Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Postby erikr69 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:29 am

congratulations o. the final deal being completed. have fun building now
erikr69

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:55 pm

IMG_0311.JPG
All the best Geordie on your move at last and your future build. Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:29 pm

got here dying with the heat bought a apple phone killed it and me with it got electric metal rim while charging and will charge no more :roll: :roll: :roll: not my fault :mrgreen:
had to bite the bullet on aircon 13000 btu mitubishi 19500bht the heat was too much for the dogs :wink: :wink:
have struggeled for days to get on internet otis has a plan :D :D :D :D :D :D about ten shops and all full gameplayers
i am strugling with a black keybord in the dark hopefully futerpark visit may sort that tommorow if apple can be revived
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby payebacs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Geordie, if as I understand it you’ve now retired to Thailand (congrats and all of the very best), will you be planning a build and will you be posting of any such build here. If you shall be I’ve just thought of a good thread name: Geordie’s Newcastle.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:19 am

Well thanks for the good wishes we are here initially for a couple of months to settle the dogs down and find a carer for them if there is such a person in thailand ! Someone who care,s ! and about dogs !!
As ever even the most basic things are a problem having to replace all the curtains in this house (RANGSIT) with the instalation of poles ? bought all the curtains got home and found Thais sell single curtains ?? so got half the curtains :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aircon No 2 was installed a mitsubishi again 18000 btu interestingly he called us and re-negotiated the price down from 40 to 29000bht but then he cried for the two hours it took to fit about it eating electricity :( :( so the wife is panic stricken about it being switched on :cry: :cry: :cry: But its there for when i need it and i have a couple of times used it as a fan :mrgreen: chucked it on super cool 16% and sat in front of it for ten mins to cool off Replaced all the { flood damaged goods}???? as there is actually no sign of water in the house her sister got people in for three days cleaning it unfortunately the w/machine fridge dvd copped it but luckily the rest of the stuff was moved upstairs :lol: :lol: :lol: and we had guests !! They actually thanked us so that i do beleive there was evidence of it
The day started out pretty standard had a shower bloody hot water as usual jumped on the bike nipped out to get some breakfast and got some crap in my eye :( so that was me off to the doctors
Strange lot the thais?? all i had was crap ! maybe even an eylash but no matter weight ???? blood pressure ?? Bee explained again he has crap in his eye :( no matter wighed in (down 2 kilo,s :D ) blood pressure ? yes got some of that ! now finally i get to see the Doctor so i am led into a room where a bloke/kid is sitting and i start with my favourite phrase :lol: speak English i no speak Thai ! He assured me in excellant English he understood me even with my northern accent :lol: So i ask when do i see the Doctor :? I am the Doctor was the reply I Should you not be at school i asked ! he smiled Then took a look at my eye and explaind that i have an infection :? :?
bloody good crap in my eye and one hour later an infection ?? He then wisely took me to another room with a bed in it and got his two rather nice nurses to attend me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: They unfortunately could not speak english so the wife joined them as an interpreter :( The nurses then started rushing around looking for what they could do to look professional between them they had a plan !! First they bunged cotton wool in my ear ?? then taped over it so now i am bolloxed blind in one eye and partially deaf ?? i mention this to the wife who dutifully translated to them the actual problem was MY BLOODY EYE the one that was bright red and streaming because something was scratching the hell out of my eye ball yes yes no problem ?? although i would argue that statement ! The the plan became more aparrent as a bowl was produced with more tape suposedly to make a funnel into the kidney bowl they had ?? Then with one of them holding the eylid open the other used the bottle of water which had a small nozzzle to jet wash my eyball and my wife translating look up down left right ?? having poured a ltre or so over my eye one of them realised the bowl should be full and was not so a discusion in Thai began about "soncran" wonderful as i lay in a pool of water so a full tube of cream was then applied to my now very sore eye which in fact glued it shut but no matter they stuck an eye patch over it anyway
Then came "check bill" at which point 4 different packets of pills were produced about ten or more pills in each packet and some really nice colours ??? Which actually made me wonder what was in the packets i had refused were they sweets ? ? I declined them on the basis that i was taking too many already but did discuss my current medication and the cost issue for when i run out and found it suprisingly bearable considering that i keep forgetting to take them anyway the heat is doing my back good about 800 bht a week should see me ok for pills
The bill for the doctors was a mild 300bht although i do have to suffer again tomorrow another jet wash pesumably ?? The real interesting bit was doing the shopping afterwards with an eye patch on a motorbike :mrgreen: i did get some funny looks ? bad enough being a farrang but a farrang on a motorbike with one eye covered :lol: :lol: :lol: they stayed well clear of me :mrgreen: lucky really i am almost totally blind in that eye or it could have been a problem i can see shadows so i miss the periphiral vision but hey i survived
although i have to say my other eye feels like its working overtime
geordie

