House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: MGV12, pattayapope

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:09 pm

Chapter 13 day 16

It’s a big Buddha day today; Visacha Bucha day and Wasu has volunteered with her two friends to offer food and drinks to the local villagers as a merit awarding enterprise.

Its being organized in the local temple so there will be about 30 different stalls all giving away any manner of stuff.
After her shopping trip to Makro yesterday she was up at 6.30 boiling bal fruit juice, making green tea and preparing to cart everything off including two very large water melons to the temple for a 9am start.

I said I would have a walk around to see them but also take advantage of the freebie giveaways.

So girls out of the way I finished the pump sump and then made an effort to level out the pond base.

DSC_0530_01.JPG

DSC_0531_01.JPG

An hour later I decided to go and see what the girls were up to.

The temple grounds were very busy; everyone doing their thing whether it be doing the Buddha thing, offering food to monks or simply just lounging about stuffing their faces with free grub and drink

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0540.JPG

DSC_0541.JPG

DSC_0542.JPG

I couldn’t find the girls initially; in fact the first time I saw them they literally walked in front of me carrying a large plate of produce and were on their way into the temple to see the monks

DSC_0534.JPG

“come on, get a tray and follow us”

“No, its not my scene and I don’t want to be leaving my shoes on top of a pile of 200 pairs already.” :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Chapter 13 day 16 contd

I found a chair and sat behind the girls stall and enjoyed some muu tod and sticky rice and some of Wasus bal fruit juice.

DSC_0544.JPG

An old lass approached me

DSC_0546.JPG

“oh…kao neo…you can eat it?”

I mean who can’t eat sticky rice? Its not laced with chilly powder is it

“yes I can eat sticky rice, no promprem”

It was a pretty good show actually. Wasus water melon was a real hit, I as helping to load the cups with it but we couldn’t keep up. It was a nice gesture for everyone and there wasn’t one sign of greed at all. No one was stocking up for a party, it was lovely in fact. :)

I asked where the beer tent was and was frowned upon immediately. :lol: I would have really appreciated a free beer but alas, Buddha day and no alcohol so it was fortunate that I had already thought ahead yesterday and stocked up on an extra two bottles for today. :)

I returned home and prepared for a pond drain outlet. I found some 1 inch pipe offcuts from my water tank installation and knocked a hole through the double wall with firstly a masonry drill and then a two inch scaffold pole.
Surprisingly it was almost a perfect circle. My blue pipe fitted snuggly and then it was jointed in. :)

DSC_0559.JPG

I will fit a ball valve to outside in due course and maybe have a spare length of pipe to direct it across the drive….or I could bury a pipe and plumb it into something bigger or just send it to the big fruit tree. :?

Final task today because I have just about used up all my sand to fix a few angle beads. With the sand left I made a strong mix just to set up the first of many angle beads. It’s a start and lots more to go but a short day yet again.

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0550.JPG

Wasu had returned home before I was finished. Her temple merit giveaway was a success and deserved a well earned rest……………..but instead she decided to do all the washing????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Chapter 13 day 17

I have been messing with corner beads today. I say messing because I can’t seem to find the right mix to fix them. :( I just wished I had some q con adhesive left; that was perfect.
I have a feeling the Thais use almost a pure cement mix but it doesn’t last 10 minutes before its gone off. Add sand to it and its doesn’t want to stick.

DSC_0561.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

DSC_0563.JPG

It doesn’t make it any easier trying to stick to porous red bricks but after setting out the full perimeter of the fist planter I decided to make a mix and render the top.

DSC_0564.JPG

DSC_0565.JPG

DSC_0566.JPG

1 (3).jpg

I am rushing yes because I think tomorrow every single bead will be loose after drying out.

I bought these render beads from a different place, same price but not as strong and not as deep so now my render thickness is almost nothing it seems.

I am tempted to go an buy the q con render for the walls. It mixed so nice and trowelled on perfectly and doesn’t go off as quick.

I will use up the sand and cement first on the planters and see how it performs but so far its just too harsh.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Chapter 13 day 18

We had a nice steady downpour at 6am so that meant all my bricks were nicely soaked and bode well for a mornings rendering. :)

My render mix today was much better and the fact that it was cloudy meant my render was still workable after applying for a good 90 minutes.

Seven small panels completed this morning and a reasonable standard but I still cant get it perfect despite my best efforts. It either dries too quick or I add a bit more to places and it shows, but hey we are on our way and will press on a bit further tomorrow.

DSC_0567.JPG

DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0569.JPG

DSC_0570.JPG

DSC_0571.JPG

DSC_0572.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

I inadvertently put the mockers on my mum ever coming to stay. Last night I was talking to her about what our plans are for the old house and she thought it was a good idea but renta gob here thought it funny to mention my window diy and the mouse. :oops:

Of course if there is anything that puts the fear of hell into her its “anything vermin” :cry:

The fact that we had a mouse is enough to put her off but I told her not to worry as the snakes usually take care of them! :wink:

I was also reminded that it was one year to the day when we went to England. Time flies doesn’t it. it doesn’t seem a year since I was last there, seeing mum, brother, sons.

Wasus friend who we went to see at Aberystwith also a year ago will be coming to see us in two days;….I remember that hotel, it had a bath, I think I reported it was over 6 years since I last had a bath….now its back to just one year since! :lol:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Chapter 13 day 19

I have had a weekend of rendering and setting out corner beads. Its not been too bad because we have had a few days of rain and the mornings have been cool and and cloudy. When the sun is out the render will dry in 5 minutes, when its cloudy sometimes taken an hour to dry.

I have made two trips to collect sand and cement. The lady I go to for sand and cement is the none too clever one. I am sometimes a bit dubious of her mental arithmetic off the cuff when taking my money; but maybe she can easily calculate sand at 30bt or 35bt. Its when cement is 90bt or 115bt that complications set in.

The first trip I bought 4 sand and one cement, it should have been about 240bt but the change she gave me looked like I got two bags of sand for free.

I mean I did say “see” but she was nattering with another customer so well done that man! :wink:

DSC_0574.JPG

DSC_0575.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

After the performance with the mouse I spotted another small mouse in the main room of the house. Wasu had spent some time tidying up, shoving boxes of stuff into corners as you do. Of course where does the mouse want to run…..behind the boxes. :shock:

We chased the mouse around the room with a brush by which time almost everything on the floor was now on the bed. :lol:

Was it the same mouse? Was it different I don’t know.

It was a tom and jerry caper but finally managed to trap the thing with a pink mop.

“where are you?

“Down here”

“Ok I have got it, can you come and take it quick”

Wasu arrived with a towel and caught it and like the first one, launched it over the back wall.

The following morning I checked again….there it was (or maybe another?) asleep on the floor of the shower. It scurried off into the drain behind the partition wall and I decided to throw in some pink pellets and close the door.

We have Wasus friend coming tomorrow so I need to fit an emergency pain of glass until we decide how to deal with the window.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Chapter 13 day 20 + 21

Another two days slide by. One was blazing temperatures the next an English autumn, rain, stop start for 12 hours.

My first day rendering was nice, good progress but today raining. I thought I would get up early and take advantage of the cool weather.

My first panel was rendered and then moved to the next. The rain started again but I wasn’t bothered I had moved to a panel out of the rain.

Sadly when I can back to re finish the first panel quite a lot of it had been washed off in the rain. :cry:

Hahaha, no worries. It was a lesson learned I suppose and after rubbing it up I covered it with the plastic screening.

DSC_0579.JPG

My pond is already starting it seems. The sub base concrete slab either wasn’t flat or they had slightly created a fall; I suspect the latter really so now I have built walls around the water is already collecting.

The rendering cement is completely different to standard cement in that it has a creamy texture and I reckon has a good helping of lime to make it sticky. Standard cement doesn’t really mix well with the sand for render; mortar yes its ok but it has no stick and dries out far too quickly.

DSC_0580.JPG

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

DSC_0583.JPG

The pier bases that were done by an old rendering crew were a bit of a mess in that they were all over the place. Not one side square, not one face flat so after building the new walls I decided to plant on some more corner beads and start again. just the tops set out today; the rest will follow.
eyecatcher

Previous

Return to Life in Thailand