Thai humour

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Thai humour

Postby payebacs » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:40 am

Unless you understand the language very well I'm imagining quite a tough nut to crack. I've recently come up with a little joke of my own / play on words rather for when telling the time because as oppose to baai song mong, baai saam mong, baai sii mong, 1pm is baai ning mong OR just "baai mong" where the one can fall away. ie if there's no number after baai it's one. So I asked my girlfriend if the same principle applies to 7pm... ning tum. Can the one fall away and I call it tum mong I asked somewhat jokingly. And chow mong in the morning. And dtii mong at night. And she seemed to find it quite funny even if just because it sounded stupid. Chow mong, baai mong, tuum mong, dtii mong! For a brief while and even at times still now I do feel that I did get fairly close. One quite good source of trying to ascertain humour is from adverts on tv and there are a few interesting ones on you tube which seem not too far off from even my english humour so perhaps not at a total loss I'll be when my thai linguistic skills improve to tell some hopefully sidesplitting quips of my own. What are the chances? Any clues on humour?
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Re: Thai humour

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:56 am

payebacs,
There's an Australian/Thai bloke who teaches English in Thailand who has the Thai and farang audience in stitches the whole time and my wife and daughter watch him religiously. It's a good way to learn all the Thai slang, especially when you call another driver an esat quiy. Here's one of his shows on Asians speaking English and how they screw the pronunciations and also the words la. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5RxOrmSxw
Roger Ramjet

Postby payebacs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:17 am

That is enjoyable.. jeepla. I've learnt a lot of thai in one year so am greatly encouraged. just the basics but that's like a thousand percent up on last year so good going. I quite enjoy the thai accent when speaking english and wonder what it sounds like to a thai the other way round from a falang. Quite sophisticated perhaps or downright clumbsy and oafish!
payebacs

Postby geordie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:37 am

payebacs wrote:That is enjoyable.. jeepla. I've learnt a lot of thai in one year so am greatly encouraged. just the basics but that's like a thousand percent up on last year so good going. I quite enjoy the thai accent when speaking english and wonder what it sounds like to a thai the other way round from a falang. Quite sophisticated perhaps or downright clumbsy and oafish!

I would suggest maybe the clumbsy and oafish ?
The reasoning behind this is simple i get ribbed frequently about my "english" being a geordie with thirty odd years in london my accent has mellowed quite a bit
""mellowed" not gone but given the wife,s habbit of teaching me a phrase to speak to her mum or sister on the phone or even her friends it results in them cracking up with laughter not because of what i said but because i said it with a perfect thai accent my suggestion spen some time picking up a geordie accent ? unfortunately being a lazy swine i have learnt no thai :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby payebacs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 am

geordie wrote:I would suggest maybe the clumbsy and oafish ?
:lol: Oh okay! I had thought that perhaps for a minute one came across as being a very oh my word posh falang man sawatdiikrap I say, in fact best get out the umbrella for him sabai dii mai..? sabaii diiiiiiiiiiiiiii. and offer a cigar :) He is just so polite and cultured! But yes probably more like sabatdiiruahh aarr gerr and oh well, at least he's trying falang man. With humour I've read it's not easily possible to employ sarcasm in thai (if at all) because in sarcasm you say something like 'very good' but with a tone of voice that indicates that you don't mean it whereas in thai if you change the tone of voice it will in many instances change to the trained ear anyway the entire word or phrase itself to mean a completely different thing like a pot of rice for example say and so not so very good at all anyway. And so apparantly if you employ it even in english to say very good job honey well done in a manner sarcastic it will not be fully understood because why are you saying it's good if it wasn't. Or so I've read anyway.
payebacs

Return to Life in Thailand