Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Postby fredlk » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:45 am

geordie wrote:well brace yourselves i have accepted an offer of £350,000

(A tentative) congratulations. :!:
geordie wrote: please god (i know fred you don,t speak to him)

Not after she let me down very badly as a child. :lol:
fredlk

Postby otis-a » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:35 am

waiting w/ baited breath to hear u cash n bank
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:43 am

Me too :?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Super8man » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:50 am

Good luck Geordie hope you sell-up and get for xmas

Only problem is £ Bt 44 last time I looked. Still looked at some costs

Council Tax UK £1100 :shock: Thai £00? :lol:
Water £150 Thai ? but lot less
gas £1000 :shock: :shock:
Elec £500+ :o

Looking at us we are not going to build our own house, but buy Tik's sisters house. My problem money tied up till 2013. Had some good news from Yorkshire Building/Legal-general 1 investment £10k now £11k in about 2 years :D Would rent house out for first couple of years to see if everything works OK, also the kids might want to come back to UK later, but may be dead country.

Cameron applied for membership to the third world, but was turned down due to country too poor and badly run :mrgreen:
Best Wishes

David & No Tik now so sad
Super8man

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:18 am

Yep the exchange rate is a downer for sure as well as the stuff has gone up in price since last there but we have a house in Bkk so somewher to live although its a bit dead in the evenings with about 300 restraunts all selling noodles ? Because its near a university
Its an hour or so from pattaya so an easy drive for a bit of entertainment although i am almost :wink: :wink: ready to admit my scuba diving days are over unless of course i could get a little electric scooter and put the kit on in the water where it neutral boyancy and i don,t have to worry about the weight on my back :D All i have to do is find someone fool enough to allow me to dive ! the other problems ashma angina heart :lol: i have covered them for years :mrgreen: usually i hide in the bog if i need to use my inhaler :mrgreen: but the guy i usually buddy up with caught me bang to rights one night when we were out drinking
so i came clean with him :roll: i was using the angina spray! so had no choice but he was ok although he could not understand why i was diving with the problems i have :lol: The back is a different issue and not so easy to hide :mrgreen: but i may well make it to be honest i will have to find a hobby of some sort although i am usually happy to play on the internet and listen to my music if i am going to sit indoors all day i should turn up the heating and stay here i am sure i will find a hobby of some sort Even if its farming :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby geordie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:46 pm

An update on the property sale :lol: :lol: :lol:
We now have two buyers who are both on their limits with the price :mrgreen:
neither one can raise a penny more ? However given i want out asap i have one of the agents dropping his fee to 1% so i get an extra bit?? and guarantees that he will have the sale turned around in 28 days so i have now asked the other agent to match that !! this i am enjoying knowing the agents are suffering give,s me so much joy knowing its costing them £1800 or 80000 bht :mrgreen: I may well give the money to a thai orphanage and send them the reciept

English news (BBC World news) has finally realized that Thailand is getting more rain than they need and apparantly although there are 260 dead 2-1/2 million flooded out the goverment are doing their utmost with the army working hard to mount a rescue operation :lol:
Oh and they are doing their best to reinforce the rivers through bkk because thats where all the rain is headed that fell in the north
Sound a case of bollocks to the peasants again :(
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:55 am

geordie wrote:Sound a case of bollocks to the peasants again

Yes Geordie I think you hit the nail on the head, the goverment were more interested in giving Mr T a get out of jail free card and the middle class cheaper cars and houses than keeping an eye on the pending flood issues.
pattayapope

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:50 am

I hate to disagree, but I think the blame should lay squarely on the shoulders of the public servants' fiefdoms run by the politicians nominations... namely jobs for the boys at the irrigation department. And when you consider the province governors were all political appointees in the last 12 months in the provinces most seriously effected, it again comes back to the previous government. They, the previous government, nor the army appointed one before that, did anything and I mean nothing, they just talked. And each committee that espoused change that they didn't want, they just appointed another committee to get a different finding. Today's Bangkok Post has an excellent interview with the retired Director General of the irrigation department who said (Reader's Digest version) No leadership, no control, no idea. You can't get more blunt than that.
And I love all the people who blame "Mr. T" and equate everything back to him. People seem to forget about a coup that toppled his government and the massive enquires into all his government's decisions and corruption (All done by army appointees and courts made up by the coup leaders). They also seem to pontificate that the coup had to happen because of the corruption, but what is never said.... oh heaven forbid... is what industrialised country in the world today would put up with a damned coup by an army against their elected politicians? US? Italy? Germany? Australia? South Africa? France? England? Name me just one!!!!!!!!!! And whilst you're at it name me an army who would shoot its own people for holding a peaceful demonstration and yet cannot defend its own borders again insurgents? Please name just one!
The people who pontificate that it was "T" who caused all the problems need to stop reading both The Nation and the Bangkok Post and start listening to unbiased news coverage. And the tired old statement about "that's all we get" will not wash with the internet available (excluding the 300,000 websites that are blocked). The Nation is a rag, pure and simple, the editor is an idiot who claimed "T" was dying of cancer 3 years ago and 101 other stories, none of which were true. The Bangkok Post still thinks the other political party and the army are running the country. As Scrooge used to say "Bah, humbug".
I agree with you Pattayapope, that's two things this government has done, what about the rice mortgage scheme, that's three...which is three more than the previous government did... oh and 3G bids have been called for, finally... oh that's four...wow and all done by "Mr.T" in Dubai? Or Cambodia? or Montenegro?. I'm impressed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:20 pm

The place has its faults that,s certain like anywhere else but try living here where you are screwed to death by legislation with zero privacy in your life you start feeling paranoid do the goverment actually have one employee per citizen ?? it feels like it
and there sole purpose is to work out how they can get more use out of you
Money paid in for years towards a pension and retirement gone they spent all reserves so now when you retire you live like a beggar
I have had a good one this week i live in the bourough of kingston on my car i have a blue badge to enable parking easier !virtually anywhere ! I just got two tickets sitting in the motor :evil: on a loading bay :evil: confused i phoned and asked why as the vehicle is by a twist of fate classed as a comercial vehicle and entitled to park there whoever drives it the reason was on both ocasions i was sitting in the vehicle smoking and no loading going on so i then questioned as to how this works :idea: it seems that if you are on a loading bay you must perform like an ant running to and from the vehicle "OR RISK" kingstons latest money spinner a camera mounted on top of a car now both times this car has videoed me for thirty seconds on the bay ?? from behind the vehicle?? both bays are in sidestreets causing no obstruction on one i was collecting the wife with shopping (i am unable to assist! The other i was collecting a gas bottle for a friend and waiting for the store to bring it out to the car ! on neither ocassion was i aware that they were filming me and no ticket issued just a demand for money £55 x 2
so i questioned how the managed to video me in the first place and was told about their car
i then asked why it was not stated that a car was being used for traffic enforcement clearly so people were aware of it and was told it is at all points of entry into the bourough I ahve spent a couple of days now looking for one of these signs and not found one but i have seen litterally hundreds of signs apear in readyness fo the london low emission zone Wherby if your vehicle is not compliant with a stringent emissions test you are not allowed into the zone all of london any motor (comercial) pre 2002 has to be binned unless its got a very expensive conversion on it £1500-£2000 fo a small minibus/van /landrover/ pickup so that is signed to death around the bourough But no mention that cctv will pick you up for parking when i questioned the muppet a second time on the issue he :lol: :lol: :lol: told me people do not like to see lots of signs :evil: :evil: :evil: yet any other place where i worked on cctv was reqired by law to put up signsto warn you that you are being monitored his answer is that you are warned as you enter the bourough when i told him i can find no sign,s and have been here 35 years so know the area quite well he tells me there is one on kingston bridge i will find out tomorrow (today) its probably the only one they have and no good to me 4 mile away
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Geordie

5,000 baht for having a couple of fags sounds that you are ready to make the move. I left 33 years ago and have not been back since 1992 and that was only a long weekend. I agree with you and Rodger on most of the points and don't think the situation would be any different whoever is in power over here. But it always seems the common hard working man get the short straw everytime. Still i don't know anywere better than here otherwise I would move.

PS you can come and stay with me for a long weekend I have a couple of nice bungalows as long as you don't have the dogs with you (no animals in the house rule)[*] :lol:
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:58 pm

pattayapope wrote: you can come and stay with me for a long weekend I have a couple of nice bungalows as long as you don't have the dogs with you (no animals in the house rule)[*] :lol:

That's good, because the dogs will be staying with me. :D I have a different rule: no Farang in the house. :wink:
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:23 pm

pattayapope wrote:Geordie

PS you can come and stay with me for a long weekend I have a couple of nice bungalows as long as you don't have the dogs with you (no animals in the house rule)[*] :lol:

Bad move alowing a geordie in :roll: and refusing the dogs most people are happy to see the dogs a second time not so good on the Geordies

Seriously i thank you for your offer and even if i don,t stopover i will visit :) I have a few freinds in pattaya (currently developing webbed feet

Fred you are a gentlman other than farrangs not allowed :( :( i will have to book with the neighbours on the holiday chalet ? Iv,e stayed in worse :lol: :lol: i am looking forward to meeting your mutts and see if Thai dogs can comunicate with farrang dogs :lol: or do dogs have different language,s :?:
The strage thing is how jacks always get on with others of the breed evenif they are cranky with other dogs the seem to be ok with jack russels
I am not too sure if they will want to talk to that soi dog :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Just seen your post about the house sale ... bit busy here ... everything comes to he who waits ... congrats.

Can't see that exchange rate improving any time soon so just as well you won't need to move the procedes over here in a hurry. Mr Cameron says we must be positive but I haven't heard too much of that from anybody while I've been here. :roll:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Its sad how life works out my wife who like any Thai child is devoted to her parents has lost her father to cancer it was fairly rapid (thankfully) within ten days of finding out he is no longer with us the old boy was not too bad a prolific cigarette thief ? so i probably contributed :( I feel sorry that we are so damm close to getting there and this happens we could maybe be there in a couple of months subject to just how many lie,s the estate agent has told us :evil: "again"" like the valuation survey will be done this week" - still waiting this was why i walked away from the first sale last year Another strech of the truth was no chain
and his morgage is in place = more lies and to cap it off when i called yesterday i got put on hold for ten mins told he will call you back :( several times i refused the offer and said i will hold then the voice changed to that of a girl?? (probably hoping to reduce the abuse they new was coming) who stated he was late for an appointment and had to rush out ???
I thought this a tad rude given he was twenty four hours late returning a call housing sale,s are prety much dead at the moment The email he received would have straigtened him out a bit but he still did not have the decency to call me back ?? When i spoke to him eventually it would appear they have lied again so once again i will be looking at the other offer ???
geordie

Postby otis-a » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:18 pm

yepper geo
Maybe next time u get 2 offers at 1 time, just accept both, without telling the other, then 1st to hit bank with doe, cancel the 2nd pending sale?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand