Finishing old wood

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Finishing old wood

Postby thailazer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Thinking about making some shelves for the house out of old rice barn wood. I see a lot of shelves and other furniture made from that and they are invariably rather dark, almost black and am wondering what the finishing process is. It looks pretty good and I am sure it is a good option for old wood. Knowing that there are some real woodworking experts on CTH, I am looking for advice on how it is done.
thailazer

Re: Finishing old wood

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:50 am

thailazer wrote:Thinking about making some shelves for the house out of old rice barn wood. I see a lot of shelves and other furniture made from that and they are invariably rather dark, almost black and am wondering what the finishing process is. It looks pretty good and I am sure it is a good option for old wood. Knowing that there are some real woodworking experts on CTH, I am looking for advice on how it is done.

There are a few methods, first don't believe the name on the can for Thai products.

Second if you want to keep the grain pattern and look then you want to dye the wood (I would say stain but here that is in fact a coloured paint) to do that you can use aniline dye, Thai silk uses it, either water or alcohol based. Alcohol is better as it doesn't raise the grain. When it's dry a normal polyurethane will protect the surface.

FWIW I like the natural and lighter colours, but dark is in fashion now.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby thailazer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:45 am

Is the aniline dye on wood technique used often here? I do see pieces that have no brush marks at all so a stain was not likely used and wondering if that is the finish that I have seen. Going to look for that at the paint store. Thanks for the input.
thailazer

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:09 pm

thailazer wrote:Is the aniline dye on wood technique used often here? I do see pieces that have no brush marks at all so a stain was not likely used and wondering if that is the finish that I have seen. Going to look for that at the paint store. Thanks for the input.

I don't know if people using the aniline dye technique in Thailand.

You won't find aniline dyes in a paint store. At least I've never seen them. You will find that people who die silk and cotton will be using, or almost certainly will be using, aniline dyes.

The point about stains is that in Thailand they're not really stains. If you get a woodworking stain in the UK or America it will not be the same as the kind in Thailand. In the West it will be an almost clear colour so you can see the wood grain through it. But in Thailand it's merely another name for a brown or coloured paint.
Sometimewoodworker

Return to wood and woodworking