Wood floors

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Wood floors

Postby Nawty » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:46 pm

How do you build a second level floor so that you can see the wood as the ceiling from the ground level without noise or creeking issues.

I priced some wood yesterday....even though we not even started building again, always looking.....and it was expensive around here, recycled makah floorboards, very big stuff, wide and long, but enough in this one lot for 60sqm was 150,000b.

Now this is expensive, similar stuff we bought for the bungalow on the farm was a little more than half this price, but not as wide and certainly not as long.

So while i would not pay this much, we will be shopping around a lot more. Thing is even at half price it is still exy. we will need around 160sqm for upstairs, so with the high cost, i figured why not try to utilise it twice and see it as a nice wooden ceiling also.

problem is our bungalow is a little noisy when the kids are upstairs. so how do you do it ??

The cost for that wood is not installed, just the wood and needs finishing, dressing and all the rest.

Any ideas ??
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Re: Wood floors

Postby canopy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:32 am

A tongue and groove joint might help the boards act as one enough such that it would be rigid enough and not give or creak. It would also prevent any seams where there is a crack visible through the levels and where stuff can fall through the crack. I bought a router and did this with teak (the chang wanted 1000/meter just to route it!) and like the solidness of it.

For noise, as long as there are kids playing on the floor then lots of noise will be coming through. But what about throwing some oriental rugs or something over the top to help mute some of the lighter contact noises?
canopy

Postby Nawty » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm

For sure rugs are a probability....but then it kind of defeats the purpose and hides the wood.

How easy was it to tongue and groove all the planks yourself ?? How many square metres did you have to do ??
Nawty

Postby canopy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Did 30sqm with 6" wide boards using a 1/2" router with router table and those two pieces of equipment were barely enough to be honest. Was a tough 2 man job with earplugs and masks constantly trying to keep the boards on line in two planes. Also had to be mindful of the reference edge of each piece which is necessary unless all of your wood is exactly the same thickness. Result was well worth it and I would do definitely do it again. The wood is solidly interlocked, very strong and good looking.
canopy

Postby Nawty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks.

The wood i will be using will need dressing first as edges and surfaces will be old and various thicknesses i will imagine.

Thanks for the info.
Nawty

Return to wood and woodworking