House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby eyecatcher » Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Chapter 15 day 31

Day 31 and I am now on the jobs I don’t want to do; the ones I have put off simply because they hold the biggest worry for me….the window and the door.

First off I removed the two window sashes and put them in the car and took them to our window man. Why piss about trying to chisel out the beads when I can let the window man cut and fit the glass and slide it in at his workshop.

DSC_0136.JPG

I think I woke him up again. :roll: Even though the front was open he sleeps upstairs on the mezzanine. He recognizes me now, well he has done 3 jobs for me.

He asked one question…green glass?

I replied with arai godeye upto you (whatever)

Hanging the door would seem a bit of a pissball. After all I am using the original door and I bought a new frame to suit it.
I set the frame up ok though I do have some niggly concerns about whether it was cock on plumb and that the legs were not bowing slightly as I pushed blocks in around it.

The door already had its hinges fitted and the handles so in theory it should fit but it depends on the hinges.

I set it in position. It was tight but it looked like it would fit. I marked the hinge positions and then chiseled out the protruding plastic to set the hinge back the extra 3mm.

DSC_0129.JPG

Even with the hinges back a tad the leading edge was still rubbing on the closing stile. I suppose I could have found some thinner hinges if I looked but the frame had the 3mm projection all the way down the leg and one on the door also.
If push came to shove it was feasible to gain an extra 6mm chiseling both off.

I decided to shave down the bead on the frame. Not too difficult but required some degree of skill with the chisel to keep it flush.

Hinges all screwed up, with the plastic frame you really need to get it right first time as there is no meat inside the frame.

Door closing fine now I just needed to find and fit a striking plate. :)

Using a 13mm flat bit I sunk two holes for the keep, and squared them up with a chisel. Striking plate screwed on and door shutting very nicely.

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

I don’t have the padlock staple, I forgot to pick one up the other day so that’s another task to come back to.

DSC_0134.JPG

The tiles I fitted around the basin the other day were not looking great. I grouted them with a no nails type gun adhesive thinking that’s a job done. But in the days that passed the adhesive has shrunk into the joints and it looks crap. Add to that the thick adhesive smears either side of the tile it was time to do it properly.

After a scraping and raking job I remixed some white grout and did the job as I should have done the first time. :oops:

DSC_0135.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat May 05, 2018 8:40 pm

Chapter 15 day 31 contd

The window sashes were now at the glaziers and my next task is to clean up the frame, fill part of the head with an infill piece then mix some more glue filler and finally fit the architrave to the outside face.

DSC_0137.JPG

I had the sander out running into the rebate but it was too bulky so it was hand sanding. I cut and pinned a small section of timber into the big hole at the left side head of the frame and then mixed some filler and re jointed the worktop seams and filled what I could on this old frame.

DSC_0138.JPG

I have some trims for the external face, a 50mm for the head and some 40mm for the jambs and sill. These were glued and nailed into the old frame and are now ready for a final sanding down tomorrow.

DSC_0139.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

Mid afternoon Wasu called me to say the glass was already done

“oh that was quick, he obviously didn’t have a job on today”

“You can collect now”

“Maybe tomorrow I am busy now” :?

I know what will happen now, it will call 3 times before I catch him in again and end up getting pissed off with it. If I am lucky I can call mid morning and have those windows hinged and fitted and stained before the day is out.

On the inside reveals it doesn’t need much, I suppose a neat paint and stain and caulking job will suffice but I have an offcut 30mm wide and the length of a floor board. It will do 2 sides or a side and the head.

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

I decided to cut it for 2 sides but that’s as far as today takes me, a beer is beckoning so its another day finished. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue May 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Chapter 15 day 32

I started day one making the window and my final job was also making the window, who would have thought it. :wink:

Well its messy and so many different processes to making it work so you’re obviously going to put it off until tomorrow and tomorrow again and again.

I set off this morning with the sander again, to sand down all the filling I did yesterday around the frame and on the worktop again.

I glued the two trims to the window jambs and wished at this point I hadn’t used up all my very small nails. I probably have a packet somewhere but finding them is the whole reason I wanted a tool shed.

The adhesive wasn’t great and I needed to use g cramps and some larger nails to pin the bead in place.

DSC_0144.JPG

DSC_0145.JPG

By late morning it was worth the risk of going to collect my window sashes.

I was in luck, he was already up and chasing his kids around a shop full of aluminium frames, glass and screws and every manner of lethal bits and pieces. :shock:

He had fitted the green eco glass, I think because he knows I have it everywhere else and the invoice 500bt; 250bt a frame which is about what I expected.

1.jpg

One window will be fixed. I will simply fit it into the rebates and drive a screw through each corner. No messing about with hinges or handles.

The opening sash needs hinges fitting and I can see the frame is tight at the moment so I will need to sink the hinges into the sash.

DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

Not only that, its still tight and its going to be easier to chop out for recessed hinges in the frame rather than planning away a leading edge that is already a very good fit.

With the sash now swinging and closing all it needs is a ten minute hand sanding on the leading edge rebates to get a swish closing, and I think I will try to pull the hinge in another 2mm at the top.

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

With one final trim to fit on the inside I ripped down a real skank piece of wood but it did the job. :)

Everywhere had a final sanding up, the worktop and all the corners to the windows, those filled screw heads. In fact prepping the windows for staining took a lot longer than I expected. :roll:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue May 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Chapter 15 day 32 contd

Right, onwards and upwards and time to open the woodstain and make a start on the worktop and the window. :)

I made a start with the reveal trims and then the top of the dwarf wall. The windows were done in quite timely fashion and whilst on the outside I did give the long fascia a coat of stain.

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0154.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG

DSC_0156.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

A long day but its looking almost finished. I think by tomorrow that first coat of stain may well have soaked into many areas and I may have to re sand and re stain the worktop.

With the only item left to buy being an 880bt tub of yellow for the outside wall, mainly to do a further coat on the boundary wall, my total spend on this project is 8900bt.

I have not decided on the racks for tools. If I do with steel then I will order that at the same time as I order steel for the carport. Or I could continue using up the floorboards of which I am down to my last 6 and 3 of those are needed for an interior shelving idea I have.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed May 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Chapter 15 day 33

I am going to call today the last day on this project. Its going to be a painting and staining touch up day. :)

I have bags of spare window catches and handles so they are to fit and almost forgot I have not even connected up the electric to the junction box, well no sweat on that one but if I don’t update you know my electrics were faulty!

The good news is that I have a quarter of a tub of the external masonry paint so that’s more than sufficient to give the back wall a good covering . :)

But first I am touching up; well touching up ended up being a full repaint. There were scuff marks here and there, where I was careless with the tiling grout or I had tried to swing a cat and taken a lump out of the wall or my dirty fingerprints were all over.
Started with the white around the window and proceeded to the yellow. I had enough to give everything another coat. Tidying up around the basin was satisfying as it looked quite grubby generally

Back wall quickly covered I then returned to the woodwork. After the first coat yesterday as usual it tends to soak right in and fur up the surface. Two coats is always a minimum requirement and this was no different. I did some fine sanding over everywhere including the window frame and sashes, a wipe over and it was re stained.

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

The richness of that walnut stain is again evident; actually I don’t like it and often wish I had originally chosen something less red.
I almost forgot to do the threshold which got me thinking…where is that offcut of stair tread profile. Its been kicking about for 18 months and maybe I can fit it to the step....or maybe not.
eyecatcher

Postby schuimpge » Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Perfect Job Eye-catcher.. well done..

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby eyecatcher » Thu May 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Chapter 15 day 34

Last job for now, to fit a pull handle, a window stay and a shoot bolt. Pretty sure I can find those in my big bag of salvaged ironmongery/spares from the house windows.

Haha, well I did but I couldn’t find even two items to match. I have enough tower bolts to use in a prison but none have the flat escutcheon plate I need. It doesn’t matter anyway, it’s a bloody shed at the end of the day and will rarely be even visited.

DSC_0172.JPG

Well one thing led to another and with the dregs of yellow paint left I decided to repaint the walls to the old leaning bathroom tower. With several grey render patches from recent plumbing tasks it did look a mess so I used the white primer first of all then recoated everything with the same yellow paint.

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0174.JPG

I still have a tiny amount to do at the eaves to complete, but that’s because Terry the Tokay was watching my every move and I didn’t want him taking the roller from me…. but overall its looking good and brings to an end that project for now.

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0175.JPG

DSC_0176.JPG

Quite enjoyed that project as it wasn’t hard work apart from the rendering. I have been creative again with old spares and rubbish which I am good at and I have smashed the budget with a final cost of 8548bt :)

Breakdown as follows.
All the blocks, adhesive and render and beads 3630bt door frame 950bt; sink sundries tap, waste, flexi 679bt white primer and emulsion 640bt all plug sockets, switches cabling 340bt; new glass and pair hinges 535bt floor tiles and adhesive 379bt, plasterboard and ceiling rails 600bt window architraves 320bt, sundry screws, sand, cement,small bricks, qcon straps 475bt, everything else salvaged.

When I look at that cost it takes me back to 1986. I had just got married (1st time) we had a new house and I bought a timber shed for the garden. It was only a 6ft x 4ft panel shed with felt covered pitched roof, a basic shiplap one.

We paid £180 for it, it was probably the 2nd cheapest in their range and could just about accommodate my small electric mower and some gardening tools.

32 years later and this is my toolshed and it has cost exactly the same. :shock:

The racking or backboards will require some further consideration but if I do it in steel then I will wait until I have other steel delivered.

Next project; well I quite fancy making an open shelving unit/room divider in the lounge. We don’t even sit there but its in the long term plan…as is a chair to sit on.. and a tv, though we really don’t need a tv as we manage quite well on our phones and pc.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Chapter 15 day 35

I thought I had finished until I mentioned to Wasu that all she needs to do now is give the room a clean out and a wipe down and then she can put her sewing stuff in. :)

She tells me she is not putting her things in until I have finished the shelving and the drilling and mess is finished! :shock: :(

That was a shock as I was looking forward to a few days rest under the guise of “I am now planning the next project” :lol:

She suggested I can re use the old shelving I have in the bathroom shed and then she also wants to see me hang things on the wall where possible so they can be seen easily. :roll:

I had a few ideas with some old 100mm poo pipe and I will use some of the yellow electrical and blue water pipe clips I have in abundance. I have found they are perfect for dropping screwdrivers in or hammers.

Anyway I am going to throw myself right at it. I cant be bothered to plan this out. Most tools are able to fit in your pocket or in a big box

I will set up the 1700mm long shelf at 1600 high and then make a wider one at the bottom for heavy tools like the planer, the sander and circ saw, maybe the tile cutter, the welder and leave about 300mm to the floor so I can push under the 2 gallon paint tubs.

On the small return wall I will randomly fix a few timber pattresses on which to screw my spare pipe clips and maybe some cup hooks whatever. I am just going to set out the two main shelves then fill in as required.

We put the bike in there today and it’s a no no. it takes up too much room without doubt and its not so easy to get in, so we decided it is best to stay where it is at the moment.

First task, cut 3 pattresses on which I need to fix the old shelf. It’s a crappy shelf really, cheap termite food softwood battens with those hafele shelf brackets.

Pattresses cut sanded and fixed I then stained the old shelf.

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

I have 3 bigger hafele brackets I salvaged from the spa some time ago and I think these are perfect for a two board wide shelf.

DSC_0181.JPG

One floorboard taken from the dwindling pile, cut in half and sanded it.

DSC_0182.JPG

Quick job screwing it to the wall. Don’t forget everything that is fixed to the wall here is simply screwed. There are no wall plugs, that’s a beauty of qcons.

DSC_0183.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Chapter 15 day 35 contd

The shelf has a bit of spring in it and I am not surprised so I decided just to support the front edge with a small leg at the end and one in the middle. Drilled and screwed into the support bracket.

DSC_0185.JPG

Now its time to start collating what tools I have. I have tools everywhere and I am not surprised I have several of each because if I couldn’t find anything I would go and buy another!

DSC_0187.JPG

I emptied the bag of electric and water pipe brackets so I have a lot to use up.

DSC_0186.JPG

Time to start making some randon pattresses and setting out for screwdrivers and hammers.

DSC_0188.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

These pipe brackets are very useful for the screwdrivers but there are some tools which I am thinking “how do I hang this up” like a circular saw, the heavy sander, the grinder…or do I just keep them in a box, yes that’s maybe better.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon May 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Chapter 15 day 35 contd

My day progressed, I used cup hooks and pipe brackets and I made a spanner rack and a rail for trowels and steel floats.

DSC_0191.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

Still only half way there though. :(

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

I have 3 small shelves to remove from the old bathroom which I will re fit but I have some more ideas to hang things with some old drainpipes like gun mastic tubes…..they are a big problem always falling over, difficult to store them but I have an idea. :)

1.jpg

Good day, I found some things I had lost and also realised that I have kept things for the sake of it…like 2 broken spirit levels!!, :roll: three screwdrivers that are useless as screwdriver and I found my nail punch after recently getting used to using the head of a nail.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Chapter 15 day 36

I have spent another long but enjoyable day making shelving for my tools and realised that although space has diminished on the walls, I am only half way through the pile of stuff I have. :roll:

I have come to a worrying conclusion.

Before I had a nice black plastic toolbox, overflowing but it kept everything together. All I seemed to have done is to empty the toolbox and hang everything spaced out on the walls!!! :shock:

So I have achieved nothing but tidiness and order and I still have no room for the steel cutter, my bike, boxes of random screws and nails and fixings and bagfuls of plumbing and electric bits and pieces.

I have a 6 foot petrol engine brush cutter still there which I have used three times before it ceased up or else I flooded it with oil. Now those are awkward to hang up, very! :wink:

I was just enjoying myself anyway trying to adapt every bit of waste into something useful.

DSC_0196.JPG

DSC_0197.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0199.JPG

I made a small shelf for chisels and bolsters, just cut holes in the shelf to drop them in. I also had an idea to keep mastic tubes.
I hate them, they are like skittles always falling over and then as they get used up the weight moves to the top so they become top heavy and a fly will knock them over.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon May 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Chapter 15 day 36 contd

I was going to drop them behind some pipe brackets but although they fit, when you fit pipe brackets you need the bobbin packer from the wall.

DSC_0200.JPG

I didn’t want to mess about doing that so I cut some waste pipe, scalloped the front to enable easy removal and reading, and easy to screw and had them sitting on a strip of wood which in turn carries the mastic gun.

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

I think it’s a brilliant idea in so far as never again will I have to pickup a mastic tube with a bent nozzle from the floor. :)

I You Tubed ideas to carry circular saws and most were simple but complex 45 degree sloped panels with a slot for the blade.

After trying to draw out my own idea it suddenly occurred to me that the small shelves I was refitting were just hit and miss battens so I could just lay the saw on the shelf. Perfect. :)

DSC_0207.JPG

I fixed another shelf for decorating tools,rollers, small tins of paint and underneath I set up a board of nails to hang paint brushes and palette knives.

DSC_0205.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

I can see the remainder of the bits and pieces needing a new home like a plastic drawer unit or something or just all throwing back into the black tool box again.
eyecatcher

Postby groucho » Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm

You are the Picasso of storage!
groucho

Postby eyecatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Chapter 15 day 37

I really have been pottering for the last few days. I arrived at the stage of what to do with all the smaller bits left and was looking around everywhere to make use of some rubbish to make a shelf or a hook or a method to contain things.

A few spare lengths of old waste pipes from 100mm down to 32mm came in handy as I designed a sort of tidy to retain a heavy lump hammer, a rendering straight edge and some wrecking spikes etc.

So I planted a piece of timber on the floor and them fixed a board to the wall maybe a foot higher then cut some drainpipes and strapped them to the board. Now I can simply drop in the long stuff.

1.jpg

With that working fine I decided to bring the old metal shelving unit in.
I didn’t design for it to be here but as luck would have it, I can just about squeeze it in behind the dwarf wall and the tanks.

So instead of dumping paint tubs on the floor I can put them on the shelves.

1 (2).jpg

After going totally overboard and spending 45bt on three plastic trays for my plumbing pipe bends and clips I ended up wondering what to do with the 14 or so yellow plastic electric junction boxes. They wouldn’t fit in the trays and my paint tubs were not great at fitting square pegs in round holes.

1 (3).jpg

I thought I am never likely to need them, and if I do, I will go and buy some more at 10bt each but I have this idea; they are perfect as storage boxes for my screws and nails and other small sundries. :)

1 (13).jpg
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Chapter 15 day 37contd

With what was left of the old blockboard I cut two pieces a tad longer than the two yellow box arrangements I had designed, four shorter pieces for the ends and four narrow feet. Overall they would be about 560mm long.

1 (5).jpg

The two ends I cut holes in them for the handle and jigsawed a more aesthetic look to it!
It was rough, it was quick but its gonna do a job and its gonna look fine.

1 (6).jpg

1 (7).jpg

After screwing the sides on, I cut two of the old wooden curtain poles to length and fed them nicely through the holes I made.

1 (8).jpg

With a small piece of wood blocking the ends rather than a screw through the top they were almost done and I gave them a good coat of chaindrite.

1 (9).jpg

Last task was to fit some front and back stops to stop my boxes sliding off. Again I ripped down some old blockboard strips just 25mm wide and screwed them down.

They look great, and after decanting my nails and screws from old box and plastic packets to the new ones I am now thinking I should have made another as I have at least another 10 different screw and nail sizes. :)

1 (15).jpg

But anyway I will keep the smaller screws in the original plastic screw box I have had for years.

Next plan is to find a home for two x 10m extension cables; a steel drain snake and 10m of plastic pipe water level which really I should throw away as they take longer to fill up than to set out using pegs and sight boards. :roll:
eyecatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand