House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Chapter 13 day 29 contd

DSC_0916.JPG

DSC_0945.JPG

DSC_0946.JPG

CSC_0955.JPG

CSC_0957.JPG

CSC_0961.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Chapter 13 day 30 Krabi trip

It’s a long time since I have spent a night in an air conditioned bedroom, in fact I cant even remember but It was great. :)

You can actually sleep well unlike in a fan room. I have convinced myself that you get used to not having aircon but last night made me realise I have been kidding myself.

Even Wasu has mentioned twice that we should get an aircon fitted in our bedroom at home….20k baht has other priorities though at the moment.

This morning Wasu had already done her research and said she wanted to go to Wat Tham Suea also know as the Tiger temple in Krabi.

It was a 22km bike ride to get there but yes it was worth it. I suppose the big feature after the beautiful tiger temple are the 1200 steps to climb up the mountain to yet another temple at the top with no doubt a fantastic view.

First stop was the temple built inside the rock.

DSC_0969.JPG

DSC_0974.JPG

DSC_0977.JPG

DSC_0980.JPG

DSC_0981.JPG

DSC_0983.JPG

DSC_0979.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Chapter 13 day 30 contd

I had said to Wasu beforehand that she couldn’t do 1200 steps, and that’s guaranteed. Despite being an experienced Doi Suthep hill walker with over 100 conquests in one year I wasn’t even prepared for what we would experience. :shock:

DSC_0991.JPG

DSC_0992.JPG

There were dozens of straight flights of 20-30 steps each changing direction from the last but each with varying step sizes. Some treads were 300mm long with a 75mm rise like a stroll in the park, then some were 200mm and 200mm and then one flight had treads as wide as my 5 fingers with a rise of 250mm :shock:

DSC_0994.JPG

DSC_0995.JPG

They were steeper than a leaning ladder and bloody dangerous at that. There were handrails at waist height, and there were some at my knee height.

DSC_0997.JPG

DSC_0998.JPG

DSC_0999.JPG

We caught up to several people by the 200th step. Many coming back down, many sitting simply exhausted and it was clear there wouldn’t be many people if any at the top.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:32 pm

chapter 13 day 30 contd

DSC_1000.JPG

DSC_1001.JPG

DSC_1002.JPG

Wasu managed to get to step 403 and this was after at least 30 minutes. She had had enough and we had to get back to check out of the hotel by midday so we didn’t have time. I would have loved to continue but for what Wat? A view to take a photo.

We headed back down which was in places more scary than going up. Wasu was clinging onto the handrail all the way it was so dangerous. :(

DSC_1004.JPG

DSC_1006.JPG

DSC_1007.JPG

DSC_1011.JPG

Back on terra firma we headed back for a final 30 minutes in the pool before checking out, a beer lunch and then our trip back to the airport. :)

I really enjoyed the trip; we both needed that time to chill and actually spend time with each other. Our relationship was, as documented hanging by a thread together with some other changes in our lifestyle we are starting all over again.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Chapter 13 day 31

After a great little trip away I am keen to complete the rendering to the pond walls. I just have the internal faces to do and should get them finished today.

The weather has been quite cool and very wet so rendering is going to be an easier task today.

1.jpg

I have purposely left all the internal faces to the end because I want to mix latex into the render to improve the waterproofing as well as increase the bond onto the wall. I am not particularly concerned about it de bonding mainly to try and seal the render.

DSC_1040.JPG

I am quite sure I will tile the bottom but the sides depend on whether I have any leaks.

The channels I have built at 500mm wide were a bit awkward being under the staircase but the main pond area was simple enough. The sump was also completed.

1 (1).jpg

1 (2).jpg

1 (3).jpg

I called at the flower market today really to look at the pottery for the fountain bubblers and some potential pavers. There are some really nice features but I think they need the right place and setting.

I think I will go for simplicity because its only a small pond maybe 4 rectangular pots and then create a timber waterfall feature at the back.

DSC_1034.JPG

DSC_1031.JPG

Whilst out I picked up some polythene for the concrete base. I don’t want all my concreting water to disappear and I certainly don’t want my pond water to disappear so I will play with that tomorrow. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Chapter 13 day 32

A straightforward task to achieve today and that’s to prepare the pond base for the concrete and to go and organise the sand and gravel for delivery.

The other two mediocre tasks I have to do is the get a new inner tube for my bike which has a slow puncture….having to blow the damn thing up every other day and also I haven’t had my bike serviced for 8k kms so its long overdue it standard 4k. :(

First stop just along the lane to a tyre repair shop. I asked the man to replace the inner tube. He removed the old one and rather than show me a puncture hole he showed me what looked like a collapsing of the tyre lining like someone had tried to force their finger right through it???? :shock:

I am sure there is a reason for this but I can only imagine it was the previous cheap Chinese inner tube with an inconsistent lining thickness and as I have blown it up maybe the tyre wall pressure couldn’t hold in the air. I remember telling everyone at the time “new tyre and inner tube for 200bt all in, can you believe it” :)

I am just making a guess that fits of course…it could also be a high speed blowout….I mean going around a corner at 120kmph isn’t recommended is it? :wink:
Job done; cost 150bt

Next stop the Yamaha garage for a service. It just done 60k now and I bought it Dec 2011 so its 5.5 years old.

Prior to that I was renting the same bike for 9 months at 3000baht a month. I reckoned if I rented the bike for 18 months I would have paid effectively the full value of the bike. :)

So I bought a new one for 54k baht. I also thought it would be different to have my own personal number plate and so I had a choice but I would have to pay extra for it.

I asked the girl if I could have 007 :)

“oh mai dai….” :(

“why not?”

“Cannot have 00 it not a number”

“Oh ok….then can I have 999?” :)

“hahaha, I am sorry sir but this number is too expensive, one million baht” :(

“Why”

“Well number 9 is lucky number for Thai people”

“How about number 9” :)

“No sorry already all the number 9 are used in the Changmai and Lampang and Chiang Rai areas”

“Ok I will have the most expensive English number…..number 1” :)

“Dai dai…..but it also expensive 500baht!” :D

“Ok I will treat myself”

Of course it was at this time December 11/January 12 that we were all being told the number plate registration factory in Bangkok was flooded out after the rain so myself like hundreds of other new bike and car owners were literally waiting for 3 or 4 months for a registration number.

Getting a bike serviced is impossible if you don’t speak Thai. Despite the fact that the Yamaha garages have service centre emblazoned across the garage fascia. They don’t understand the word service.

I can attempt it by saying change oil, change air filter, check brakes but that’s what you get…..change oil and air filter and knack all else

Anyway 45 minutes wait and a bill for 320bt

I ordered my sand and gravel on the way back home.
My calculations advised I needed 12 bags of stone and 6 bags of sand, no doubt I have over ordered but it will never go to waste that’s for sure.

So in preparation for my heavy mixing day I had to prepare the base and get it reasonably level. The concrete will be about 75mm thick so I had to scrape away about two big bags of sub base first and remove the biggish stones.

Next task was to set up some shutters around the sump. I don’t want concrete spilling into the sump. It didn’t need to be neat so I just smashed up some old shera fence into three pieces and wedged them in at the correct height.

DSC_1042.JPG

With the base reasonable flat I spread a full bag and half of sand over the whole area as a blinding to the sharp stones. The visqueen will lie on the sand base and hopefully not get punctured even when I walk across it.

DSC_1043.JPG

DSC_1044.JPG

So just a light sand covering half inch was sufficient and then after tamping down I cut the visqueen with a full depth upstand at the perimeter.

The visqueen is serving two purposes really firstly it some insurance that should it be a very hot pouring day the water is not going to disappear into the ground from the bottom and maybe only evaporate from the top which I can control. Water into the ground from a concrete mix can have a detrimental effect and that’s a certainty.

It also serves as a backup that should my concrete leak in any thin areas or even around the edges where it abuts the existing concrete then its not going to drain away any further…with pond top up required every day. And for 75bt for half the piece I bought yesterday it’s a no brainer.

At 4.30pm the sand and gravel arrived as I was preparing the old timber posts for a good cleaning before I decided which ones to choose for the waterfall feature.

DSC_1046.JPG

DSC_1047.JPG

Today is another milestone as its 2 years to the day since we started the house. Two years since the first builder walked through our gates with 6 or 7 labourers carrying tools. Their first task was to offer fruit and hang Buddha flowers on our small treeand pray for a successful job. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that dint work :wink:

I said to Wasu then, that no garden spirit is going to look after them I will be at them every step. I tolerated them about 8 weeks before Wasu suggested they collect their tools and leave. :D
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Chapter 13 day 33

Building work now is a stop start affair. It’s a case of trying to pan everything around the rain.
I have been caught out before with some of my render being washed off but the next task is to concrete the pond floor.

However its raining but with a hosepipe it’s a good time to clean up my 12 timber posts and think about how to arrange them. I will possibly use 3 or 4 of them but I need to trim them down.

Up close they are actually very nice, well worn and full of character. The mortices through some of them is giving me an idea about how to create a water flow.

So hand mixing alone is going to be very tough, as I have a decent amount to mix and I need to get the last of it in before the first batch is going off. :roll:

I was going to leave it a day but heavy rains prevented me going to play badminton so I thought an opportunistic window would be as soon as the current downpour stops.

My mixing bath was almost full with 4.5 bags emptied into it, the difficulty is to get it all mixed…at the bottom.

I had to work fast because I wanted to get the next batch mixed. :?

The first batch covered about a third or just over so I thought if I added and extra two bags in the next mix that should do it. :wink:

The next mix was much better consistency and easier to work with. The first one was a bit light on sand to get a smooth top.

My arms were really aching mixing that lot, then throwing it, but I was going to be light on the mix. :(

A final one bag of sand and one gravel should see it completed. The rain started again, my mix was getting piss wet through but fortunately the pond area is under cover.

Success in the end, it was as level as I could get it and now after sealing the edges over the visqueen I was ready for the next stage which is…….spending more money I fear. :cry:

DSC_1048.JPG

DSC_1049.JPG

When I mentioned to Wasu about tiling it she wasn’t too impressed and thinks its not necessary.

And yes tiling is another big job and not cheap and most of the ponds I have seen that are tiled look a real mess covered in algae, and when the tiles are clean the cement grout is black. Adding paint to the concrete is likely to peel off but I need to decide before I start setting up the tree posts because once they are in I cannot tile afterwards.

I think before anything I need to do a water hold test. :)
I reckon about 2 cubic metres of water is needed to see if it leaks away anywhere.

I will give it a couple or three days to dry out a bit before fitting the ball valve drain and seeing which of my hose pipes reach the pond.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Chapter 13 day 34

Well; I couldn’t wait 2 or 3 days to test the pond. :) With all the rain we have been having the pond was filling itself slowly and I was excited to see how good my brickwork and rendering were,

I only filled it about an inch and half, by that level I could already see holes in my masterpiece. :(

When I say holes I don’t really mean holes but there were a few areas that needed addressing.

The first drawback relates to Wasus damping down of my tiled bottom idea. I am not too concerned about water leaking out through the concrete as I have visqueen on my concrete floor and the rest was a readymix and a ten times better standard than mine but the problem is that I have set up the outflow pipe to enable me to nicely slide a tile under the pipe. Presently its 10-15mm higher than the concrete.

As I was filling the pond it seemed I had introduced about 150 litres before it even approached the outflow. :shock:

I am not even convinced the short pipe was falling out or even level!!! So we have an uphill task already. :(

My double walls looked like they were holding back the water ok but I would need to fill the whole pond and leave it a couple of days to be certain of that.

But the main leaks were on the half brick walls adjacent the timber post. This was a narrow channel only because the staircase legs and the string was in the way so it was difficult to render internally. The steel base plate also created a difficult leveling exercise.

However, it appears I have leakage under my first course of brickwork possibly in three places. :cry:

There wasn’t a lot of point continuing with the filling up, as I already had another job to do; filleting all the internal corners, something I would need to do if it was tiled.

When it came to emptying the pond I hadn’t really considered where the water will go. The ball valve was ok where it was as my intention was to direct it across the drive at some stage…but not now so I had nothing prepared.

At least the sump was helpful in that I could quickly fill buckets and walk them away. :|
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Chapter 13 day 34 contd

I had had enough disappointments for one morning so instead i changed the mood and took Wasu for a lunch break in the mountains.
i will start again on the pond tomorrow

DSC_1054.JPG

DSC_1055.JPG

DSC_1057.JPG

DSC_1059.JPG

DSC_1062.JPG

DSC_1067.JPG

DSC_1066.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby schuimpge » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:20 am

eyecatcher wrote:Chapter 13 day 34
The first drawback relates to Wasus damping down of my tiled bottom idea. I am not too concerned about water leaking out through the concrete as I have visqueen on my concrete floor and the rest was a readymix and a ten times better standard than mine but the problem is that I have set up the outflow pipe to enable me to nicely slide a tile under the pipe. Presently its 10-15mm higher than the concrete.

However, it appears I have leakage under my first course of brickwork possibly in three places. :cry:

There wasn’t a lot of point continuing with the filling up, as I already had another job to do; filleting all the internal corners, something I would need to do if it was tiled.
:|

I know the comments are likely too late, but even so...

- Small Aquarium pump will save you the trouble of being a bucket-brigade member. Good thinking on the sump!

- If you want to seal the concrete and flaws/mistakes that caused leaks, buy a 2-component epoxy paint. You'll need to let the concrete dry first, but after that, in 2 layers, you'll have a very strong and easy to clean surface. Did my pond with it and our turtle is scratching it continuously when he climbs out the higher pond before sliding down the waterfall to the lower pond. And he has some big long and sharp claws... Does that for about a year now and not a single scratch on the paint.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:45 pm

schuimpge wrote:
eyecatcher wrote:Chapter 13 day 34

:|

I know the comments are likely too late, but even so...

- Small Aquarium pump will save you the trouble of being a bucket-brigade member. Good thinking on the sump!

- If you want to seal the concrete and flaws/mistakes that caused leaks, buy a 2-component epoxy paint. You'll need to let the concrete dry first, but after that, in 2 layers, you'll have a very strong and easy to clean surface. Did my pond with it and our turtle is scratching it continuously when he climbs out the higher pond before sliding down the waterfall to the lower pond. And he has some big long and sharp claws... Does that for about a year now and not a single scratch on the paint.

Cheers,
Luc

no, your suggestion is not too late, thanks for that idea. I have had a few problems with leaks which will be documented but as I write 10 weeks on I have an empty pond awaiting my next idea...which you may have given me.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Chapter 13 day 35

After mentioning that I really should tile the pond bottom to prevent leaks, give it a good finish and assist the water to drain from my outlet she says…

“well I thought you put the drain in a bit high but I didn’t want to say anything”

:roll:

“No its not too high it is set exactly to fit a tile under so if we dint tile it then yes it’s a bit high”

She insisted a tiled bottom will still get dirty and then says she will probably want some water plants and some fish.

Oh well my pristine sparkling fountains idea is out of the window and green algae ridden walls and rotting timbers it is then. :?

A trip out to global this morning to get a pond pump and a couple dozen pipe fittings. I also bought a roll of aluzinc as we have a leaking gutter at the spa…when I say leaking it’s a real heavy waterfall right infront of our entrance so as a temporary emergency I am going to make a new gutter to slip inside the old one.

1 (11).jpg

I have started to arrange the timber logs to make a waterfall.

DSC_1068.JPG

Apart from the fact that I had to cut them all, they are very heavy so its not easy to play about with them, rearranging them as one slip and they roll and crush your toes.

DSC_1069.JPG

DSC_1070.JPG

I know what I want to see but achieving it is nion impossible and I can see me having to get a bag of old slates to slip in and create waterfall shelves.

DSC_1071.JPG

Wasu had the idea that I should scallop out a channel in the top timber to either hide the water pipe or just to act as a collecting bath to spill over. I think the spill over bath is a good idea if I can manage it.

So a few attempts to stack the timbers followed by my start on scalloping the top one.

DSC_1072.JPG

DSC_1073.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Chapter 13 day 36

I continued this morning scalloping out a channel in the top timber. That’s a long job if you don’t have a router but when it was done I wanted to test it.

DSC_1074.JPG

DSC_1075.JPG

Leveled it up then tipped it slightly from the back and started to fill it. Well it works but the overflow edge is up and down really so I may need to plane a bit off or just prop it up more and see what happens.

DSC_1076.JPG

DSC_1077.JPG

When I set it in position on the pile of timber it looked ok so did the water test again.

DSC_1078.JPG

I wasn’t impressed. I hadn’t really managed to create any sort of water fall and there seemed to be more water escaping from the left and right than actually going into the pond. :(

DSC_1079.JPG

DSC_1080.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Chapter 13 day 36 contd

I keep looking at the pile of timbers and thinking “its too much” its too big its overcrowded so I decided to remove three timbers altogether and start again with a new design. :)

DSC_1086.JPG

I can usually feel if something doesn’t look right or even work right so as always rip it up and start again.

So after plan B was put into action I needed to make the temporary gutter for the spa.

DSC_1081.JPG

I bought a sheet of aluzinc for 200bt. It was an 8x3 sheet. I could have bought a pre made 8 ft gutter in global for 169bt! But with a car you cannot carry anything over 5 foot that doesn’t bend so the plan was just to bend a new shape to drop inside the existing gutter.

If I make an 8 foot length I can cut it in two pieces to fit in the car and still hopefully slide inside the gutter bridging the old break.
DSC_1082.JPG

DSC_1083.JPG

I realised soon enough that I had bought a zinc grade slightly thicker than I wanted as it proved difficult to bend…very difficult. It was always going to be a hammering job but you need to get it started by hand.

So after marking out the profile I had measured it was a case of folding along the line…..just like origami apparently…..not!!

I really needed a table to bend it but a piece of 2x2 steel had to suffice.

By the time it looked about done I kept thinking I wish I had a press roller to pull the shape out in 10 seconds.

DSC_1084.JPG

My hammering job is ok but you can see what happens to metal with uneven hammering, it becomes stretched and wavy.

However, its not bad and I just need to snip it in two and then can try and fit it tomorrow.

We have another trip planned. This time its an Isaan family visit coupled with some monk ceremony and also it’s the Bang Fai weekend. :)

Its 5 years since we last did a bang fai weekend and what a great experience that was; but second or third time around doesn’t have the same excitement value as there are no surprises…but this wasn’t bad last time. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Chapter 13 day 37

A day of errands and chores with Wasu today.

The main task today was to see if my home made gutter fits and is able to do a job.

The rain and winds over the last month have made me realize that its time to overhaul the spas roadside appeal.

6 years ago everything was new and we were proud of how it looked. My priority was to get kerbside appeal; if we can get people over the door threshold then its upto Wasu to sell the products.

If your place looks a dive from the outside you are not even going to get people looking in.

Well now in the last 18 months with another 20 massage shops opened up around us, they all look new and ours is looking tired and old already.

The vinyl sign we have at the front is 4mx2m and the winds literally lifted the bottom edge and flipped it completely over. Its unbelievable really; you can still read the sign but the steel framework is at the front!

Then a waste pipe from one of our showers came apart outside this spewing water out where it shouldn’t.

Our bamboo fence really is on its last legs; I think in another year the termites and bamboo beetles will have had their fill and be moving somewhere else.

And the gutter; Wasu tells me the current break is possibly her fault and unbeknown to me she climbed the bamboo onto the roof to try and fix the shower outlet and flip the vinyl sign back over.

I went up myself today. I wasn’t confident that my gutter would fit despite me measuring it. An initial gutter clean out of sludge and then the new gutter, hand tamped inside the existing one. It wasn’t straightforward but it was a snug fit; then the next smaller piece followed.

Wasu passed up the hosepipe for a test and it was looking good…until I noticed the real problem.

The gutter outlet was blocked. So water wasn’t escaping and that consequence meant the gutter was filling and filling until overflow point….the waterfall last week!

A quick broddle with a length of water pipe and the blockage was cleared.

Job done….but did I really need to make a new gutter when it was the outlet that was blocked?

We have decided to replace the vinyl sign which only last 2.5 years before being shrunk in the sunlight or blown away due to inadequate tie loops. I am thinking to build a wall of shera board and then get some laser cut acrylic of just our logo.

I designed the logo myself as you would expect hahaha before I even started day one on the lease. Sitting in the local park with my sketch book I still have all my preliminary designs and how they developed. My end result was so good I wanted to go and patent it for fear of someone stealing it but my enquiries looked like in Thailand I would be going on a very expensive goose trail and for no point.

Well I suppose its registered on our website and I have proof of my sketch designs.

Next job the pump….its 7 years old , a fujika with a 3 year guarantee and we have had the flow switch replaced twice and a bladder leak all in the last 2 years which cost us about 800bt each time.

As part of the 6 year re investment we need to get a new pump so its off to the local pumps specialist for advice and price.
eyecatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand