Wood flooring

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Wood flooring

Postby Baht Man » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:51 am

Do Home (amongst others) has a couple types on display and I was thinking :-"

As I'm in the start of a build and forward thinking, it looked appealing and not a lot more than the tile I was looking at someplace.

One was only about 1/4 inch thick but another was maybe 3/4 inch, 5 layer base with anti termite something or other built in, a venier layer on that and a bunch of top coats of a sealer over that.

Has anyone here used this type of flooring here (I had hardwoods in the states) that could give me some feedback?

I have slight concerns about moisture seepage (only slight) but it would occure even with tile anyway.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Re: Wood flooring

Postby thailazer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:00 am

We've been considering that type of material here as well. We asked one company about the moisture coming through the concrete and they stated they install it on a thin plastic foam that also forms a vapor barrier. Some of those floors look quite nice and a lot cheaper than solid Teak. Hopefully others will chime in with more information on these laminates.
thailazer

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:56 pm

There are a vast array timber floors on the market, or Floating Floors as they are known here. They also come in various thicknesses, but all (as far as I'am aware) require a layer of plastic foam under. This allows for minor irregularities in the floor itself and also blocks any moisture. The panels clip together very tightly all around ends as well, with no room for any expansion what so ever, therefor the most important part of laying is to ensure ALL borders have a min 10m.m. gap to the walls for that reason. With a new build that gap is easily covered by the skirting installed last, other wise a special moulding is used to cover that gap. Failure to allow a gap results in parts of your floor forming blister like parts that go up and down when walked on.
I went for the German one "Uni-Clip" that was all synthetic and with a very hard wearing finish (A bit like Formica) it requires no maintenance except for maybe a wipe with a wet cloth if dirty. Some of the thicker ones have a layer of real wood veneer that can be sanded and re-coated but the cost exceeds the total cost of a new synthetic floor, mine has been down for 8years here in Oz.
It is a very easy type of floor to instal if one just follows the instructions, with very little if any waste as all the end joints are staggered with the piece that is cut off the last panel across is what you start the next row with, unless of course it's only a tiny couple of inches . There should be a set of tools available like a block of rubber with a rebate in it and a steel hook like strap for placing the end panel, all of which will not be your concern if you are having a company supply and fix. But it may be of some help when making your choice.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:57 am

Here's a couple of photos of the floor I laid over part old timber floor and part new concrete of an extension.

<test - mod>
Attachments
DSCN4802.JPG
Finished floor with skirting covering 10m.m. gap.
DSCN4790.JPG
My little helper, that's how easy it is, she is using the rebated rubber block to click the end joints together Steel strap for last piece behind door.
Mike Judd

Return to wood and woodworking