Solidarity between "farangs"

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Solidarity between "farangs"

Postby Sunpax » Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 am

I am here now for some years...and i still don't understand why is no solidarity between farangs living in the same area !

Its really something that let me bitter and "sad"

Somtimes when I speak with other farangs people ..I see that they are almost happy when something goes wrong for the others...i know its the suppose human way...but far away from our country ..why is it not more evident to get help from "neighbourgs"...?

well i don't wait for nothing ! but sometimes make me feel alone !

Its a jungle that my mind can fight but not my heart ! :roll:
Sunpax

Re: Solidarity between "farangs"

Postby fredlk » Thu May 02, 2013 10:34 am

Sunpax wrote:I am here now for some years...and i still don't understand why is no solidarity between farangs living in the same area !

Its really something that let me bitter and "sad"

Somtimes when I speak with other farangs people ..I see that they are almost happy when something goes wrong for the others...i know its the suppose human way...but far away from our country ..why is it not more evident to get help from "neighbourgs"...?

well i don't wait for nothing ! but sometimes make me feel alone !

Its a jungle that my mind can fight but not my heart ! :roll:

It's a two-way street.
fredlk

Postby Galee » Thu May 02, 2013 10:38 am

Not always the case sunpax. On Tuesday I did a 550klm round trip to rescue a neighbour who's motorbike had broken down.
Galee

Postby Sunpax » Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am

Fred, i help already 4 people here ! not many but !

Galee , you brave !

where i live is not so many "Farangs" why maybe is more suprising !

..and because i don't ask for help first !

an other way... if I knew some member here ,in my area needing for help i will do my best !

maybe nobody like me ! or don't care about an old farang woman !!!

I get some friends here but they are out of construction work or never need any workers ...they almost all renters...or they buy houses already made !
Sunpax

Postby MGV12 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:51 am

I am lucky in so far as I have some very close and sociable Farang friends ... however in general terms I don't totally disagree with the OP.

When I am out and about locally and see a Farang I always look to make eye contact and nod or smile ... constantly surprises me how many appear to go out their way to avoid any contact; I do use a brand-name deodorant :lol: That's with or without my lovely partner ... Thai ladies seem to do the same as those Farangs when she is with me ... on my own it's generally the opposite. 8) .... :wink: My next door neighbour is Farang and I have stopped by a few times when he has been out front and we have chatted cordially, met his Thai wife and she seems very nice ... however ... neither of them have invited me/us in to see their new palace nor dropped by to see us ... or even met my lovely lady. Beats me! I do live off the well-beaten path and those who live in similar areas are those I am referring to. No doubt they have their reasons.

I have spoken with a number of Farang over the years who say they didn't come here to mix with foreigners!!!! Seriously. Two Europeans in particular who will go out of their way to avoid those from their own country ... even if they don't look like plain-clothed police officers :lol:

I am talking about those who appear to be here long term ... not tourists ... or those long-stayers who hang around the bars in tourist areas.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Thu May 02, 2013 1:01 pm

I think it comes down to individual personalities , some people are more social than others in life. I have a sister 80yrs old who never ever phones me or visits, I am the one who has to do that and she would not complain if I didn't ,she has always been a "Loner", quite happy all of her life. My brother is the same as me, needs company and if I don't contact him for more than a week, he complains to every one . I had no problem all of my life , in the Army, in the Migrant hostel when first arrived in Australia, eating Hostel food or living in crowded accommodation . I thrived on it but my ex wife hated it and couldn't get out of it quick enough. I think it's called being Gregarious!
Mike Judd

Postby Tommy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Happy to make friends with anyone willing to be friends. Hasn't met any yet thou. But I did surprised a Canadian the other day when I just greeted him. "Scuttled" off as fast as he could =.=
Tommy

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:51 pm

When I arrived in Singapore 15 years ago, there where basically 2 choices...find your own way or join 'the ... club' (fill in any country name on the dots.).
I sorted it out myself, ( did not like the snob-attitude of the clubs) and eventually found out that there's 2 groups of people. The ones that go out to pubs/bars, the ones that work as an expat and likely move on some time when the job's finished and you got the ones that settled down in the country and married a local, have a local job, etc.

The Expats and pubs/bars group are the ones that keep in touch with their home-country folks. They like social life and find that going out, being among other people, etc.
The 'Localized People' are far less sociable. They certainly don't look for meeting people and simply keep within their own small group of family and friends.
So if you are outside of Bangkok, rural Thailand...your chances of meeting a Farang who enjoys keeping in contact are just very small. Farangs that seek an active social life, simply won't move out of Bangkok, Pattaya or HuaHin. They group together, go out, meet new people. They build up a completely different social life compared to the localized group.

From what I read here, many of the people here are past retirement age. About 20 years older than I am. Currently I'm stil working, got a wife, son, live just outside Bangkok. Slowly moving away from the busy, noisy life in a big city. I still go out once in a while, but mostly, friends from Bangkok come over to my house in the weekends. Have food, drinks, enjoy talking. I see that as slowly 'migrating' to a more quiet life, but for me it does not mean I become less sociable. Some people do become more private, but as Mike said: That's each individual's personality.
schuimpge

Postby Shastadad » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:21 pm

The OP is correct in that it appears that most "farangs" here only want to socialize within their own circle. If married, then that circle will usually be made up of the farang spouses of the Thai wife's friends. If single it will be "acquaintances " made in bar's or other leisure activities

I think though that it is a result of the kind of people that are here for the long term. It really takes a different type of person to leave their home country , uproot themselves from everything that they are familiar with and leave friends and family to come and live in a foreign country. Add to that the age of most expats and you will find that it is more difficult to make friends when you are older, so many just don't do it or feel that it is no longer important

In addition the me versus them attitude that most farangs adopt when dealing with the Thais leaves you with a confrontational persona that is not conducive to making casual friends
Shastadad

Postby Tommy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 am

Not too sure which group Im supposed to put myself under if that's the case. I'm still relatively young compared to all in here.

In addition, I'm not here to retire just yet but here to restart life so I guess that kinda change the priorities.

Dun mind building a "social" life of sorts around friends of wife n her relatives but still, will be good to have a personal circle of friends of my own.

Just do not wish to be 100% dependent on wife or 100% "integrated" in so much so that I lose my own identity and just become "husband of xxx".
Tommy

Return to Life in Thailand