Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Postby elgato » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Ians wrote:As an Aussie, I have never heard for Brooks baked beans - must be made for export only and as for the taste of Ayam being rather repulsive - can't agree.

brook beans.jpg

Manufactured by Ardmona, Shepparton, Victoria

I think Ayam brand is too sweet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Ians » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:44 pm

elgato wrote:
Ians wrote:As an Aussie, I have never heard for Brooks baked beans - must be made for export only and as for the taste of Ayam being rather repulsive - can't agree.

brook beans.jpg

Manufactured by Ardmona, Shepparton, Victoria

I agree about being a bit on the sweet side - see my first comments on Ayam. I will keep my eyes open for the Brooks brand.
Ians

Re: Geordie: Retarding in Thailand

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm

elgato wrote:

Cannot be denied ... as with anything manufactured in Thailand! The "No preservatives added" version does appear to have less sugar ... being aimed at the 'diet conscious' consumer.

For those fascinated by baked beans here is their website: http://www.ayambrand.net/eng/bb-range.html ... the homepage has some handy recipes for incorporating the high-fibre attributes of baked beans into delicious menus; in the opinion of the seller.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:11 pm

And to wander further down the geek trail .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baked_beans

Anyone raised in the UK will appreciate that there is only ONE version worthy of note in the whole wide world ... that being 'Heinz Baked Beans'.

However ... in all honesty this, like so many other prime brands, has undergone changes to the recipe that do not IMO improve it but simply make it cheaper to manufacture/last longer on the shelf/pour in a certain way from the can/look better on the plate; et al. Another example of 'improvements' which simply benefit the manufacturer but are injurious to the taste are those that the Mars Bar has undergone over the years.

Footnote: Air quality is extremely poor around Maejo currently so I am having to pop inside on a regular basis ....

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Managed to visit Makro today best find wiltshire streaky bacon got beans got egg got bacon got bread and butter "got breakfast" :D :D :D
Its the simple things that please :roll: :roll:
Decided there must be a pasionate hate for new cars so everyone wants secondhand stopped to look at a couple of cars and was amazed to be offered a four year old yaris at a bargain 600000 bht and looking at the car it had been a hard four years still it was in better condition than one offered in bkk for 550000 hope someone buy,s them but it will not be me do they really think that farrangs are that stupid ??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:59 pm

geordie wrote: Decided there must be a pasionate hate for new cars so everyone wants secondhand stopped to look at a couple of cars and was amazed to be offered a four year old yaris at a bargain 600000 bht and looking at the car it had been a hard four years still it was in better condition than one offered in bkk for 550000 hope someone buy,s them but it will not be me do they really think that farrangs are that stupid ??

All used cars are overpriced. After about 10 years they might drop to as low as 300,000 Baht but that's where they stay. For the couple of 100,000 Baht more you are always better off buying new unless like me you buy a car no Thai wants, like an Audi. If you want small and cheap, the Honda Brio is great and the Nissan March or Suzuki Swift are good cars and not expensive. New pickups start at about 500,000 Baht.
fredlk

Postby payebacs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:03 am

fredlk wrote:All used cars are overpriced.
It's the same in Africa Geordie, not sure why. My parents even considered buying used in the UK where prices seem to tumble the moment you roll down the drive to ship to themselves over there but settled for the small discount on a company owned car, from a company who rotate for new their company vehicles every 2 years. And at that price they can well afford to.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:26 am

The reason cars are overpriced here is simple; TAX. When you more than double the price of a car with all sorts of taxes there is a time period where the taxes are still being "absorbed" by the consumer. Used cars are still being "taxed" during their lifetime and so, inflates the price. When you buy a new car for say, 400,000 baht, 200,000 is in various taxes and as people resell the car they too want to recoup some of that tax they paid initially and so the cycle is repeated over and over for the life of the car. There is no simple solution as long as there are 100% taxes on cars.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:There is no simple solution as long as there are 100% taxes on cars.

Make that 200% ... but even so ... he is genuinely a rich Farang so ...... all part of the adjustment to the new life Geordie.

The only cheap thing in LOS is labour ... if you get what you pay for!

MGV12

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Ayam is crap....brooks just like spc....spc available also.

Found heinz spag bog with sausages...mmmmmm

Heinz soup....but expensive.

Cottage pies, steak pies, snags thick and thin, cumberland and others....pasties, sausage rolls...bacon....everything if you looksie.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Don,t worry bought a real bargain Toyota Hilux as in the Top Gear model originally imported from Japan torsion bar suspension 3 ltr 4 pot and auto minimum electronics :D :D
Full bed not a pansy open top boot
aircon electric windows
And one careful owner (the other 26 were Thai so well abused) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But it was cheeeeep :roll:
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 pm

geordie wrote: it was cheeeeep

Taorai? (How much?) and what year?
fredlk

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Them electric windows are all the rage now..
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby elgato » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Hope you have better luck with the power windows than you do with electronics! :lol:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:05 pm

elgato wrote:Hope you have better luck with the power windows than you do with electronics! :lol:

The drivers side works and thats the important one :lol: actually joking both of them work it has a few minor problems since the top gear team finished with it :roll: even though the wife was dissapointed it was not new and shiny ?? she knows i prefer older motors and she say she can always wear a balaclava so no one recognises her :lol: :lol: :lol: as the intention is to have a hack i can abuse it fits the bill perfect and if it gets a ding in the carpark i promise i will not cry the running gear i am familiar with i have the same engine and gearbox in my granvia the rest of it looks similar with the torsion bar suspension the same so at least if it breaks i will not be standing there scratching my head trying to figure out which bloody sensor failed (hopefully) it should not break too easy the aircon works a treat just have to figure out how to duct it out for the dogs when they travel with us
untill they are aclimatised Jasmine the oldest girl is not handling it well at all popcorn the other girl 2-1/2 is coping reasonably well the two boys run around barking at anything that move,s loving it then colapse in a heap worn out but they are not stupid they know where its cool to lay down so they wander off and have a snooze untill another session of bird /motorbike / pedestrian harrasment jasmine got introduced to a new species yesterday A Thai cat she walked over to the cat to have a sniff meaning no malice but the cat must have had previous dealings with dogs it stood its ground then swiped jasmine on the nose she then decided that the cat was going to be lunch it left in a hurry with four Jr,s close behind and jasmine with fur in her mouth from the cats tail as it ran up the wall so she did not lose out completely I will publish a picture of the heap when i figure out how to get around windows 7 ?? for reducing sizes as my old tecnique will not work
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand