Wooden parquet

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Wooden parquet

Postby Sunpax » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am

hello :)

I'd like to know (aprox) how long does it take to make a wood parket over tiles floor ?

I mean i have first 70 m2 to do .....i still not have choice if i put laminate or wood ?

don't you thinck real wood will move with moist or dry weather......i will put also parket in kitchen...and bathroom

I have also the stairs to finish ! 18 stairs to cover with wood or shera ! do you thinck i can glu the wood on the stair without screw it ?
Sunpax

Re: Wooden parquet

Postby otis-a » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:03 pm

a few pics may help
btw
any udate pics or summary on u build?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:21 am

Check out Roberts build as he layed parquet too...:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1667&start=420

You may ask him how it looks like after a few months.
Maseratimartin

Postby Sunpax » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Hello Otis :)

No work until end of july ( after my visa ).....!.....and i have soooo many things to redone :( or finish...that i thinck i will need one year more to do everythings :(

i will post pictures in time ...for now i begin slowy (chacha) to take some advices and tips to build again !

MMartin....thanks i have do it !

I will be happy to take every kind of good tips to make a wood or laminate parket !
the most important for me is to know how long the work take..i live in the house and i will not support to have workers for a too long time !

wai :)
Sunpax

Postby cooked » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:46 am

one thing I do know is that you MUST open the packets of parquet in the place where they are going to be laid and left to absorb the ambient humidity for a few days. Unskilled workers don't do this. I know because I saw 150M2 of newly laid parquet being removed and thrown out in a house I was working at. This was even written on the packaging.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby Sunpax » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:33 am

Good to know ! good idea...thanks Cooked.
Sunpax

Postby Shastadad » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 am

Sunpax wrote:hello :)

I'd like to know (aprox) how long does it take to make a wood parket over tiles floor ?

Depends upon the installer

I mean i have first 70 m2 to do .....i still not have choice if i put laminate or wood ?

look at laminate at a store and then look at wood and I think that will answer it for you

don't you thinck real wood will move with moist or dry weather......i will put also parket in kitchen...and bathroom

Unless the kitchen is contiguous with the other room that will be covered, why ask for trouble....bathroom, you are definitely asking for trouble

I have also the stairs to finish ! 18 stairs to cover with wood or shera ! do you thinck i can glu the wood on the stair without screw it ?

Yes, it is possible IF your wood contractor knows how to do it

Here are some pictures of the completed floor:
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... 02&page=30

Here are some pictures that were submitted by my "consultant" showing me how wood floors should be installed. Fortunately he found a wood contractor that was able to eliminate the complicated "troughs" seen in the pictures and just "glue" the boards to the concrete floor

resized1265647588.jpg
resized 1265648537.jpg
resized 1265648915.jpg

Here are the boards in bundles and stairs with the boards "glued" to the cement steps in the background

_______0194_resize.jpg

333.JPG
Shastadad

Postby Sunpax » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks for the pics !!!

I have teak wood outside since 2 or 3 years and it doesn't move ..no muschroom...green things...termite or something else !

I think teak and bamboo can be use in wet rooms without probléme if its glue on ! and then oil...and not varnish

its so beautiful ! and warm ambiance...and in more i will put the wood parket in my own bathroom wih bath tub and no shower...so it will be not so much water on floor

I'm stiil searching for the working time on parket !!!
Sunpax

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 am

Just a few points on wood floors if I may. All wood expands and contracts with the changes in humidity and temperature,some woods more than others. With a solid nailed floor on joists it is usually cut and left as long as possible upside down to reach the ambient humidity (as with parquet) Then if being laid on concrete a bituminous glue is used to stop any moisture coming up from the concrete (Especially in Thailand where no plastic moisture barrier is used)
With the laminate flooring, if used it goes down on a layer of thin rubber like material with the absolute critical point that there must be at least 10m.m. gap all around the out-side of the floor which is usually covered by the skirting or a quad that is fixed to the wall only. Failing to do that will result in bubbles coming up at different spots. Trust me ! I saw a floor put down on Koh Samui at a friends resort where it was done right except where they screwed the sliding door tracks down through the floor, that had to come up and done right.

Mike Judd

Return to wood and woodworking