Postby Ians » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:37 am

Luckily it was only a bit of crap in your eye and not something serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ians

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 am

Ians wrote:Luckily it was only a bit of crap in your eye and not something serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having a sense of humour i casually mentioned i was going shopping (told go lie down :( :( ) when he asked what was so important it could not wait i informed them i needed a parrot
I am still amazed/amused over the pills?? it explains why the MIL has a 4-5 hour trip to hospital monthly having her eyes checked ? for what exactly i cannot find out whenever i have had an eye problem its involved three visits !st consultancy 2nd for treatment (surgery three times) 3rd to take a look then bugger off for a few years?? but then i don,t have to give the doctor money (although i did pay a lot of money for two ops to speed things up) the follow up to me seems to be a quick count :mrgreen: of the eyes she has two ?? followed by a prescription for some pills (monthly) then check bill and off you go ! the pills are i think to reasure you that you actually needed to visit an must come back :roll: :roll: :roll: in her case monthly ? crap in my eye is requiring two visits ?? will see where it goe,s me refusing the pills has cut the profits :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 am

geordie wrote:me refusing the pills has cut the profits

Are you one hundred percent certain that your refusal is definitely not also slowing your recovery? :idea:

P.S. I also don't like the pills they always give, but I usually check to see if they are necessary or not. If, as you say, it was crap in your eye then the doctor might have given you pills to prevent an ecoli infection.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:13 am

Pattayapope,
I believe geordie has retired in Thailand, so shouldn't this thread be closed and locked for good? And the bunkum about the iPhone on another thread...if it was so hard to use how in the hell did he ring me in the early hours of the morning, at home, shortly after he arrived?????....and all that about a bung battery.... batteries will go flat when you talk nonstop on the phone for two hours, especially after you've played games on them all the way from England....sheesh.
Just lock the thread quietly Pope, I don't want geordie to become offended otherwise he'll never give me peace, nor anyone else for that matter. I wish the doctor had put patches on both eyes, that way we could be spared the agony of trying to make out what he had actually written, at times.....probably the medication again...sheesh.
I wish the quack had given him something for the crap in his mouth.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:23 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Pattayapope,
I believe geordie has retired in Thailand, so shouldn't this thread be closed and locked for good? And the bunkum about the iPhone on another thread...if it was so hard to use how in the hell did he ring me in the early hours of the morning, at home, shortly after he arrived?????....and all that about a bung battery.... batteries will go flat when you talk nonstop on the phone for two hours, especially after you've played games on them all the way from England....sheesh.
Just lock the thread quietly Pope, I don't want geordie to become offended otherwise he'll never give me peace, nor anyone else for that matter. I wish the doctor had put patches on both eyes, that way we could be spared the agony of trying to make out what he had actually written, at times.....probably the medication again...sheesh.
I wish the quack had given him something for the crap in his mouth.

It was 7am sunday morning did i know you took retirement so serious :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used my cheap charlie samsung that does damm all other than phone calls and i only talked 1-3/4 hours
I do not ever play bloody games on phones thats just sad given i had no charger!!unlikely i used it for anything although i did consider giving you the bloody thing to use as a doorstop to match the 2 you have :mrgreen:
I do have to admit the audio quality on the samsung is not great it make,s me sound like i have an accent :lol: :lol: :lol: that can be hard to understand
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I believe geordie has retired in Thailand, so shouldn't this thread be closed and locked for good? And the bunkum about the iPhone on another thread...

RR actually I was thinking about moving it the the "Friendly Banter" forum you two seem to enjoy the friendly exchanges[*] :roll:
pattayapope

Postby Ians » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:40 pm

geordie wrote:.............................. make,s me sound like i have an accent :lol: :lol: :lol: that can be hard to understand

What do you expect, if you speak real geordie no bugger will ever understand you.
Ians

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:44 am

Geordie, On a more serious note, I see you mention a back problem several times. Not knowing what type of a problem I.E. injury/ deceased spine or the more common complaint that we all suffer from at some time or other,just a painful back ! Having spent a life time of Physical work with the hardest being carrying dozens of 50lb counterweights up and along roofs to support Swing Stages, I have had my share of back problems. Digging in the garden is another way of bringing the pain back as well. After a particular bad spell which lasted 3-4 months, Doctors/ Chiropractors and finally a series of Acupuncture sessions, I bought a machine that you locked your feet into and pivoted upside down to stretch ones back, a simple way of getting the knuckles of your spine to come apart where it is pinching what ever nerve that is causing the pain. Years ago I believe they used to strap ones shoulders in a bed then some more straps to your feet over a pulley to a load of weights to get the knuckles apart.(Traction) When ever I get any back pain now, it's onto my machine and it's fixed. Plenty of my friends have come round to use it successfully as well. A simple way is to hang from any door jam by your hands, but upside down is more effective as the upper body is heavier than just your legs. Not knowing the exact problem you have , but it may be of some help. Mike.
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks mike the spine is degenerating so its a bone problem causing trapped nerve,s ect
The really good new is i am four or five times more active than i was in the uk the warm weather has dramatically improved things in that department there are a few other problems :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but again all less of an issue now i have escaped the cold and damp So far so good as they say :D :D :D
I did have a go in a giroscope a few years ago and that was both fun and benificial but the same as osteopaths
manipulating my back it on a list of things to avoid in case of further more permanent damage but four or five years ago it would have worked
my real problem is i keep doing stupid things that i should not and the payback can be three days to a month the last time
But to give an example of the difference november walked probably 1km and ended up in bed for a month :( now i can do that no problem ? i keep forgetting my pills so now have reduced them to less than half i was taking in the uk :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Every day i am walking probably 2 hours in airconditioned malls :roll: but i am also riding around on a motorbike daily
I know nothing is ""fixed"" but i certainly am enjoying life a hell of a lot more
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:02 am

Geordie as you said a few years ago it would have been easier to maybe fix. I did a great deal of research when I had my spell of constant pain for months and going everywhere to see Experts ! Doctors are usually my Favourites , " What's wrong" ? I tell him my back hurts all of the time, he checks me over, asks me what I have been doing lately, then tells me I have a bad back.! gives me some pills that he is promoting for some Pharmaceutical Co and says come back next week. As I said, I tried everything, right through to the upside down machine ,which did the trick. From what I could gather it's the rubber like pads in-between each knuckle that allows the flexing of the spine that gets squashed down , pinching the nerves. Pills do nothing for the problem, just dull the pain.(Which is great) Years ago I believe, apart from Traction, in severe cases it was a big operation and they fused the offending knuckle to the other one, stopping that nerve being pinched. But sometimes that moved the problem to the adjoining one. Then again I believe the latest way is to just insert a knife and cut the offending nerve, no more pain there, but then you can't feel it when someone kicks your leg repeatedly. Strengthening the muscles of the back with the right exercises helps to keep the strain off of the spine itself. You have GOT to get those knuckles apart from pinching the nerves, it's the only natural way to stop the pain.
Apart from all that, I give you a very cheap answer to your problem. '' You have a Bad Back Geordie" !
Mike Judd

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand