » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:13 pm

cruzing.
I maybe totally wrong here but I believe all teak trees have to be grown for at least 10 years and registered with the government, each tree needs its own bit of paper or something, otherwise the police will pull you up and ask if you have a license for that tree :)

I have also heard of people dumping teak trees into the sea to absorb salt water, when they sink is when they are ready for seasoning, the salt obviously deters insects.

Dont knock me on this as I have no idea how much of this is true, but in Australia they soak wood in a cynanide mixture, this stops the insects dead....
the limey

Postby cruzing » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:40 am

The Limey wrote:cruzing.
I maybe totally wrong here but I believe all teak trees have to be grown for at least 10 years and registered with the government, each tree needs its own bit of paper or something, otherwise the police will pull you up and ask if you have a license for that tree :)

I have also heard of people dumping teak trees into the sea to absorb salt water, when they sink is when they are ready for seasoning, the salt obviously deters insects.

Dont knock me on this as I have no idea how much of this is true, but in Australia they soak wood in a cynanide mixture, this stops the insects dead....

You may be 100% accurate in what the practice is nowadays. However a teak tree is not mature and ready to cut until it is over 50 years old. Teak trees never used to be cut until they were really old. Now they know anything made with teak will get them buyers, so make your own deductions.

Personally, I wouldn't use any wood that had been soaked in chemicals. Not knowingly anyway, and we usually ask if we have doubts.

Cruzing
cruzing

Return to wood and woodworking