"Baan Thai"- My battle against Time and Termites

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: "Baan Thai"- My battle against Time and Termites

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Chapter 14 day 51 contd

In the old house the sparky mentioned that the original light switches and socket outlet for the wifi were not in the best condition just to move onto show.

I agreed, the white boxes had gone cream over time and the switches looked grubby so I decided to dash to Globon How and pick up a brand new set of face fix boxes and new switches and sockets. 145bt well spent, that was a good decision.

I continued sanding away; only 5 posts to do but maybe 30 minutes a post or more. A few were painted up but a quick wire brushing then a turps treatment then sanding has brought them back to their former life. :)

I chaindrited them really to give them an overall similar feel rather than protect against termites. This wood is so hard, I think mai taeng the same as my tree posts I don’t think insects will waste their time on these.

The lads finished at 4.30; all my sockets are wired up and live; the bank of light switches and fan controler has been moved and the gubbins of lighting cables previously fixed to the plasterboard are now what will be behind the plasterboard.

DSC_0847.JPG

DSC_0848.JPG

DSC_0849.JPG

DSC_0850.JPG

Really excellent job, very neat and tidy, I am not easily impressed but I am today.

I admit I could not have done the job as neatly or efficiently and if it took the pros 2 man days then it would have taken me 3 or more to achieve the same and I cant afford that time at the moment being a few days behind schedule already.

Not paid them yet but originally they said 250bt per point which is the same as Wasu brother in law charged us when he came from Patts to wire the whole house.

We had 5 doubles and two new light points so circa 1800bt should be the total. If it goes a bit higher than that for whatever reason then they were worth it.

I spend 1200bt on cables and new sockets, switches boxes and sundries.

Time to do something with those posts now….I mean tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Chapter 14 day 52+53

DSC_0851.JPG

I have 4 posts to fit and I bought 5; a spare for somewhere. The 3x2 posts I am going to fit to each side of the bathroom door frame; for no particular reason other than aesthetics and indulgent design. :)

When finished they should look like an integral part of the main structure.

I fitted these quite quickly; they were already straight and sat flush agin the door frame. Drilled the holes through the hardwood then a larger drill to allow the screw head to sit well behind.

DSC_0852.JPG

DSC_0853.JPG

Easy job only 45 minutes and both were cut, drilled and completed. :)

This was looking good. I only set myself a target of fixing the 4 posts today so well ahead of schedule……

Next the corner post….. and this is where the schedule was at risk. :(

Originally there was no corner post. For some cockeyed reason and general setting out ballsup as with the rest of the old house, they had obviously built the 3 sides of the house and the bathroom extension and realized too late that the window they had planned to fit in this particular location now didn’t fit.

Instead of measuring the opening of 2.2m I think they measured to the outside corner of the house corner post and so they were three inch out.

DSC_0854.JPG

DSC_0855.JPG

So what happened they just nailed the window to the corner posts outer face. Pathetic it was. Not only that, it was leaning by 2 inch.

I was going to fit a new corner post and attach it to the old corner post because that’s the new line I have set out for the doors and wall internally.

I couldn’t fit the post plumb as the existing cladding would have been too short and I didn’t really want to be ripping off 16 boards and fitting new.
however i did need to make a halving joint at the top to carry the purlin end that was originally sitting on the window frame :shock:

DSC_0858.JPG

DSC_0859.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Chapter 14 day 52+53 contd

Fitting that post took long enough as it was; 4 hours I was fannying around with it. There was a slight camber on it so I was trying to plane it off, then I tried the original insitu post to see if that was easier but both were really testing my planer.

Next problem was how to fix them. The posts were 3 inch thick but I only had some spare coach bolts of 3 inch and I needed 4s. I had 3 inch screws but that meant another job drilling through the posts.
Donkey work it was. :(
My drills were lacking and the screws had heads like lead, useless they were. :roll:

At the top I wanted to pull the post back into the existing, only 10mm or so but my G cramps were 5mm short and I couldn’t push it back by hand. :(

Only other option, my big sash cramps; at 1.8m they were very heavy and to lift them up and set at 2m high was also a headache as the holding pin kept falling out! :lol:

DSC_0860.JPG

DSC_0861.JPG

4 hours later the post is fixed and I still had the other corner one to do.

Final post needed just cutting to length then standing in the corner. I could easily fix this from behind. I just used 2 steel angle, drilled the steel drilled the wood.

DSC_0862.JPG

DSC_0863.JPG

That post was completed in 10 minutes!
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Chapter 14 day 52+53 contd

I had hoped to steal a march on the cladding at the back today but I needed to do a few errands and then realised I still needed to set up a few more pieces of metal stud rails. If I can fix more metal rails then I can use smaller screws into the rails rather than the main steels.

DSC_0864.JPG

DSC_0865.JPG

That task was followed by me retrieving the old cladding that was pulled off when we did the steelwork. It was painted/stained quite dark so I thought I would get the sander on it and see what it looks like.

DSC_0866.JPG

DSC_0867.JPG

I was very surprised and happy to find out that it was teak and sanded down it looks like the rest of the cladding I just bought.
Of course I wanted to play with the old cladding on the wall. But sanding it was a chore. Holding the sander up in the air brought tears to my eyes as well as a constant cloud of sawdust.

DSC_0868.JPG

DSC_0869.JPG

The big sander has its limitations. It cannot sand these boards, fitted and it doesn’t get into the corners.

Plan B is the flap wheel. A simple drill attachment and I can steer it into the corners and remove all the stain just like a kid colouring in a river

I still had to use the grit paper and block and do a lot by hand though but again, we have a nice golden teak skin underneath.

That made me look at the rest, the set of doors and the cladding at the front. I will have to do it, it’s a 2 day job I think based on how long it took me to sand down 1m2 today.

Maybe tomorrow I will refix some of the old boards. Looking forward to seeing more progress.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Chapter 14 day 54

I had one of those “just look what I did today” days.

Having prepared some of the teak boards already I was in for a significant progress day.

But first; I had to take Wasu to work early. This afternoon she is flying to Phuket. Its an annual get together she does almost every year where she meets up with the staff that she worked with early in her career, so 10-15 years ago.

She will be away for 4 or 5 days so it looks like I have my old spa job back, shopping and keeping the cash till with sufficient change. My main secret job there has been taken off me, and I don’t care…..if you do a job bad enough, the idea is that you don’t get asked to do it again. And I don’t mind conceding when it comes to ironing!! :wink:

Back home my task is to get the cladding fixed around the patio door. I realized soon enough that the old window dado studwork was sitting on the original floorboards and some of it had been eaten slightly so had furrows weaving about.

I also made a mistake when I was trying to tell the patio door man that I wanted a low profile sill on this door to prevent tripping. Of course with a 25mm upstand on the inside meant the outside was barely 5mm. Great really, had my old floorboards been good enough to clean up and stain but I think they are not.

So, before the first cladding board can be fitted I need to fit a new cover sill.

I found the thinnest cladding boards I had and ripped it down to 70mm. a slight new overhang which I then under propped with a another piece of the ripped board.

DSC_0870.JPG

DSC_0871.JPG

DSC_0872.JPG

After notching around the doorframe profile I just nailed it down and started on the cladding.

DSC_0874.JPG

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0876.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Chapter 14 day 54 contd

Cladding was slow, because the corner post was slightly leaning each so board was cut individually and all 16 boards varied between 280mm and 290mm.
Then drilling, countersinking, drilling the steel, and driving in the thunderpoint screws.

Most of my screws were hidden, one or two extra ones were needed in places where some boards were curling or a bit loose.

All the cladding rails I fitted yesterday was a waste of time because I thought I had a couple of lengths left to run down vertically. I didn’t, :( well I needed them for the door head so changed back to fitting the boards direct to the steel.

The right side was a much quicker job as all the boards were exactly 180mm and I had a thin metal rail at one side to fix to.

DSC_0877.JPG

The steel frame on the toilet wall was the next to be clad.

I just needed one old board so I found a rubbish one and was lucky in that I simply needed to rip 25mm off it for the return, the rest fitted flush and was a perfect fit.

DSC_0882.JPG

DSC_0883.JPG

DSC_0884.JPG

With my day drawing to a close I knew I couldn’t quite finish. The last job was to fit two boards over the door head but to do that I had to fit some extra metal rails.

DSC_0878.JPG

DSC_0879.JPG

Two infact to allow the boards to sit over the patio frame. It was a bit of buggeration but necessary and in the end and with some difficulty holding the thing I did get one board fitted.

DSC_0880.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Chapter 14 day 54 contd

The second and final board also needed some pre requisite work and that was a couple of timber noggins that were acting as spacers between the roof rafters. The originals had been removed as they were eaten away by the termites.

I didn’t have any 3x2 timbers long enough. I needed 58cm and I had a few in the 52cm region.

DSC_0885.JPG

I only needed one so I decided to use one of the old 2x2 hardwood treads that I removed from the very original old staircase. I knew they would come in useful one day. :wink:

Cut to length, hammered in, drilled and nailed and job done.

DSC_0886.JPG

DSC_0887.JPG

DSC_0888.JPG

DSC_0889.JPG

With that, the heavens opened and it was time for me to enjoy a very late beer.

Wasu had already arrived in Phuket and reported that the weather was exactly the same as here; pissing down. :lol: :lol:

I think she was heading to Khao Lak for the night before coming back to meet up with her old colleagues at the Mai Khao Dream hotel; a hotel she left to start a Helluva'life in Chiang Mai with me. :lol:

Still one board to fit tomorrow but I stand back now and feel I am starting to put this place back together.

Very happy with the progress today; despite being a week behind schedule at the moment.

My target is my birthday which is in 4 weeks but the deadline for my sons arrival is 7 weeks
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Chapter 14 day 55

I thought today would be relaxing with no thinking or worrying but instead I have ended up with what I think is repetitive strain injury on my elbow. :(

I just had one board to fit over the patio door but it was a tapered board because the roof slopes and not where I want it to slope. :wink:

1 (4).jpg

I then cleaned up the final long board to replace over the old door head.

DSC_0890.JPG

1 (5).jpg

It was playtime now….., I set about dedicating myself to sanding the rest of the old woodwork down. After cleaning up the few boards adjacent to the new corner post with my drill attached flapper wheel I have bought a bigger, better 100mm grinding flapper wheel to use with the grinder.

DSC_0892.JPG

DSC_0893.JPG

DSC_0894.JPG

DSC_0896.JPG

Its great and really makes easy work of stripping off all the paint and stain back to the original wood.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Chapter 14 day 55 contd

Again I was very happy to see teak being exposed, both the windows and the cladding and even the door are teak so at the very least I know I can get some close similarity when I stain it up.

I don’t want the teak to be as dark as the walnut stain plus the chaindrite that I did all the new house woodwork so I will do an initial chaindrite light brown and then run over it again with the clear.

A good three quarters of a day I was with the grinder, 45 minutes at a time then a 10 minute break. I had a mask on but everywhere was covered with sawdust.

DSC_0897.JPG

DSC_0898.JPG

The windows still need the small flap wheel to get into the corners as does the cladding but I have done a fair bit and it looks ok for now.

DSC_0900.JPG

DSC_0902.JPG

I finally made a start on the double set of doors. These doors were really old and well worn and probably stained up at least 3 times, well I have done them twice.

DSC_0903.JPG

On completion of 6 hours sanding I am now finding my hand is shaking uncontrollably and I cannot hold a fork properly. :cry:

I hope these spasms dissipate by tomorrow as I still have the doors to do, possibly 2 hours to clean them down.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Chapter 14 day 56

:lol: :lol: , 2 hours indeed. :roll:

DSC_0904.JPG

Sanding those doors down turned into 4 hours. :(
I changed the flap wheel for a newer 80 grit since these doors looked rather weathered with plenty of weathered furrows in the surface and initially I really motored cleaning all the 12 panels in an hour.

The door stiles and frame was easy enough albeit a bit slower than anticipated but I knew the problem would be the recess around the door panels. It was about an inch wide and I had the flap wheel attachment for the drill to hopefully sort that out.

DSC_0905.JPG

So here is the grinder flap wheel which makes light work of sanding however compared to the belt sander the flap wheel gives the wood a hammered surface which doesn’t matter because no one will ever be caressing it.

DSC_0907.JPG

So for the finale, the drill flap wheel. :)

Hmm, it doesn’t fit; :cry: it’s a tad too wide and although I looked for a narrower one at Global, they had about 12 hooks with packets of all exactly the same size just to make the shelves look full!

Well I cant use the grinder that’s a given so it looks like I have to sand it by hand…. :(

And that’s why I spent 2 hours longer than I anticipated.

Final job of the day was to give all the cleaned up woodwork a coat of chaindrite. The stain will soak in and leave everything with a similar tone, but its whether to leave it like that or not.

DSC_0909.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0911.JPG

I have noticed the cladding I fitted a month ago is still looking good except for the bottom two boards. It had been getting damp through splashbacks off the metal canopy and it looks like it has faded a bit. Maybe this elevation only I can give it the clear deckstain as a water repellant if nothing else.

Lots a lots of sawdust everywhere…and Wasu returns from her Phuket trip tomorrow. :)

I think the priority tomorrow is to do some tidying up otherwise itll be earache for me. :roll:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Chapter 14 day 57

The thought of Wasu returning today has thrown me out of kilter.

I really wasn’t focused to do anything because I knew I had to go and fill the fridge up and spend some time sweeping the sawdust from everywhere.

Maybe its just a wave of depression after checking my building programme and seeing I am already a good week behind. :(

I did say to Wasu not too long ago I would finish by my birthday which is now only 4 weeks away and I can see I don’t have a cat in hells chance of doing that at the rate I am going at. :(

So after a good tidy up, what did I do?……create even more sawdust inside the house than there was before I swept up this morning… :lol:

First task I decided to progress the aircon wiring. The flexi pipe I ran through wasn’t a good idea as it wasn’t big enough for the cables.

Actually with a VAF sheathed twin cable you don’t need a conduit but I realised that the twin plus the earth could only easily be pushed through about a metre and then it was bending and stuck.

I pulled the flexi back out and used only a short length of it to protect the sheathing as it came around some sharp pieces of steelwork.
I taped the twin together with the earth wire and simply fed it it along the back of the steelwork and outside for the condenser box connection.

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0915.JPG

At this point it was evident I didn’t have enough cable to take a feed back to the internal unit, even the old cables I salvaged had been cut into 1.5m pieces and I really don’t want to be joining bits together.

Instead I did use a conduit and fed it from outside to the internal box position.

DSC_0914.JPG

It was always my understanding that a standard L,N,E would be taken from box to box but they have an extra cable, the communicating cable to make 4.

Of course you ask here and its 2 plus the extra 1, they have no conception of an earth cable.

With a flexi conduit I can fit three separate cables in but just thinking about adding another flexi and drawstring to carry the communication wire.

I was too lazy to get changed and venture out for just 5m of cables in different colours so I started on the dummy beam.

The original bottom chord of the truss thankfully wasn’t on the termites menu and appears to have escaped unscathed but it was just plasterboarded over before.

What I intend to do is to make the beam proud of the plasterboard, in other words it will look like the real roof truss is on show. A bit of character and style for the old house.

I am going to achieve this in a similar fashion to how I created the dummy timber trusses in the new house, and that’s to re use some of the spare floorboards. They are about 12/16mm thick so that’s perfect for plasterboard.

I found one about the same depth as the real truss but I would set it a shade higher so the plasterboaurd can still attach to the original chord.

The board I selected had actually been on the deck at the back before I concreted it, it was all stained up but I wanted it taking back to bare.

A bit of notching out at both ends and around the centre strut and it was just nailed to the existing truss.

DSC_0916.JPG

DSC_0917.JPG

The centre strut was already exposed and painted up with 6 layers of paint and stain but the grinder made short work of it and soon I had new timbers ready for the chaindrite treatment.

DSC_0918.JPG

Another job done but a more complicated task awaits me at the opposite side.

I decided to do something similar on this side, one chord and one centre strut which the aircon will sit against.

However due to the windows leaning by 50mm, the reason I fitted some sills the other day; I also need to do the same at the window head and make a head reveal, then side reveals, then close in besides the wardrobe and block the window up.

DSC_0920.JPG

What looked like a simple nail on the new dummy beam will actually be almost the last job of 6 which I need to do first; certainly another full days job ahead of me just righting this mess. :roll:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Chapter 14 day 58

Another long busy day with a bit to show for it, but its not taken anything off my programme; infact its added a day because I hadn’t anticipated doing this lot. :roll:

The tasks completed today was to firstly infill beside the wardrobe. I need to close out the window which can still be seen, with a piece of wood the height of the doorframe but tapering by 50mm because the windows are leaning.

Included in that piece of tapered timber I need to notch out for the window head and the window sills I made the other day.

The timber, like everything else will be a salvaged spare floorboard, ripped down, sanded made to fit.

DSC_0921.JPG

DSC_0922.JPG

DSC_0923.JPG

Next task to finish the corner. Using the off cut that I ripped down I can reuse it to close out the window frame and the glass. Not bad, no one will ever know.

DSC_0924.JPG

DSC_0925.JPG

DSC_0926.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Chapter 14 day 58 contd

The leaning window means I have to bring out the window head by 60mm so that if and when we fit curtains, they will at least hang vertically and neatly glide in line with the new window sill plus it will give us a fixing point for a curtain rail.

Same procedure; in that an old floorboard will be ripped into a 100mm wide strip. I need it to overhand the window 60mm and at the same time to get a decent fixing into the existing window head I have to cut out to accommodate the existing timber studs.

DSC_0928.JPG

DSC_0929.JPG

DSC_0930.JPG

DSC_0931.JPG

DSC_0932.JPG

DSC_0934.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Chapter 14 day 58 contd

Now we are onto the presentation piece, another dummy beam. I want to create a dummy king post the same as what I did yesterday by simply fixing it onto the existing studwork.

These floorboards are coming in very useful and I am glad I had a dozen left over.
Cut to length and sanded down again and with difficulty managed to get in in position and g clamped. Drilled and nailed and ready for the post.

DSC_0935.JPG

But not before I set up some more metal channels rails. If the post is fixed first I will have a promprem fitting the plasterboard so a few metal rails were needed first.

DSC_0936.JPG

Finally the dummy post was fixed and all my handywork was chaindrited.

DSC_0937.JPG

Tomorrow I have the patio door man returning.
I am kicking myself now for taking for granted that everything was ok. I tested it of course, yes it was sliding and the door locked but I never tested locking both doors.

I had noticed the secondary door wasn’t locking. The catch went up but a gentle tap and it came loose and I thought it was the catch that needed a slight adjustment.

I slackened it and adjusted it, who knows I probably re set it inexactly the same position but I managed to get it locked.
I then tried the main door and it wouldnt even close up to the catch. If the other door isn’t locked the main door will lock.

I have looked at it and I know the problem. Its what you call a contrators f..up. I am quite certain they have made one of the doors or both the doors 5mm short on the width.

Our house door is perfect, both reveals are hit and the doors overlap in the middle perfectly. They have made these two doors about 5mm short. The catch could be packed out I suppose but its not right.

Wasu called him today to mention it. No doubt after 3 weeks the blame will end up on me for fixing my cladding boards.

Well no way Jose he fixed his frame to my steel opening, he measured it and he fitted it.

She keeps asking whats next and after a short discussion she ends up telling me that after her 4 day trip she cant see what I have been doing whilst she was away. :shock:

Well that’s enough to set anyone on the defence. I told her a job takes as long it takes and apart from a half day sorting out the bank stuff for the spa I have made good progress.

She seems to forget about all the pictures I sent her each day which she responded with a “wow well done”

Women! :roll:
eyecatcher

Previous

Return to Life in Thailand