staining wooden house

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

staining wooden house

Postby najarn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm

We are going to build a small wooden house on stilts using new mai daeng for floors (outside veranda under roof and living room and bedrooms) and walls. The wood has been dried for about four months, I hope that is enough?

If we want to keep the natural color or maybe change it to a shade more like golden teak (if that is possible), what do you suggest we should use in each case? Do you know if sellers of TOA let me test different shades (TOA Color World) if I bring a piece of wood?

Looking forward to your advice...
najarn

Re: staining wooden house

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:17 pm

najarn,
I have a golden teak wood front gate that was originally stained with poor quality oil stain and not sanded back properly. The colour varies from plank to plank, depending on the part of the tree it was cut from. It can range from a deep chocolate colour to a very light brownish yellow and finally after exposure for 12 to 2 years to the sun and elements it goes a grayish colour if not stained. The teak had not been sanded back properly and when I decided to stain it with a high quality German stain (I can check and see what we used) it took three sandings with my belt sander and different grades of sandpaper to get it totally smooth. It now has three coats of dark water based stain and will probably require that to be renewed ever five years.
HomePro and other large stores that stock paint in Thailand all have charts and I've found they know what they are talking about (most of the time) and will make recommendations. Take the sample into them and let them look at it, but make sure you get the high quality water based stain or otherwise it looks tacky. Do not get teak oil no matter what people tell you, it dries out, flakes off and looks ghastly.
Roger Ramjet

Postby najarn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks for your advice! I know Global House has Woodtect waterbased, you think that is a good brand? Does the waterbased give the same protection as the oil based?
najarn

Postby Nawty » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:59 am

We used Tung oil on our bungalow....very happy with the look and feel of it inside......verdict still out on the exterior, wait and see after 2 years.

Make sure you get a quality stain, not a thai one in other words, worth paying the extra for it.

I know someone that used the TOA ones and it turned out bad <edit for language - fredlk>....looked bad <edit for language - fredlk> in less than a year.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:36 am

I have used Sadolin [from Denmark] for many years in both the UK and Thailand ... it penetrates deeply into the wood and has never cracked on flaked in my experience when properly applied to clean new wood. It's not suitable for treating over any existing finishes. Price is not at all bad for a quality imported product ... worth the money I reckon. You can use just this and re-coat [no stripping required] when it appears to fade or to give added protection from increased UV here I have used Beger Delight SO14 as a top coat ... it's called a woodstain but is clear and dries semi-gloss. Delight is readily available but Sadolin can be a little more difficult to find ... Home Mart have it in many of their outlets.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby otis-a » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:12 pm

tung oil is the vote from me & brother
he doesnt really know that much except indoor cabinets/ 25 years at the cabinets
we r both pleased with results & is natural
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Nawty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:22 am

Otis.....did you use Tung outside as well.....or only inside.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby otis-a » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 am

never used it personally for this precise application.
i am wanting to see what Joe is doing these days and will ask and post once get connected. Got his voice mail last 2 calls- he is no big inet user- but will also post his facebook - last fb pm is still pending for 2 weeks
My guess is it works
Joe recommended tung oil for expensive woods as brings out natural color and stays on once applied.
anyone ever using tung knows it takes time to soak into wood so imagine reverse is true- seem to recall Joe said i could use sealer if i wanted, but never did as results were so fab with just the tung and i liked the natural wood look- gave a nice gloss but not shinny.
had one cheap patio pinewood box/table sitting outside that was tunged with leftover and it held up just fine during 5 years of observation. I also tunged my xj6's wood trim which would get blistering hot in summers- when traded the 87 jag in '03-ish the interior 'looked' spanking new
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Return to wood and woodworking