mai kiem wood

Anything to do with wood or woodworking for example, DIY woodworking, Construction techniques using wood, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

mai kiem wood

Postby windjammer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:19 am

I just bought two mai kiem (hardwood I was told) logs which i want to use to support the roof for the terrace. The wood is 6 inches thick and the bark is still on it. It is still fresh, has been cut a month ago.
I am afraid that the wood will start to split if I don't take care of it. What would be the best way to proceed, leave the bark on as long as possible or take it of and maybe varnish the wood? I am going to build the roof in about 1 week.
Any info is appreciated
windjammer

Re: mai kiem wood

Postby cruzing » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:36 pm

I think you are in for a big headache if you don't let that wood age. Hard wood or not, it was cut during rainy season. Even if it wasn't the cut during the rainy season, a month's drying time is nothing.....I'd say more like 9 month to a year. Put varnish over green wood and I shudder to think of the outcome. On top of that, imo, varnish is an inferior product, especially using it on anything outside. A good outdoor stain and teak oil, or some other wood oil, imo, would stand up better.....that is if you want a natural look. But I'd forget about using those logs anytime soon.

cruzing
cruzing

Return to wood and woodworking