House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby eyecatcher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Down but not out they say. :wink:

When it was “suggested” that my story no longer focuses on building and is more “Life in Thailand” it was a bit of a blow to say the least. After all the building story threads are the one that attracts people to this website. <It has always been the forum's policy to keep building stories as clear of off-topic comment/content as possible. Plenty of other places to post non-building stories - mod>

And now, time moves on and I have a growing back catalogue of trips, stress, more building, more everything.

Feel free to chip in, but don’t chip in about construction advice. After the event advice is great for next time but that’s why I never asked for advice previously…. got it of course and was then criticised for not acting upon it. Its not easy to amend something in the foundations when the wall is already built! :shock:

Ok so its been a long time since this sub forum had any interest and that’s where I intend to change that. Blowing a trumpet…hell yes I am :lol:

Oh….for the prequel to this thread you need to follow the original thread which has been nicely linked by the moderator. :)

The last time I posted I was taking a rest day in Chiang Khong before a long cycle ride back to Chiang Rai.

What better place to start this story……..thats right; in the middle :lol:
eyecatcher

Re: House Extension to "Baan Thai"….what happened next?

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 pm

Not commenting but sure following every move of that cranky Britton fellow..
Keep going, I enjoy the side roads you're taking as much as the technical building stuff..
And that's from a Thames conquering Dutch..
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Chapter 12 day 21

1.jpg

1 (3).jpg

Its our final day and we want to get back to catch a 5.30 bus. I had been forewarned its normally a 9hr ride including stops so our 8am start meant we had to push it quite hard.

The later bus of 7.30 was already fully booked so we motored on.

The route was indeed very flat apart from a few rolling hills which were not a problem and the rest day had certainly recharged the batteries. We were moving at high twenties kmph and very easily.

The scenery was a nice follow on from the last three stages and continued with stunning views, river views, low valley clouds and very little traffic. :)

1 (8).jpg

1 (9).jpg

1 (10).jpg

1 (11).jpg

1 (13).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Chapter 12 day 21 contd

1 (14).jpg

1 (15).jpg

1 (16).jpg

1 (17).jpg

1 (18).jpg

1 (19).jpg

1 (20).jpg

We were nicely into Chiang Rai by 3.30 and headed to the bus station to see if we could get a seat.

And we did, the last two seats, 166bt. :) It made our 150bt ride in a songthaew for 30km look extortionate but this bus ride was another 180km so good value.

After a days ride we needed a shower and change back into some civvy gear for the ride back so rather than pay for a room for an hour just for a shower we blagged our way into just using a shower in a local guesthouse

“hello, we have just cycled all day and now very tired……would it be possible if we can use one of your showers and get changed….we will pay you of course, what ever you think reasonable"

The lady was flummoxed, she had never been asked that question before. She was umming,and arghing and thinking

“just two of you?" :?

“Yes”

“Just a shower and that’s all” (why what else is on offer? :wink: )

“Yes, is that ok?”

“Ok…50bt each?”

“Lovely, thankyou”

My mate had done this before at different residences but had actually taken the room for 1 hour for a price of 100bt.

We don’t have time for that now so a pleasant conversation with the owner of this small hostel while I waited my turn and then we had a feed and a couple of beers. :)

At the bus station we put the bikes in the baggage compartment for 50bt! each and we were soon heading back to Chiang Mai. :)

A great 6 day trip covering 500km and I would recommend it to anyone with a reasonable fitness level and a decent bike of course. failing that, the trip would be equally spectacular but less arduous on a motor bike.

Now I need to think about about my next diy task at home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Chapter 12 day 22 +23

I have had a couple of days to wind down and recuperate, household shopping and also two half days at the spa on maintenance! Leaking taps and waste pipes, replacing bulbs and the biggy, Wasus plan for me to really make use of my new toy. :roll:

She wants me to reconfigure the steel curtain rails in our Thai massage room from three curtain divisions to four. It was always set out for three but after only 6 months we realized we needed an extra bed so now they are not set out correctly; and have been like this 6 years. :roll:

Our predecessor also had 3 steel massage beds made up but from day one they were the wrong bloody size. The first concern…and I am going back to 2011, was that the beds were too low, maybe great for pulling the turkeys neck :shock: but our therapists refused to work on them (the beds not the turkeys neck) as they got backache so I seconded Thongs help at the time by raising each of the legs by 100mm.

The other problem which we have tolerated for 6 years is that the oil massage mattress is a standard 800mm wide and whoever ballsed up the steel bed spec made them 700 wide. Probably expecting all his gay customers to be shortlegged waif like chopsticks.

Sorry but customers now are fat ckufers and they need 800mm wide tables. The result now is the mattress is unsupported around all edges…and has been for 6 years!!

Wasus plan is that I burn on an extra 50mm around all sides incorporating an angle so the mattress doesn’t slide.

It’s a challenge just to get the steel to the spa, it’s a challenge to prevent the wooden floors burning and it’s a challenge to find a time when I can have free reign of the room for at least two full days…and that’s likely to be during a Songran shutdown.

I think Wasu is ready for another 3 year lease, only 2 months ago she wanted to sell because she is tired and bored. I convinced her that our 70k a month income should not just be dismissed like that no matter how many hours we have to stay open. :)
Fine, if she wants to go and get a different job she can but despite poor tourism since last May some income will be better than nothing even if the rent is doubled and customers grow fewer.

I had forgotten about Valentines month and I had neglected keeping the website up to date with our monthly promotions, something I addressed religiously since we opened never missing a month to advertise something.

A trip to Global on the way back home to check out how much her spa ideas are going to cost. I think we will be running with my idea on this one….WOOD!

1 (2).jpg

1 (3).jpg

1 (4).jpg

1 (5).jpg

I am still a bit unsure as to the next task; it really should be the 25m long boundary wall agin twat (Yorkshire slang of course :lol: ) lawyers yard as that’s the worst one and the one I want to close up.

There really is no sense in thinking about a lawn and trees before the messy building work is out of the way.

I will start tomorrow on a small task I have been meaning to do for ages. The covering up of the roof tiles on the link roof.
Myself and Thong replaced a boatload of tiles on this small 1.3m wide shallow pitched roof but a severe downpour still results in drips here and here and there. Short of re tiling it with sarking under the next easiest option is to cover it up.

I have looked at polythene sheet and its going to cost a minimum of 600 baht to do the 8m run but its not going to be seen so I have planned to make a second use out of the vinyl roof canopy we originally had over the decking.

It’s a proper bodgit and scarper job coming up. :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:18 pm

Chapter 12 day 24

Right! Off we go again gently easing back into a working habit.

Today I am going to attempt to waterproof the small lean to link roof. I have been moving this old roof canopy around the garden and house for two years now.

Its 4.5m long and the vinyl was 3m wide rolled up….so it was heavy. I have used it as a temporary rain canopy at the back to mitigate further rain damage on the timber deck but today it gets a new lease of life. :)

The tiled roof is about 1.1m wide and with a 100m upstand and 100m overhang into the gutter I will cut it along the full length at 1.3 wide.

After removing the rusted up c.h.s tube I had plenty left to continue to full length of the roof.

DSC_0258.JPG

Both pieces were manipulated into position and held in place with a few screws into the old fascia board. This was eventually retained in place more securely with some of the shera wood ceiling cladding that I had asked the ceiling team to remove for whatever reason…there were dozens of reasons at the time.

DSC_0259.JPG

DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0261.JPG

I cut the vinyl at the two hips and just used some spare flashband tape to stick down some of the edges. Some more pieces I used under the eaves to minimize any loose edges that could eventually attract the wind. I don’t really want to be going back up after a high wind to do the job again..but time will tell.

As I said a bit of a bodgit job but lets see how it performs.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Chapter 12 day 24 contd

A secondary job I had wanted to do was to fit a piece of glass into the void created to maintain a view. It’s a poor detail really…(hands up, yep my design error) and we realised last rain season that rain in a certain direction now bounces off my zinc sheet…or rather deflects off and actually hits the stairs to the kitchen!

DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

I had hoped that one of the off cuts from the windows team would fit but it’s a long shot. :?
Long shot indeed to find a piece 16 inch x 29 inch. I only have about 7 off cuts, most were the same…..but…hello! this looks promising. :)

DSC_0264.JPG

I measured it…16.5in x 29in woo woo hoo! :)

I offered it up and it was tight. My zinc bottom was not even level, the cladding at the top was also on the piss and no way would it fit vertically despite it being the exact perfect length.

With a bit of pressure on the cladding boards they moved enough for me to force the glass into the recess between two boards. It was not vertical but it was in, it was tight, and it looked ok.

DSC_0265.JPG

It was never going to fall out and I probably couldn’t ever get it out so I siliconed it in just for the satisfaction of saying I fit the glass and siliconed it in.

DSC_0268.JPG

Pretty pleased with that…as they say that was more luck than management…..though Wasu is going to say I didn’t clean it well enough beforehand. :(

I think boundary wall next. Wasu thought it a good idea to start removing the old boards so dicksplash is forewarned that I will be decimating his boundary line. I suggested she go to see him and ask for 50% of the cost but I have more chance of getting pregnant I think. :wink:
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Mon May 01, 2017 5:44 pm

Chapter 12 day 25

I am going to ease into the next task gently simply because I need to get back on court this afternoon. :)

I will tackle the long side boundary wall now. For whatever reason I have always thought this wall was 25m long but I measured it today and its 31m long. :shock:

DSC_0269.JPG

DSC_0270.JPG

So it seems all my estimates for the cost of this wall are completely wrong, well 20% out I guess. :(

DSC_0272.JPG

I started by unscrewing the shera boards. I could simply put my foot through them and have the whole fence cleared in two hours but I want to salvage some of the longest boards if I can to reuse as shuttering for the footing.

After 2 hours I had removed about a third of the run, without much effort really.

DSC_0271.JPG

The timber rails were very much under attack by termites and a lot of the screws were simply loose. Its not a wise decision to leave an untreated timber fence outside.

I mentioned before that we had the pest company visit every month and spray just the fence but it was a waste of money and despite their slack efforts this fence to my knowledge has been up a maximum of 4 years and now its useless as a fence.

Today was just a continuation of yesterdays morning start. I remembered I have a battery drill and started to use it. I do like the feel of a traditional screwdriver but not the blisters an hour later. The electric driver took the strain out of the job but nevertheless it took me all day to finally remove all the boards and stack them up.

DSC_0274.JPG

DSC_0276.JPG

All the termite eaten rails bar about 6 rails were put on the bonfire and I need to get that firing up but neighbours both sides have this habit of leaving their washing out all day when 30 minutes will suffice. :roll:

At 6pm its a sorry but I am getting the fire going and they can do what they want. That pile contains a million termites and ants and I want to exterminate them.

1.jpg

Good day but tomorrow I have to try and remove 10 old wooden posts and that’s going to be a toil. :(
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed May 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Chapter 12 day 26

Toil indeedee!

It took me all afternoon to remove two posts and the third is dangling by its balls but its too heavy for me to lift out vertically.
I thought after removing post 1 that took 45 mins that the rest would be the same. The second post, much thinner I had out in 15 minutes but then this beast was next. :(

200x200 post 2m long; and I know from the previous two that its buried 400mm. Two hours I struggled, digging out spoil filling the hole with water, throwing the post about. It was loose but to bear hug it and do a knee grip at the same time was taking skin from my forearms. :cry:

In the end I was too knackered to continue and will have another attempt tomorrow.

But before all that I was elsewhere. In hindsight it was a blessing as this morning I wasn't feeling the aching muscles. I can say honestly riding 500km on the bike was easier than the effort to remove these posts…..well going by sweat levels.

Another errand to the spa first thing as Wasu has said one of the outside celiing cladding boards had fallen off. She asked me to come and refix it and with a handful of screws and the driver I thought I was tooled up for a 15 minute job. :)

It transpired that the cladding boards were fixed to timber bearers which in turn were fixed to a steel roof framework.

The timber bearers had been "termi-tated" and there was nothing left of them. :( The cladding boards were also wood and they too were being devoured from the hidden side.

The job now is ten fold, really it all needs replacing but the boards appear to run through to the neighbours each side in 2m lengths.
All I can do now is to try and fix to the steel which means different screws, different tools, extension leads but my idea is to make some new timbers and trap the board ends onto the steel. That’s three timber bearers running perp to the boards.

I will gear up for an early morning dash in a couple of days me thinks.....becasue I want to get home and start removing some posts....

back to front days; thats how I live :)
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Chapter 12 day 27

I had the duty to go with Wasu to Nan s house this morning. There was some village festival that had been going on all weekend but we had missed it……prayers answered. :)

Instead I was having a good old nosey at the appalling standards of workmanship on he new house and reminded myself how lucky we were to bin everyone off in the early days. :)

It was just 6 weeks ago when they had the foundation ceremony but today they were spouting on that it would be finished in a month.

DSC_0277.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

A month yes, but a tall order me thinks.

The roof is on, the internal walls are built, and the first fix electrics are in.

DSC_0280.JPG

DSC_0282.JPG

First impressions…well as you would expect. All brickwork, not a block on site. 100mm bricks built on their ends giving a wall thickness of 50/60mm. of course they didn’t need to but they have chased out for all the electric conduits and standing from the outside you can see every electric conduit and you can see right through the house to the trees at the back. :shock:

DSC_0278.JPG

There are door frame legs which are buried in the concrete already and when they add another couple of inch for floor tiles those doors heads will be low and the doors will need to be butchered. :roll:

DSC_0285.JPG

DSC_0286.JPG
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Wed May 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Chapter 12 day 27 contd

DSC_0287.JPG

Window openings are not even lined through and today they were trying to fill in almost 3 inch of sill and head to set up a corner bead. In fact it was feasible for them to wall another brick on the sill quicker than packing with gobbo.

DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0284.JPG

A couple of the windows had very obviously been salvaged from somewhere and cut in half to create two smaller windows. Well its not often you seen a window reveal mid rail running down a jamb.

“just stop interfering, its not our house” :evil: wasu said

"I haven’t said a word, I am just observing….here come and look at this; it reminds me we need to call and get some bananas on the way back" :wink:

DSC_0279.JPG

"It’s a big house, far too big and it’s poorly designed with a lot of wasted space. Anyway I hope she has budgeted for aircon because its going to be like an oven in there with all those bricks…she has been robbed by her own family and its not going to bring her happiness." :?

“Don’t be silly..” :evil:

It was another 3 hours struggling with the next post. Infact I gave up trying to get it out as it seemed to solid with concrete and I was getting tired throwing a 5lb hammer onto a 3 foot chisel.

I decided to try and cut it off. Unfortunately the alligator saw was borrowed back by Thong a few months ago and that would have made short work of it. instead I tried the circular saw but difficult and dangerous, I tried the big machete but after the father in law had sharpened them to a Gillette razor blade they were now blunt. :(

In the end I used the circular and then did a Bruce Lee flying kick and the post broke off. The next hour I was chopping and splintering away. Hardwood it was….too bloody right it was. :(

DSC_0291.JPG

Final task to get the post out from yesterday. I knew the only way was to excavate more mud until I could stand on the end and see saw it out.

At last it gave up its resistance. :D

DSC_0290.JPG

Just 4 more to go….I might just try the circular saw to start with.
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 pm

Chapter 12 day 28

I felt like I wasted a day of my life today and its all about having the right tools for the job. Diy is a pissball if you have the proper tools.

Today I was on post 5. :?

Each post has been getting harder and harder to remove and I think that’s because where I started was originally the last posts to be installed so they were running out of concrete, using it more sparingly.

Todays post was a bastard, and that’s swearing. :shock: That alligator saw would have taken the post off in 5 minutes but instead I spent 6 hours at it trying to break out the concrete around the post, then resigning myself to cutting it off.

My two saws were as sharp as Thai tradesmen….not very; :wink: so they were useless, I then resorted to using the circular saw but again access was difficult around the post. The post was at the closest point to the boundary from the house so I couldn’t even swing a hammer at the post. :(

After 3 hours I sent Wasu a message to say I still haven’t got the post off and her reply ....
“can be whole day” ugh? Does that mean there is no rush or what?

I sharpened the machetes, but the hardwood posts didn’t want to know. Last resort since I was aching all over was to get the drill out and flat bit it all the way around with a 22mm.

This did bring me some success and with more chopping and hammering it gave up and snapped off. :)

DSC_0292.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

I have what I think will be an easy post left and the two corner end posts which look to be the best two posts; nice and square, though I may leave the one at the front as its retaining the front fence.

I told her I finally get the post out but don’t even have the energy to rest and lift a glass of beer but she said “worth it for a beautiful wall” :lol:

You see these Thai women can be "pak wan" also

Two days ago I thought I would be ordering my posts and concrete but its looking more likely to be a week later before I am ready. :(
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri May 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Chapter 12 day 29

Whatever happened to my body yesterday I have been suffering today. Physically I didn’t surface until after 10, pretty much unknown for me since I was 14 I reckon.
On top of that I had a pain in my stomach…and on top of that it was Wasus day off so we planned to go out for the day.
We returned to the Sala Cafe for lunch which was a nice and relaxing way of spending an hour or so.

1.jpg

1 (1).jpg

1 (5).jpg

1 (7).jpg

1 (8).jpg

1 (9).jpg

1 (10).jpg
eyecatcher

Postby eyecatcher » Fri May 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Chapter 12 day 29 contd

1 (12).jpg

1 (13).jpg

We followed that with a 38km drive around 300 bends on the mountain road. Of course Wasu suffers from car sickness so trying to drive around hairpin bends and the fast straights at a steadyl 40kmph was trying.

We both agreed next stop for a beer, and of course we were tempted by food again simply because it was a nice place and it was cheap.

1 (14).jpg

1 (15).jpg

My stomach pain returned, an awful ache, like someone stabbed me. I have been trying to piece together what I have eaten and can only put it down to some leftover laab muu that I added to two more chillies and made myself a spaghetti concoction last night.

24 hours on I am still getting these pains return every hour that is causing me to go and lie down.....I wasnt even able to finish the beer and food

1 (16).jpg

1 (19).jpg

It could simply be aggravated stomach/diaphragm muscles after yesterdays toil trying to remove fence posts.

Who knows…but I may just mention to Wasu where my last will and testament is just incase I don’t wake up tomorrow. :(
eyecatcher

Postby schuimpge » Fri May 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Ruptured appendix?
schuimpge

Next

Return to Life in Thailand