House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby schuimpge » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 am

eyecatcher wrote:no, your suggestion is not too late, thanks for that idea. I have had a few problems with leaks which will be documented but as I write 10 weeks on I have an empty pond awaiting my next idea...which you may have given me.

Well, in that case:
IMG_7443.jpg

IMG_7444.jpg

Here's the paint I used. 2 layers of it will create a very strong and waterproof layer. It's reflective and glossy as hell, need sunglasses once it's dry and hardened.
It's easy to clean, but if you really get fish in, then you don't need to clean at all if you add some sucker-fish. All they do is going over bottom and walls like a sponge..They'll clean up any algae they can find. Quite funny when you got a real dirty fish tank/pond and you add them the first time. They'll start somewhere and initially you see tracks of clear glass all over the tank showing where they've been.

As for the fish itself, forget gold-fish/koi and other large fish. Too shallow and the cats will have them finished in no-time while the surviving ones will always hide behind your water feature. Best would be just small stuff like guppies, maybe some angelfish or other small stuff.
You might have to get a filter connected as well, but with small fish like guppies and having potted water-plants in there, likely the plants will have enough capacity to take care of the fish-waste. Most important is that you let the water mature for at least a week or two (with plants). Then start adding some small fish, but not too many first.

Cheers,
Luc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schuimpge

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Shrimper
Thanks for the photos of the paint product, that would be much easier than tiling it for sure.

I had some bottom feeders in our spa pond, introduced about 4 together with the guppies 6 years ago only about 50mm long. After a year a couple disappeared and the other two didnt make themselves seen very often.

After another year we thought they had gone, taken by cats or something or jumped out during a downpour....but then one day we spotted this monster in our pond (I told this tale in my building story with photos)

We thought someone had dumped their fish in our pond but realised it was our bottom feeder,it had been hiding for a year; now nearly 400mm long and as thick as my arm.
But as much as they clean, they poo it out the same so they dont do a good job :(
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Chapter 13 day 38

After plan A and plan B on my water feature design, both designs are not sitting well with me. :?

The second design I removed about three of the posts to lighten it up a bit but the water wasn’t falling right and wouldn’t do without me trotting off to buy a bag of broken slates.

Wasu had seen plan A design the other day and I could see she was itching to say something…..

“what?”

“did you not think about my idea that I tried to draw?”

“yes of course”

“No you didn’t, you don’t listen to me”

She had a seen a pre maid water feature at the market that trickled water along its length and dropped into the water

“You can make a bridge by putting this beam across the middle and it would be good if you can cut out a channel” :)

Well of course I liked the channel idea so used it to create my plan B but I admit I didn’t really think about her bridge idea.

After plan B looking crap I set about trying to evolve Wasus design. I propped up the beam on square blocks, and tested the channel for water flow and it wasn’t a bad start.

DSC_1091.JPG

Today this idea developed further. I shortened the beam and then added a vertical post prop to take out some springiness in the steel floor and to incorporate it within the water feature.

DSC_1089.JPG

The square tree posts I replaced with some cut round posts to carry the bridge.

A few random posts set out at the bottom to create some water splash, and movement and of course some “art”.

DSC_1090.JPG

DSC_1092.JPG

Finally a small section post just sitting on the shelf at the back maybe to allow plant pots to sit on there in future.

With the timber feature almost there I had made a decision on the number of bubbling planters. It was always going to be 3 or 4. odd numbers always best for everything……so I decided on two! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Chapter 13 day 38 contd

Two because I don’t want them taking attention away from the timbers. Two because less is more, two because it will be 400bt cheaper than three.

I set up the pipe work for the two bubblers and also to the bridge. I honestly thought the pump I had bought would be far too strong. I have only laid about 8m of pipes including three upstand risers but the pump seemed capable of a 12m height!!!! Yes maybe through a straw!!
DSC_1094.JPG

DSC_1098.JPG

DSC_1099.JPG

DSC_1102.JPG

The result of losing two bubblers meant quite a lot of extra blue pipefitting leftover. :roll:

The bubbler pots you see everywhere have a pipe running up the middle and you have to silicone seal where the pipe penetrates the pot at the bottom. With that in mind I thought it would be better to have the connection onto the supply pipe as a threaded “T” or “90”,so if I needed to remove the pot then I can simply turn the whole thing anticlockwise and off it comes without breaking the silicone seal.(an idea that I have since found impossible) :lol:

So pipework all set up and its that usual problem of how to connect onto the pump. They never have a fittings to make it easy. I have learned with the crappy way and number of times I have to remove that spa pump to clean it out that it should have a flexi pipe.

With the pump head fitting in hand and some half inch blue I headed off to the local yard to get some plastic hosepipe. The 1 inch fitted the pump nicely but the blue pipe was as slack as a wizards sleeve. The answer…adjustable rings… sorted :)

DSC_1103.JPG

I just bought 1m of hosepipe and trimmed it slightly to get an un kinked fitting. My idea is that I can get the pump out easily by pulling off the flexi pipe without disrupting any of the rigid blue.

A couple of ball valves fitted one to the main flow and one to the bridge so I could turn the flow down as reqiuired.

DSC_1106.JPG

Right lets test it……… after a quick clean out of wood shavings and sand I started to fill the pond and when the sump was well and truly filled I plugged in the pump. :)

DSC_1109.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:46 pm

Chapter 13 day 38 contd

Hmm! well that’s not as powerful as I thought. I needed both my ball valves fully open and the water was only bubbling over my 600mm vertical risers by an inch. :?
I really preferred a bit more coming out on the bridge but its fine I think.

DSC_1110.JPG

DSC_1111.JPG

If I shortened the other two pipes a little bit when I get the pots it may improve but overall its what I hoped for so happy for now. :)

You tend to forget that wood floats so I was a bit upset to see one of my small brick hiding chumps float away exposing a brick. I just hope my other timbers are too heavy to be lifted. I suppose when they get saturated that will help.

I cant finish this tomorrow because we are going to Phanom Phrai. Its where Wasus parents live and its also the big rocket festival weekend (bang fai). We have been twice before, 3 and 5 years ago and its always a spectacle, especially as I expect to be one of the very few farang there.

So it’s a bus ride for us then three full days with the in laws. Grin and bear it comes to mind. :roll:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Chapter 13 day 39

14 hours on a bus with an aircon set on freezing, one free half a bottle of water, a packet of 6 macaroon biscuits and a blanket. :(
No pillows, the tv blasting out Hollywood movies with the same old voice over actor playing all the parts and the constant thought of “I hope this driver hasn’t been drinking” :?

Well in hindsight that was better than the following three days of boredom living on a farm with it seems 4 hours entertainment set aside for me….the parade and the rocket festival.

DSC_1116.JPG

After our bus ride through the night setting off at 4pm and arriving in Yasothon at 6am we were collected by Wasus brother in law in some version of a silver tour van but without the middle two rows of seats.

The void had been turned into a playground for their son and the back seat was presently occupied by her father who after a few days with a sore throat, I thought it wasn’t the best idea for him to come and spew his germs all over his guests. :(

We had a 50 minutes journey via Phanom Phrai and into the back of beyond; a place where no farangs live (actually there was one who I met two years ago, but whether he is still there I don’t know) only locals who tend fields of rice, take their cows out for walks and then to the local Bull once a year for a good seeing to. :wink:

There are few shops but they are there mainly to sell cooking oil, ice creams and sweets and alcohol.

I have been to the family house about 6 times; I can remember my wedding and a sisters wedding and two rocket festivals but all my visits have been torture.

I don’t speak their Isaan dialect, even my attempts to speak Thai are not even understood and of course no one speaks a word of English. So communication is fun to begin with, lots of laughs, sign language, drawing on a paper but I cant keep that up and as usual if there is no beer about I slide off somewhere to wander around the 37 rai of fields or go and try and communicate with the cows. :roll:

DSC_1123.JPG

DSC_1118.JPG

DSC_1127.JPG

DSC_1129.JPG

DSC_1133.JPG

DSC_1135.JPG

I went this time for two reasons; the main reason is that Wasu has said in the past….every time we have a major fallout “you don’t like my family do you, you never want to go” so I wanted to show her that I will support her and be a pleasant son in law.....but everything she said is true but you cant admit it can you?

The other reason is that they had a couple of events planned, or so I thought.

It was their biannual house ceremony when they invite 7 monks to chant and sit in front of the biggest platefuls of prepared food, lots of fanta and a bog roll apiece!

That; I can tell you is the biggest waste of time and money I saw. I reckon they spent 10k getting those monks in who managed to eat knack all in the 45 minutes they were there.

Granted, their singing and chanting is nice and it sends you off to sleep quickstix.

The other events were the bang fai weekend parade and rocket festival something I was looking forward to. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Chapter 13 day 39 contd

So having arrived at 6am the monks were due around 10am as were around thirty invited locals and neighbours. A time for them to dress up and put on their finest and donate yet more money to some temple in return for a life exactly the same as it has been for donkeys years.

DSC_1161.JPG

DSC_1164.JPG

DSC_1170.JPG

I thought the only way I can get through this weekend is to console myself in some beer so when we approached the towns market Wasu asked me if I wanted a box a beer. :)

Silly question so out came her palm
“well give me some money then”

I managed to get one bottle out of my 12 beers, the rest were sort of just offered…in return the offer I got was food.
:lol: :lol: , they call it food I assume but I didn’t recognize it as that and basically I lost weight over the few days. :roll:

"Whats this?"

DSC_1137.JPG

DSC_1138.JPG

"Stir fry eels……..ants eggs………chicken livers"…….local this, local that and everything served with 750 flies. :(

Flies, flies everywhere flies it was disgusting.

One morning someone must have found two pieces of fly paper about A4 size and put them on the table with the food. In half an hour both papers were completely full of stuck black flies; there wasn’t room for any more…hundreds.

DSC_0135.JPG

By lunchtime there was a new colony of 1000 flies come to see whats going on; no fly paper left.

There were about 13 family members at the house; 6 had come from Pattaya, me and Wasu and already there were mum and dad and sister and two nieces it seemed if they were not preparing or cooking the next meal then they would be washing up.

DSC_1171.JPG

Washing up is done outside in a big blue plastic bowl, and a hosepipe sitting on a concrete slab.

I helped once and couldn’t even do that right but I wasn’t keen on sitting amongst a colony of giant red ants that had taken over from the flies inside the dirty dishes. :?

I was pushing for a trip into the town to see the parade; anything but stay at the house. I couldn’t even use my phone; there was no internet and my phone is not geared up to me spending on 4g wifi or whatever its called.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:52 pm

Chapter 13 day 39 contd

Me and Wasu borrowed a family scooter and rode the 10km through the potholed field roads until we reached the town.

This was a big event for the town; the biggest I guess with all the schools being closed today because a lot of the school children were taking part in the dancing parades.

Lots of stages set up with bands playing, provocative top totty twerking their arses and everyone pissed up.

DSC_1195.JPG

DSC_1197.JPG

DSC_1198.JPG

DSC_1205.JPG

DSC_1208.JPG

DSC_1210.JPG

DSC_1215.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Chapter 13 day 39 contd

DSC_1217.JPG

DSC_1219.JPG

DSC_1221.JPG

DSC_1224.JPG

DSC_1227.JPG

DSC_1228.JPG

DSC_1230.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Chapter 13 day 39 contd

The parade consisted of several very long floats, so beautifully crafted, several groups of traditional Isaan dancing girls and boys. Lots and lots of weird cross dressers, ladyboys and what looked like really old ladyboy slappers.

I couldn’t really tell how much of it was over played and how much of it was real but by God there were some of the ugliest trannies I have ever seen.

DSC_1232.JPG

DSC_1234.JPG

DSC_1236.JPG

DSC_1238.JPG

DSC_1239.JPG

DSC_1247.JPG

DSC_1249.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Chapter 13 day 39 contd

DSC_1250.JPG

DSC_1251.JPG

DSC_1252.JPG

DSC_1254.JPG

DSC_1255.JPG

DSC_1257.JPG

DSC_1260.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Chapter 13 day 39 contd

DSC_1262.JPG

DSC_1266.JPG

DSC_1268.JPG

You can get so bored trying to laugh at the efforts of the ladyboys, half a dozen is a novelty, but a hundred and you lose interest.
So we decided to retreat.

On the way back we called in at Wasus aunts house. She has lived in the same house since Wasu was a teenager. It really doesn’t look like it could stay up for over twenty years.

DSC_1272.JPG

They make the clay cooking pots you see everywhere loaded up with charcoal.

This is their pottery set up

DSC_1273.JPG

DSC_1274.JPG

DSC_1275.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Chapter 13 day 40

Todays the rocket day…..in Thai its known as the Bun Bang Fai

This rocket festival is an ancient local festival that has been carried out continuously till modern times. Its widely celebrated in several towns in the Yasothon and Roi Et districts and is associated with traditional beliefs in the supernatural powers that help promote the production of rice crops for the coming planting season.

Like several other Thai festivals, Buddhist monks are in attendance in abundance for the ceremony. The rockets, launch towers and other decorations for this event are prepared for several weeks before the actual event. An average rocket is some nine to ten metres in length and carries approx 20-25kg of gun powder. :shock:

On rocket day, rockets are paraded to the launch site. Villagers dress in colorful traditional costumes, playing, teasing and dancing, to accompany the procession. The climax of the festival is the launch time. The rockets are fired from their launch towers one after another every 60 seconds for most of the day. :)

The tradition of these giant home made modes of rockets is that they are launched as a symbol and gesture to Buddha for the sake of good rainy season. In addition to the rockets' launching, street parades, street theaters, performances of folklore bands and a beauty queen contest take place. Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival is an unforgettable authentic experience for all the participants. :D

After what seemed like a first full day of boredom and depression, feeling isolated and starving this was a chance to make amends.

However Wasu told me that she didn’t want to go. :( Admittedly it’s a boys thing; rockets, noise,fire, danger and she wanted no part of it except that she would accompany me and possibly then leave me there. :?

As it transpired we were already in a long queue of traffic through the narrow sois with still 1km to go to reach the epicentre.
We just kept riding on the bike to find a carpark, the further in we went the more difficult it was for her to get out so with an 800m walk we trudged there together.

DSC_1285.JPG

DSC_1286.JPG

The noise already was frightening. If you have ever heard a jet fighter fly over you at mach 1 with afterburners then I can say that’s pretty close to the sound of those rockets launching.

I was hot footing it then realising I had left Wasu behind, I couldnt wait to get there. :)

Wasu wasn’t interested in seeing any of them and decided to park herself under the trees for 2 hours with about 100 other abandoned wives and girlfriends. :lol: :lol:

I was going to the front line, to the only line of defence the sand bunker which was set at about 20m away from the arse end of every rocket.

DSC_1288.JPG

It seemed a bit odd that the only other people up against the sand bunker were the safety officials with the red and green flags.

DSC_1290.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Chapter 13 day 40 contd

(one of those rare times a video will really give you the buzz...but cannot upload mine here sorry??)

The rockets each made by local teams were built from a 4m length of blue water pipe with a 6m bamboo tail strapped to it.

The inside of the pipe was packed with 25kg of gunpowder though watching the 6 men struggling try to carry them, I suspected they were weighing nearer to 125kg.

The teams were clearly identified wearing their own coloured tops and it took upto 16 of them to climb the towers, straighten them up and position them and strap them.
They were strapping them with a mixture of twine creepers and old rags which the flames eventually (like 0.1 secs) burn through to release the rocket.

In my 90 minutes these big rockets were being let off every 60 seconds and a post report said that over 1000 rockets were launched in the day; many of course being the smaller 2m baby rockets.

CSC_0136.JPG

CSC_0137.JPG

CSC_0138.JPG

CSC_0139.JPG

CSC_0140.JPG

CSC_0141.JPG

CSC_0142.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:46 pm

eyecatcher wrote:Chapter 13 day 40 contd
(one of those rare times a video will really give you the buzz...but cannot upload mine here sorry??)

Standard practice is to upload the video to YouTube then post a link here, as with my security grill video.
Sometimewoodworker

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand