"Baan Thai"- My battle against Time and Termites

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: "Baan Thai"- My battle against Time and Termites

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Chapter 14 day 87+88 contd

Lets start the floor tiling.

The previous tiling had a slight fall down to the basin area and then a fall to the back of the bog. The drain for the shower was originally at the lowest pointing the shower, but after the extension dropped half a yard the low point was behind the wc.

Four years ago I re screeded the floor level and created a slope back into the drain. just an open trench in effect. So the shower floor just stops 40mm from the wall and the water goes into the channel.

If we do a bum gun wash down behind the wc, likewise it will fall along the channel and under the shower wall.

I have to keep the same idea while ever we have this shower wall that Wasu doesn’t like. :wink:

I will set this floor out to take out some of the slope on the floor. I am convinced the building has dropped another 10mm. the floor wasn’t this steep when I re tiled it. My shower wall isn’t vertical, but that’s probably me and my early rendering days. My wall tiling is still horizontal so maybe its not moved.

I have a 15mm bed to make up at the basin end to level the floor so I am going to start with mixing some of the same sand and cement mortar/render that I have used on the wall here. Its unlikely to get wet, splashes maybe but I have some pukka waterproof adhesive for the shower area, and I am going to try some of this on my leaking sump.
So off we go….pretty easy and very quick.

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSC_0108.JPG

90 minutes and I had most of the full tiles down in the basin and the shower area and that included searching for some kind of transition strip from the floor to step down in to the shower.

I found a short length of chrome quadrant corner that was an offcut from our bathroom job and had since been using it to mix up wood stain for the last 18 months. :lol:

DSC_0109.JPG

It was a mess but I could salvage it with turps and lots of rubbing.

Ok it wasn’t perfect, after all that rubbing the polished chrome had become brushed chrome…..so I had actually increased it value wey hey!

DSC_0111.JPG

A bit of shortening and trimming on the flange and I can make a job of it. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Chapter 14 day 87+88 contd

DSC_0112.JPG

This bag of waterproof adhesive was expensive compared with the normal cheap stuff. I was at Thai watsadu getting a shower actually when I thought I shouldget some tile adhesive at the same tilme .

They had lots on display…99bt, 110bt, 129bt. It was all run of the mill basic adhesive mix.

Asking which waterproof adhesive was suitable for bathroom floors has the dimwits going into overdrive but I was patient and encouraging. :shock:

Yes, really; I had just spent half an hour with one bod trying to determine the difference between two Mazuma 4.5kw showers that looked identical inside, quite similar outside and were only 200bt different in the price.

After looking through the Davco brochure which the two sales assistants obviously never had read; I advised them that the 2 in 1 mix was suitable for shower floors and even swimming pools.

I could see from the brochure it was 329bt but when he returned with one, a 20kg bag in his arms... struggling obviously, the computer alerted him to the fact it was 359bt…now :shock:

I couldn’t be arsed to make a scene though I usually enjoy that part. :lol: and I do not like Thai Watsadu at all, its mega expensive unless you drop on a sale or a pricing mistake BUT they generally have a much better selection of everything so it’s a good place to browse without be unduly harassed.

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

So the full tiles are down and I am left with equally as many cut tiles from now on in and that will take care of my day tomorrow including my attempt to carve the tiles around the pan. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Chapter 14 day 89

I didn’t achieve my target today but that was because I spent the morning doing the weekly shop.

However half a day I spent on the cuts around the edges and I built the face upstand to the step.

DSC_0118.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

I had one tile that I hadn’t realized I had walked on yesterday as I was cleaning up. I stepped around this tile about 20 times to get into the shower area and even laid a board over them hence me not noticing.

So today I noticed it was well sunk and I had to scrape out all the bedding and start again.

The open drain in the shower has invited a few guests in its time, certainly a snail and a slug and probably a giant spider but it was never tidy and was exacerbated by the fact that the back wall isn’t square so the drain tapers relative to the floor tiles.

Today I was really going to try and continue the botched drain arrangement but wondered if I had any old drain pipe I could cut in half.

I found a short length that would just fit the existing channel. I cut it in half and made an effort to back fall it by lifting it at one end.

DSC_0121.JPG

I don’t want to block the channel because the water from the back of the wc needs to come through, running under my new drain channel in a double decker fashion.

Its not ideal but it looks ok now its jointed in to the wall tiles and if I paint it black to match the tiles no one will even see it…..if they do it will look like some funky design.

DSC_0124.JPG

I just have 6 tiles to fix now and they all involve the cutting around the wc pan, awkward and very slow I fear which will keep me busy tomorrow afternoon. :?
eyecatcher

Postby mikenot » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 pm

[quote="eyecatcher
I am sure my contribution here has been valuable and appreciated; but on this lost forum I am wasting time.[/quote]

Yes, your contribution is appreciated.
no, you are not .....IMHO.

I, for one, certainly enjoy your story and look forward to your updates.
Mike.
mikenot

Postby kiwimartin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi Mike - seems like at least 2 of us would like to see the Eyecatcher back on the 'front page'.....anyone else supporting that?
Surely not a big issue....might even boost the daily visits.
Cheers all.
kiwimartin

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:16 am

kiwimartin wrote:Hi Mike - seems like at least 2 of us would like to see the Eyecatcher back on the 'front page'.....anyone else supporting that?
Cheers all.

Make that 3..
Cheers
Luc
schuimpge

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:56 pm

schuimpge wrote:
kiwimartin wrote:Hi Mike - seems like at least 2 of us would like to see the Eyecatcher back on the 'front page'.....anyone else supporting that?
Cheers all.

Make that 3..
Cheers
Luc

its 4 because I dont want to be here either. you can see the popularity of this sub-forum, just me; its like masturbating in a cupboard :wink:

anyway back to the day job, 2.5yrs later
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Chapter 14 day 90

I did about 6 jobs today all in the wrong order. Its called not thinking ahead and just winging it. :roll:

I had the 6 tiles to fit around and behind the bog, I wasn’t looking forward to this as I needed to cut 4 tiles to the profile I had made earlier.

The good news was that my template was quite good.

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

DSC_0128.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0130.JPG

None of my cuts were too gappy, infact I did need to do a bit of trimming.

With the grinder you need to act fast.
With a curve you need act even faster as a slow cut will damage the surface of the tile.

Tiles fixed starting at the back; I had to get the drain channel in first otherwise I would never be able to reach it over the front tiles.
Job done and ok.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:27 pm

Chapter 14 day 90 contd

I was eager to get the tiles I fixed yesterday grouted. I had a few bags of grout left from before, both graphite and slate grey and white so I opted for the graphite and mixed the remainder of the bag.

Its not a big grouting job and by the time I had done the shower and the basin area I didn’t really want to come back and revisit the 6 tiles I fitted today, so I pressed on and grouted them.

DSC_0131.JPG

It shouldn’t be a problem, I hope they will not get disturbed where they are.

So having nicely grouted everywhere I could see I had some tile adhesive mix left.

I decided to fit three new tiles beside the basin wall. The old boxing was originally here so after breaking away a half tile with chards of ceramic spraying into my new grout I could fit three new tiles.

DSC_0132.JPG

I fitted these tiles 4 years ago and despite my best efforts they don’t sell them anymore! I had only 6 spares from that time which means I don’t have anywhere near enough to tile the basin boxing now.

DSC_0133.JPG

It will need a new contrasting tile or maybe timber…..I would not recommend a timber splashback to anyone so better not do one myself but maybe a hardwood sill is ok.?

Unless I go and salvage some of the old kitchen granite that’s been in the corner of the garden for 20 months…I am just thinking aloud here; always thinking always looking and finding a use for something.

Three tiles fitted and I am now thinking with a box of floor tiles spare I could run an upstand plinth skirting around the perimeter or just where there is a rendered wall.

The shower wall entrance is a mess. After breaking out the step its left an untiled area both sides but already I am thinking to get some wood in there.

I need the wood theme and will fit some cladding or something to funk it up.

So after grouting the tiles, yep I decided there and then to start fixing a plinth. So mixing again, making a mess again……why oh why didn’t I do this first and grout it the next day? I thinking I am turning into a Thai tradesman……arse rough and with out any thought.

DSC_0134.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0136.JPG

After all that its been a good day.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:02 pm

Chapter 14 day 91

This morning I asked for Wasus opinion on the shelf over the basin. I only mentioned a piece of wood or tiles

“ we can use the granite that’s outside, its there lets use it”

Of course I didn’t want to blag that I had already considered it because she is already feeling quite lifted that the whole of the interior design so far has been her idea. :shock:

Well not exactly; I think she requested a built in wardrobe and that was it but she did do a small design plan on a piece of paper 75mmx 100 so now claims to be the architect. :lol:

“oh that’s a good idea sweet I will check if we can use something” :wink:

I have 3 spare offcuts, two of them were actually less than 500mm too short really so it meant cutting a new piece from the larger offcut. its been propped up outside now for almost 2 years.

DSC_0138.JPG

Not too difficult to cut; just marked out the size then g clamped a steel straight edge along the cut line as a guide for the grinder.

Then off we go.

DSC_0139.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

Just a few minutes to cut through with a diamond wheel but you need to keep it wet to ease cutting, stop the blade overheating, and to keep the dust contained.

Whilst the grinder was out I ran a chamfer along the top and bottom edge. No guide but a steady hand with a reasonable pace is necessary.

DSC_0143.JPG

Shelf made, so a small mix of tile adhesive and cement is as good as anything. Job done in 90 minutes.

DSC_0145.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Chapter 14 day 91 contd

Next task is the tiling to the new boxing. This was also something I discussed with Wasu.

I had a full box of floor tiles leftover but they are square. I have a thing about square tiles on walls; it’s a no no in my opinion. Having said that I think rectangular tiles laid “landscape” is also wrong. :wink:

I wanted to go and get another box of tiles, but Wasu thought I should use the spare ones even if it meant cutting them from 300x300 to 300x200.

I decided to find out on the internet if you can/should use square tiles on a wall.

Surprisingly the top wackiest/funkiest/trendiest hip hop designs use the same tile on the wall as the floor and I was able to view a dozen designs.

I must admit I thought every design was pants but Wasu told me to forget tradition, forget what you were taught and just be bold, it may look great. :lol:

And so that endeth her lesson…..I tiled the wall with the floor tiles.

DSC_0146.JPG

I cannot believe my luck though. I just plumped for a 90mm skirting plinth just because that was the height of the step and now I find that to the underside of the granite top is 998mm. I can fit 3 full tiles plus the 90mm cut perfect.

I had two holes to create, the water service and waste pipe. The water just landed on the edge of a tile so easy but the waste was in the middle of a tile and 50mm diameter.

DSC_0147.JPG

Out with the grinder again, then the nibbler then the bullet grinder and finally a nice snug fit.

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

After fitting the final cuts on the return I started cleaning the grout from yesterdays tiling.

DSC_0151.JPG

I wished I had cleaned if off sooner as it had gone quite hard and the smears were not to easy to remove.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Chapter 14 day 92

Wasus design layout wasn’t to hand yesterday; its not as if its too small to find….well actually…… :roll:

1.jpg

But happy to say I am still following the Architects plan, so lets bat on. :lol:

I removed the original timber head over the shower walls as it was never straight and for some reason one leg needed 20mm trimming from it.

DSC_0152.JPG

Actually I think at the time I set up the heads before completing the tiling up to it so none of it is straight. :?

I can do a bit better I think but now I cannot remove the mortar bed as I will risk damaging the wall.
Timbers trimmed up I have just sat them back on loose for now.

DSC_0155.JPG

I had three tiles to grout in white and the tiles fixed yesterday in the graphite then another hard cleaning session on the floor again.

DSC_0153.JPG

DSC_0154.JPG

After a leisurely tidy up which is what I had planned for today anyway I need to start thinking about fitting timber. First job though is the underside of the downstand beams.

DSC_0156.JPG

The wood was delivered 10 days ago so I need to fit it otherwise we will be getting a call to say the bed is ready and we want to deliver. :roll:

I have ripped two boards down giving 10mm each side to sit a further bead on and tried to scribe the post detail for cutting.

DSC_0157.JPG

Tomorrow will tell whether I have marked it and cut it correct or just butchered it. :lol:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Chapter 14 day 93

A long slow lethargic day for some reason. Maybe because I was putting this job off for ages. Well its two weeks since I had the extra boards delivered and I am aware that any day we get a phone call to say the bed is ready.

I am dreading that day because I need to have the floor varnished before then. And before the varnish I need to stain the cladding and woodwork, and repaint the walls and have the messy work in the bathroom finished.

If I can hold them off for another week I am hopeful to almost get wrapped up next week.

Did I mention the incoming mains cable in the bathroom and the fact we want it taking outside instead?

The sparky came about 10 days ago but we developed the work for him and said at the same time he can fit the shower just to pad out his days work and then that developed into re positioning the full 50m run of cables onto the boundary wall.

Yesterday he came to discuss the work again and measure up for the conduits.

It transpires that our aluminium core cable cannot simply be lowered onto the wall and would need to be exchanged for a copper core cable. :roll:

The reason for dropping the cable is threefold.

Firstly I have had to clear storm damaged tree branches from our supply at least twice this year and I fear anytime could be the one to break the cable.

Secondly the original cable that runs around the new house to the old house is somewhat stretched on the original 3 concrete stanchions which are now in the middle of the perimeter paths after I built the boundary walls on the correct boundary line.

Thirdly having cables hanging like a washing line at the front, then fixed to the house at the side then another washing line at the back is just untidy so sitting them on the boundary wall tidies everything up. :)

The original cable was 16mm so I went to check out the prices for 16mm in copper.

1 (4).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1.jpg

1 (5).jpg

1 (9).jpg

Whoah! :shock: I didn’t appreciate that copper was 7x more expensive. A 100m roll in aluminium was around 650bt but in copper it was 4100bt.

I was looking for 140m so a 100m roll and a 50m roll. The bad news is that a 50m roll wasn’t available at the places I looked.

Wasu suggested she speaks to he sister in Patts. :idea:

I thought it was going to be too much hassle for her with little saving. However as they are electrical contractors she can get us the 140m as a cut length for 30bt/m which is a good saving even taking into account the backhander paid to the bus driver for bringing it to Chiang Mai. :wink:

I really didn’t budget for this electrical work at this time; still this time yesterday it was looking like a 10k job but now possibly 6 or 7k we will see.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Chapter 14 day 93 contd

Todays task as I told Wasu was to fit the timbers to the undersides of the beams. She was happy for me to say this as it’s the final featurework item to be completed in the room itself.

As I say I didn’t really want to do it because it involved twisted old beams, my dodgy plasterboarding and varying widths and levels plus the biggy, scribing the boards around the timber posts.

So no rush, I carefully marked out the trees giving a shallow lip either side to sit on the architrave trim.

Using the jigsaw I followed my drawing but erred on the cautious side and didn’t take out the full amount. You can cut more out after but you cant put it back if its too gappy

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

Well, first board very good fit, some minor adjustments but with my helping hand, two support nails I managed to drive a few small nails into the board and then backed them up with just 3 self tapper screws into the steel angle.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Chapter 14 day 93 contd

The next beam wasn’t so easy. :roll:

I made a mistake actually not selecting the board long enough so it involved two boards. Same again, this time it was an angle at 45 degrees and the tree very close to it.

This one was awkward, my first attempt and cut was a bit off so I decided to make a neater template with plasterboard. At least I could easily sand it away to get a snug fit around the tree.

DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

After what seemed an age though I finally had it in position and this time I decided to hold it up with 10 screws which will need filling at some point.

I only have 4 boards left and I want those for the bathroom and the void between the old and new bathroom door.

I have to make a jamb and head lining somehow so I really should retain the boards I have left. I need one(or 3) also for inside the bathroom to clad the outside face of the shower wall.

Wasu passed a compliment on the tiling to the basin boxing but then suggested I tile the lower part of the exposed column to the right hand side. It was tiled before but I just thought by reducing the width of the boxing the balance would no longer be there.
Anyway, she says tile it, and I have 3 tiles left so why not? but not now.

The final downstand beam is the wide one. I don’t have boards 200mm wide so I always thought I would use up all the teak cladding offcuts.

I can cut them into short pieces and fit 20 of them perpendicular to the beam length. They will be finished with a trim on the outer face like the other beams I have done today and possibly the underside if my cuts are shocking.

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

I should finish the beam tomorrow but the trim will have to wait.

The car in the garage again being repaired! :(

She has managed to rip of the back bumper valance during what she calls an emergency exit from the bank to get back to the spa to address some Chinese couple who had decided not to pay after their treatment. :roll:

Anyway she succeeded in getting the 1200bt from the couple but no doubt we will have to pay indirectly for the 20k baht repair job plus a week without the car somewhere along the insurance line.

I was telling Wasu this morning…it was me who drove the car to the repair garage and was sitting there waiting for her to collect me.
During my 45 minute wait, another male farang drove a small “ladies” car in for exactly the same job and then another lady drove herself in with her Honda SUV; all the back bumper completely off. :roll:

Theres a pattern here…… :lol:

I was simply thinking, I bet there are not many men guilty of all these repairs. Women are actually keeping the repair garages and insurance companies in business; and I say that with no shadow of any chauvinistic doubt. :wink:

Another day over and another day closer.
eyecatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand