House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Chapter 13 day 50 contd

I was of course really on the front line and less than 10m from the real scorch marks on the ground.

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Only one rocket exploded whilst I was there, it had already left the tower but after 2 seconds we were all running for cover until you get the perspective of where the debris is falling. That was a scary moment. :shock: :(

DSC_0061.JPG

There were also a few rocket people taken away after being overcome with fumes but whilst the main crowd were 20m or so back those rocket teams strapping their rockets to the towers were literally turning their backs to the launch of the rocket on the adjacent tower literally only 6m away. :shock:

If any rocket had exploded prior to launching then everyone on those towers would have taken the full blast like a bomb. That was probably the most dangerous thing I saw…. :(

Oh no, there was another occasion. When I was a kid, the golden rule about fireworks was never to go back to firework if it doesn’t light as it could explode (and often did)

One rocket was detonated, (by means of a guy sitting on his own under the rocket with a 12v car battery and a couple of leads into the rocket somewhere) but it failed to ignite. They tried again but nothing. :(

So they sent the team idiot back up the tower to have a prod and a poke etc etc. :shock: fortunately he completed the task successfully and returned to see it go.

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Chapter 13 day 50 contd

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Chapter 13 day 40 contd

These rockets are travelling several kilometers and aswell as it being a tradition its also a competition. The rockets are awarded points for distance travelled, height, straightness of the vapour trails and there is big prize money at stake. There is also quite evidently local gambling going on with bets being made on distances expected.

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

Wasu had sat patiently on her own for 90 minutes so I returned to her for a bbq chicken and beer lunch.

It was time to go, I could have stopped another two hours but I could see the mood was coming and before long I was spouting off that this was my only 90 minutes of pleasure since leaving Chiang Mai. :roll:

Of course she didn’t ask me to come; and its not her familys fault that they cant speak to me or offer me some recognisable food but in 5 minutes she erupted into one of her typical “well we have tried and it doesn’t work I am better off on my own”

:lol: :lol: I do, I have heard it a hundred times

And off she went in search of our motorbike parked in someones garden in a myriad of sois 800m away with 20 thousand people to negociate. :(

We were back at the house by 3 or 4pm where I just hid away waiting for my next instruction which would be at 6pm.

"Go and get a shower now because they turn the water pressure down at 7 and you cannot use the electric shower."
Last edited by eyecatcher on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Chapter 13 day 40 contd

and final ones in lieu of my videos

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG
Last edited by eyecatcher on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
eyecatcher wrote:Chapter 13 day 40 contd
(one of those rare times a video will really give you the buzz...but cannot upload mine here sorry??)

Standard practice is to upload the video to YouTube then post a link here, as with my security grill video.

You mean this site isnt as sophisticated as facebook? I will give you tube a miss it sounds far too complex but thanks for pointing it out. :)
eyecatcher

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 am

eyecatcher wrote: as sophisticated as facebook

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sophisticated = deceptive; misleading, deprived of native or original simplicity, unnecessary complex

No we are not.

There is also a cost involved in having large files stored on a server, so why pay that when YouTube is happy to do it for us.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
eyecatcher wrote: as sophisticated as facebook

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sophisticated = deceptive; misleading, deprived of native or original simplicity, unnecessary complex

No we are not.

There is also a cost involved in having large files stored on a server, so why pay that when YouTube is happy to do it for us.

I expect you have been a good few "bang fai" festivals yourself living o'er t'other side so will be aware of the atmosphere and noise :wink:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Chapter 13 day 41

After last nights “Fight” which is how Wasu described our falling out to her parents this morning I am made to feel rather embarrassed. Everyone was being especially nice to me, and her dad greeted me with sanook sanook? It wasn’t long before I was advised that her mum had charged us with a task. :)

Finally someone has found something useful for me to do. The task was to go into the fields and pick all the chillies from the small bushes that they are growing. Then they had trees of eggplants to strip and the idea was that mum intended to bag them up and go around the village the next day and sell them at 10bt a bag.

I quite enjoyed chillie picking and half filling a 10 litre paint tub….but after the usual ritual of getting out of bed at 5.30; the full family breakfast at 7 our task in the fields was more or less complete by 10am :roll:

Oh well it’s the last day. We have a bus leaving Yasothon at 7pm so the hours are counting down. :)

Another couple of laps around the multi rai estate and an attempt to feed the cows and my next task was to fill a bag with kaffir limes from their rather tall tree.

Wasu uses a lot of kaffir limes at the spa every day but even at the markets here in Chiang Mai the price per kg has gone from 30bt to 120bt and fluctuates every month so Wasu has often had the barefaced cheek to knock on someone doors where she sees a tree and ask for some kaffirs. :shock:

I needed a ladder. It seems the local ladder is shared by a dozen properties so mum got on her motorbike and returned 5 minutes later with a 4m long bamboo ladder on her shoulder. :lol:

My efforts to climb the ladder were short lived. I managed to step right through the first bamboo rung which was hastily tied with wire and by the time I climbed into the thick of it I was already covered in red ants and screaming a few choice words.

Trying to pick the kaffirs became a ground assault with a long bamboo stick and giving the fruit a good ole whack.

I wasn’t too good at that either as Wasu applauded me for nicely smashing into the main ants nest and having ants fall down on her. :oops:

A nice moment occurred a bit later in the afternoon. I was inside the house on my own and heard some unfamiliar voices outside.

It was one of Wasus dads cousins, one of his drinking crew I suspect as this man came staggering up the drive pissed as a newt back towards his bike parked on the road outside.

He stumbled onto his bike and glanced towards me and gestured his surprise to see me.

He got straight off his bike, staggered down the drive towards me, looked me up and down, smiled and shook my hand.

A few words of sabai dee mai were exchanged followed by his parting words…..”ok got to go home now”

That was a surprise to me, coming out with that sentence.

Its often the case that villagers are surprised yet very happy and humbled to see a farang. During the parade on the first afternoon there were about 12 farangs that I saw but at the rocket festival I only saw one other farang.

Our journey back to the bus station is always a challenge. The simple method is to get someone to take us into Phanom Phrai then we get the local songthaew type truck to drive to Yasothon. However it’s a Sunday and there are no songthaews running after 10am.
Her brother in law and sister had already left on rocket day and whilst here sister can drive her car she doesn’t have a licence so is fearful of driving out of the local area. :(

It seems not many people have a driving licence so a call was made to hire a driver, a friend who has the golden ticket apparently. :)

With a bus a 7pm and Wasu urging me to get ready I was puzzled why we need to set off at 4.15 on a 45 minute journey :roll:

“they don’t want to be too late back because they go to bed at 7pm”

“So we have to wait for 2 hours at the bus station?” :(

“Yes I think so.”

But as the most perfect luck would have it….we arrived at the bus station at 5.10, stepped out of the car and then the preceding coach arrived.

“quick, go and see if this bus has any spare seats”

3 minutes later I get a call….

“Yes they have 2 seats but not together but behind each other; shall we take it”

“Yes, we may aswell”

And so we managed to jump ahead the 2 hours and get a flyer across to Chiang Mai. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Chapter 13 day 42

We arrived back in Chiang Mai at 7am this morning and after a quick delivery to the spa of 25kg of rice, 6kg of kaffir limes and who knows what else was in the rice sack hanging between my thighs on the motorbike, we headed off home.

First thing I noticed, the pond was empty. 2m3 of water had disappeared in 3 days. :shock:

Well; lets just say something is leaking.

I expected the concrete slab I laid to absorb some water but since I have membraned surely it would just saturate and hold.?

There was no real evidence that the walls were leaking but I suspect it’s the walls that have allowed water to absorb through the render and just soak into the brick walls and possibly out through my concrete footing. :?

I did say to Wasu that my intention was to tile it but this time she knew best

“I don’t think tiling is necessary” to quote her

I was all for quickly measuring up and heading off to sukkapan to get the same tiles as we have on the outside patio and spending 4k baht but she suggested I try to seal from the inside with silicone etc etc.

“well ok I will see what is available but I can see that this is going to be like throwing good money onto bad.”

My render isn’t too thick and I suspect the latex additive I included was a bit on the light side but my plan was to check out all the latex additives, the silicone treatments and even the acrylic type brush on applications.

The main thing was I didn’t want to spend too much because I really don’t have any faith in any of those above mentioned applications.

After a good 30 minutes looking at Globals range of water sealers, I was none the wiser. :roll:

Probably 5 different manufacturers Lanko Sika Sista BeSomething, Bosny all making exactly the same line of products and all around a similar price like for like.

In the end and after a lot of back and forth I decided to buy a 5 litre can of cement additive for waterproofing. It did the same job as latex but was vinegar coloured and that was for me to spray on neat into the walls and the concrete floor.

In the event that my rough concrete (when I say rough I mean short on sand and cement) was the main problem I bought a Sista acrylic latex brush on coating. The picture on the tub showed a man using a sweeping brush to apply it to a roof!!

DSC_0145.JPG

That was expensive at 350bt but it was only a 3kg tub and at a stretch may cover the bottom twice.

I dismantled the masterpiece and cleared out the pond.

DSC_0144.JPG

I really saturated the walls with the additive, then the floor and just hoped it wouldn’t rain.

As for the Sista crap, well I can honestly say what was in that tub is exactly the same as you would get in the decorators gun mastic sealant. It was white, it smelled exactly the same and was the same consitency and I was just brushing in on.
It did suggest that the concrete surface should be dry but I was not prepared to wait three weeks for that slab to dry out; who would?

Two coats and two hours later I have a pond bottom spread with decorators caulking and I was just thinking “350bt wasted, I could have bought 2m2 of tiles for that”

Not happy with it, it doesn’t even look like it will ever dry; we will see tomorrow.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Chapter 13 day 43

Wasu took an early morning phone call.

You can always tell when there is bad news afoot and her conversation was more relating to shock and surprise rather than anything else. :?

So after the call I asked;

“Whats happened”

“You remember the man that got off his bike and came back to say hello to you”

“Oh, I didn’t realise you noticed”

“Well he is my dads cousin and he went to see him this morning. He was a bit surprised why he was still in bed so asked his mum to check. Sadly he passed away!”

:shock:

“Oh dear; he was a nice man but looked a lot older than me”

“He was only 41; I remember when I first went to the big school he was already one of the oldest at school and we used to ride our bikes back to the village together”

:shock:

She then told me that they were all quite close to this man and that Wasu had had a premonition dream about him a month ago…one of those worrying dreams that make people go and buy lottery numbers.

When he visited them two days ago Wasu had even suggested to her mum that she help organize some life insurance for him because the family hardly seemed worthy of being able to pay for a funeral; but she was quickly told to mind her own business by her mum.

I just hope she doesn’t have any weird dreams about me; its not the first time she has been close to the truth with her dreams. :roll:

After some more anecdotes of family member and villagers dying its evident that village life is a very short life. With the attraction of Lao khao to ease boredom its hardly surprising that if you make it to 50 you have done well

As expected some of the thicker applications of yesterdays coverage were still tacky but what was worse is that they stick to my finger and it pulled away from the concrete. So much for it saying good adhesion but ok it wasn’t dry enough to start so I expect the moisture to try and pull itself through.

My spray on additive however certainly is doing a job where I covered the rest of the concrete base. I can see it has sealed the surface and water is globulising on it. I hope the sides have improved also.. :)

As for the main base this caulking is as good as useless. If I start to rebuild the water feature the bottom will be ruined in 10 minutes, by simply peeling up so plan B I am going to mix some strong cement latex filled leveling screed and trowel it all on quickly.

Three buckets was all it needed and viscous enough to be able to pour it out and spread it to 1 or 2mm thick.

Job done, and I am much more confident that this has sealed the old concrete.

DSC_0143.JPG

Tomorrow I am going to set up the bubbling pots and rebuild the water feature before I start filling it with water. I even have some plants at the ready to decorate it. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Chapter 13 day 44

Its an art and design day for me. :)

My cement screed skim is dry and looking good so its time to rebuild the water feature with a few tweaks here and there.

Now aware that timber float! I have tried to minimize small pieces and try to load down others strategically wedging them or dropping a rock on them.

The bridge set up was quite straightforward today, it was a case of leveling it with the water spill and then just driving a few nails in here and there to pin it in place.

DSC_0146.JPG

I bought a few plants yesterday at the market but realised soon enough that they would not fit where I wanted them…well the pots were too big for the channel which I built too narrow! :roll:

DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

But hey ho; they will look ok wherever I place them. :)
Last edited by eyecatcher on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Chapter 13 day 44 contd

Next task to set up the bubbling pots. :)

Wasu had mentioned to me today how will I get the pots over the pipes because there is no hole in the bottom. I told her that actually they are solid but there is a punch out piece if you want a pipe hole or drainage hole.

When it came to looking for the punch outs only one had been prepared. :( Oh no; I should have checked when I bought them, just assumed and we all know assumption is the mother of all fkcu ups.

DSC_0149.JPG

First hole knocked out with a screwdriver in 30 seconds, easy, next one….gonna be a chore.

There definitely was no indent, some lazy dick who made the pot had forgotten to press his pipe end into the bottom!

I don’t have a 25mm diameter masonry bit, my hole cutters can just about manage plywood so it was going to be a bit changing exercise. :(

Started with a 14mm diameter, then tried to drill some 6mm around the hole, then used a bullet grinder in the drill and created a shape that was neither circle nor oval, a bit of both maybe but the pipe connection sleeve fitted like a glove….haha hardly! :wink:

DSC_0150.JPG

The main thing was just to get a hole through to allow the pipe to pass, the rest will be packed with silicone.

If you don’t seal the hole the water will simply drain away into the pond.

In order to sit over the feed pipes running along the bottom of the pond you can buy an inverted dish in the same material as the pot for 150bt! but you still have to cut out for it to sit on the pipes.
I decided that two small bricks sandwiching the pipe would also provide an adequate base to sit the pot and no fannying about.

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0153.JPG

After silicone sealing around the two vertical pipes I placed a small bucketful of concrete gravel in the bottom to provide some rigidity to the vertical pipe, and also to reduce the water pressure on the silicone seal.

Filled the pots up and checked that my setting up was as near as level as possible then marked the water level on the top of the pipe.

DSC_0155.JPG

DSC_0156.JPG

When I have looked at all the bubbling fountains in the shops it’s a general design that the pipe is cut off 10mm below the water line to give it a push bubble from underneath rather than a fountain coming over the top level.

So with the water holding I emptied some out and trimmed the pipe down.

The biggest test now and that’s to start filling the pond.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Chapter 13 day 44 contd

After two hours so far so good, it seems to be holding though I am not optimistic about there being any water left by tomorrow morning. If that’s the case its going to be a start again job.

But as of now, I am very pleased with it, looks great and it sounds great :) …..only trouble is I keep wanting to go for a piss.

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

1 (2).jpg

1 (4).jpg
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Chapter 13 day 45

Another set back this morning. The pond has lost 100mm of water over night. :( I did predict this as during the day yesterday it was losing 10mm over two hours.

There isn’t much evidence of water penetrating the walls, there is some however but I think a lot is being absorbed through the render and into the bricks. I do know from when I was building that three bricks in a bucket of water can soak up all the water very quickly.

Its possible a lot of water is dissipating through the bricks and possibly seeping through the footings.

So the wall tiling solution is back in my mind.

Wasus professional opinion this time is that I should wait for three days because she thinks the bricks will get to a saturation point where they can hold no more water. :roll: :lol:

For today I will just monitor water loss.

Having topped up again at 8am, by 5pm the level had dropped about 50mm so at the same rate as yesterday.

I have filled up again tonight at 7pm, this time to a higher level so I will see if it drops lower than my expected 70mm by tomorrow morning.

We had a work schedule meeting the morning so she wanted to know which jobs were next.

I thought I was on the home straight until I start preparing a list. Wasu wants to know what if any of the work I am prepared to pass on to others….. :?

My answers started as a “not sure really” to “none of it, I will try to do myself, it saves money arguments and stress”

In order of priority, the pond walls need addressing and I also have two walls at the spa to replace all the insect eaten bamboo with new bamboo. Its been outside for 6 years and is looking tired, dirty, rotten and embarrassing. I don’t want to do the job myself but Wasu thinks its easy for me.

After that I have the soil to organize for the planters and also the pavings and gravel for the front area.

Then the big job; start renovating the old timber house and first job there is to timber clad all the back side over the existing windows which have been letting in rain and termites to enjoy my mdf wall linings.

I have given myself a target of 4 months to get the front tidied up and the old house in a fit condition to be ready to accept guests.

Guests!!! :shock:

Got to keep chasing the next dream :wink:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Chapter 13 day 46

I have a wave of depression over me today, not least because the water loss from the pond will not go away and I need to go back to my original plan, which was to tile the walls. :(

Why do I let Wasu try and influence me when it comes to construction??? Just to appear amenable I suppose. Instead its cost me 500bt and three wasted days spraying and sealing everywhere to no avail.

Its not just the water loss that is worrying me; it’s a number of things but my internet self diagnosis is spelling out low testosterone levels for starters.

I have a loss of libido, well general loss of interest in that department; :( I am working every day physically and I am doing high performance exercise when I am not. My day consists of two bottles of beer; one at around 4pm and one around 9pm and this has been a regular occurrence for certainly the last 2 years.

On top of that there is the stress of marital upsets, minor ones every month and major ones it seems 3 times a year and then there is the old favourite…money; we all need it and I just worry about the one source; the spa.

Having just about got the marriage back in a direction we are both going I don’t want Wasu looking elsewhere because I am showing no interest.

I certainly don’t want it to be low T otherwise I am on a downward slope and just hope its all been psychological with relationship upsets; the daily physical fatigue and the two beers every day. :?

I am about due for my annual hospital check up but perhaps I could just go and have some blood tests done to see what if anything is untoward.

I have cut the beers form 2 to 1 almost instantly and I am not doing the heavy work that I was doing since December, building walls and rendering so lets see if anything changes :|

So today I emptied the pond; I am not waiting three days to see if it will hold. Its losing 50 litres every 2 hours. In 30 hours its empty.

I called at Global and bought 5m2 of tiles, enough just to do one row all the way around the perimeter and a bag of high quality weber waterproof adhesive. Another 1100bt spent…. :roll:

Fortunately I have found some piss cheap tiles in the same pattern as the bubbler pots, black with white specks. :)

Tomorrow its time to make a start tiling it.
eyecatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand