Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Postby elgato » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 pm

geordie wrote:i was suspect

Shouldn't that read "I was a suspect"? :lol:

Don't blame Bill for your inability to operate techology. Remember your cell phone debacle?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:27 am

elgato wrote:
geordie wrote:i was suspect

Shouldn't that read "I was a suspect"? :lol:

Don't blame Bill for your inability to operate techology. Remember your cell phone debacle?

Oh my phone debacle :mrgreen: i go to a shop and ask put new battery after frying on a defective charger previously sold to me :mrgreen: the second charger indicated it was charging the phone but reality was the phone was not charged :( the second shop where i requested a new battery to be fitted then charged the phone :D whoopee :D my nephew got a couple of games on it i got a six min phone call it died and refused to even indicate it was charging ? so i take it back to shop No 2 who inform me that its ok i have mixed the leads up ?? I who handed her the previous defective charger and laeds ???? for her to return them to my wife with working no put in the bin farrang bahhh :mrgreen: Once again the phone was charged only to discover that it died overnight no use had been made of it this time the shop had marked the lead and charger so no mistake could be made so i put it on charge 24 hrs later still no charge ?? In the interim because i was getting peed with not having a phone other than a small samsung bought at tesco,s uk for the princely sum of £10 or 460 baht it did actually work and i could make and receive calls on it however the ring tone volume and the speech volume were too low as was the wife,s phone she would take it out of her bag and have six missed calls ??? :lol: :lol: she liked the look of a samsung touchscreen :D :D the ringtone can be heard two houses away so we buy two of them :( when we get home we decide to have a play only to find her touch screen means touch it my touch screen means prod it jab it curse it swear at it prod it some more and it will eventually get bored with the abuse and change to another screen not neccesarily what you want :mrgreen:
but after five mins of prodding and swearing any sign of life was apreciated so the following day yet another three hour round trip to future park where at last my I phone has had a battery fitted :D :D :D :D and it works and it charges and it never has a signal for more than 1-1/2 minuite,s courtesy of AIS sym card but hey who cares i can take out the sym from my aircard (TRUE) and use that after all i have wireless broadband and a telephone at the house so why should i need the aircard?? Oh yes i remember its because the broadband at the house keeps crashing and the wireless needs a lan cable to work and for over a week now they have promissed to sort it out so yeterday i visited Lotus and spoke politely to the girl who understood english and was very sympathetic she promissed to A telephone my wife today and B get it fixed of course neither has happened so \Tommorow i will visit again because the numerouse phone calls made to date have not worked maybe if i annoy them at lotus they might fix it?? of course in the interim we changed the phone we bought from tesco,s because that did not work so we still have no landline The list goes on but nothing seems to do anything like its suposed to satelite tv a couple of hundred channels n the only english discovered today is the god channel as RR would say SHEESH ? a jet wash that don,t jet just adding to the miserable list of returns ?? i actually fail to see how its my fault although i do admit it,s becoming a problem
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby payebacs » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:00 am

Good that the true aircard works I'm imagining it can get internet wherever true have a phone signal. Maybe you should sign up to a mobile phone contract where they give you one of the latest phones and need to keep it in working order or replace it for you while you continue to pay a set fee for it's usage to include a certain quota of calltime minutes etc. I've always just had my own phone and topped it up as I go but a 2 year contract or whatever is one way of getting one of these top end 'i phone' type phones with some kind of assurance that it will remain functioning. I don't think I'll bother with a landline again. Mobile phones seem to pretty much always work (if the battery etc works I mean :lol: ) so unless really cheap landline calls are being made and unless the internet which one is getting down the phone line is much better and cheaper than the aircard internet then I see little need. Maybe scrap the lot and just go mobile. Jet wash? You mean a 7 wash (I'm busy learning thai).. 7 minutes or 7 seconds :lol: Use a bucket.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby geordie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 am

GOING HOME ??

Last post for a couple of days having spent two days in BKK getting = nowhere as usual with Thai Customs

(Duty) the answer to what can i bring seems to be whatever you want ??

The drawback is you might have to pay duty :( :( :( :(

One thing is clear NO CAR unless i want to pay 187% in duty made up of several escalating increments the strangest thing is acording to their calculations my vw transporter here in Thailand as a personal import will be worth/ cost £80,000 but i have seen a few about ??

More later as i am due to leave for the airport :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby Shastadad » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:32 am

geordie wrote:GOING HOME ??

Last post for a couple of days having spent two days in BKK getting = nowhere as usual with Thai Customs

(Duty) the answer to what can i bring seems to be whatever you want ??

The drawback is you might have to pay duty :( :( :( :(

One thing is clear NO CAR unless i want to pay 187% in duty made up of several escalating increments the strangest thing is acording to their calculations my vw transporter here in Thailand as a personal import will be worth/ cost £80,000 but i have seen a few about ??

More later as i am due to leave for the airport :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two things

Totally forget motor vehicles, the 187% Duty is the starting point and will increase until you can't pay it, then vehicle will be impounded and sold to "friends" at the next Customs Auction (the ones you have see were probably imported illegally and then a "blue book" Lem Tabian was obtained later or were purchased at the Customs Auction)

There will be two options if you import a container of Household Goods, the official Customs Duty, determined by the Inspector you are unlucky enough to get or the unofficial (no receipt) option which will be 50% cheaper

You can limit your exposure by not bringing in any electronics or appliances and getting a reputable customs broker to clear your shipment for you. If you have a Thai wife you might be able to obtain a lower bill if you ship everything in her name

Just ask yourself as you make your decision ! is what I am bringing in worth it (for sentimental reasons) and / or can I replace it in Thailand and save the shipping, transport, storage and Customs fees ?
Shastadad

Postby geordie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:45 pm

I suspect Dealers get some sort of preferential rate the VW,S i have seen were commercial use hotel ect But at £27000 uk +187% its not even a consideration the other stuff (household ) and personal attracts no duty because its my wife,s however that does not stop them charging Tax as they are non specific about ""household"" and were unwilling unable to answer thing like my old house was demolished and i have available all the windows/doors :lol: and also the bathroom suite,s a couple of years old :roll: :roll:basically double glazed with multipoint locking cost +ooo We sold the house minus these items ??
The answer was a valuation would be made a duty levied ? ""maybe"" because nobody knows the answer
Her mini falls off the table at over ten years old they have a sliding scale where a % is reduced per year of original cost the scale finishes at ten years then the "customs will value the car ?? so can they give me a rough idea of the price of a mini in excelant condition over ten years old to give me an idea worst case scenario + no it has to be on the docks ??? so you are screwed pay or send it back ??
Do they have a definitive list (household again ) of stuff she can return with bearing in mind she is a shopaholic and for ten years has been colecting for her return so not a week has gone by where 3/4 articles of clothes were not added (to my knowledge) several more lots were stashed into the wardrobe (hidden from me :lol: ) but she has enough clothes to stock a charity shop ? then gadgets and gismo,s camera,s mp3 players cooking apliances ect all genuinly hers ?? all a guess because there is no list of yes permitted no not permitted ?

She also has a rather nice colection of maintainance tools for the house and several times its been discussed here how tools are available and you can get the same quality over !! there the quality issue is their tools are "crap" and if you do go for a branded tool < no guarantee its not a copy> you will pay double the price for it even the unbranded chinese imports notoriously cheap are priced at the cost of a reasonable brand in uk The issue i have is that second hand for a drill i might get £30 :( having paid over £100 in some cases 24v £250
i will get nothing for the stuff having spent lterally more on tools than it would cost to build a house over there however having sold them i now need replacements ?? because of prices over there i will be replacing them with rubbish ?? that comes without a guarantee because the shop knows its rubbish i bought a couple of items there A jet wash 7 days if it breaks return it ?? after that you are on your own The latest was a total p%&^s take a small electric lawnmower uk £25-£30 the sort af crap you would have to cover yourself while your lawnmower was being serviced or edging near the flower beds £75 and 7 days warrenty ??
I tred to buy a small battery ccharger + a night mare nearly two hours of returning me to the welder section "welders and inverters" after several visits i got a translation for the supervisor she relayed it to the staff on that section as soon as she left four of them milling around with a pissed off farrang hot tired and pissed off and way overdue my medication ??
i was presented with a peice of paper and a pen could i write it down?? "the supervison had just told them in Thai"??? dutifully i wrote it down even showed them a small battery charger for motorbikes another for aa/aaa/9v houshold battery,s just so they had the gist +battery charger i pointed at "car battery,s" Yay - lec large small waste of time completely off we go back to welders and he tries to sell me an inverter ?? Uk i would wander to the shed take out one of three battery chargers an extension lead and simply charge the battery??
I enjoy using a wood chisel to fit a lock or hinges on doors ??
I enjoy having a spanner or socket the right size
i enjoy using a drill to make holes in walls
A grinder to cut metal
a welder to go with it
various hammers for various duties not one size fits all the same with screwdrivers
an engine hoist for lifting various winches lifting pulling
lawn tractors strimmers shears chainsaws shovels spades ??
All of these i have already having bought them to save me time effort and money now i lose the lot or pay an undecided sum of Tax = \Tea money to some theiving little scroat because he is in a position to demand it Thats without having the reast of the sacrifices boxes of cctv equipment worth nothing unless you need it ?? several tv,s several stereo,s Basically i am actually wondering if its worth the sacrifice ?? To be abused at every oportunity with double charging no price tag + walk away ask for help with anything you may as well get down on your knee,s and pray god will give you an answer quicker
The couple of months i spent there was suposed to arrange full information on liabilities with duty = failed they give you nothing to go on ?? even the bloody phone number for customs is a close guarded secret you have to attend their office and ask for it the one on the internet is wrong ??? but at no point could i find a correct one six removals companies the same don,t respond to phone calls or emails
To add insult to injury while we where in cental BKK we returned home to find a pile of crap across the road from our house i paid a couple of guys four days to remove the rubbish there ?? all i did was make a space for more i have a lot of thinking to do as to my future that a certainty ?? But i will carry on packing a container + destination unknown ???
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:11 pm

geordie wrote:Basically i am actually wondering if its worth the sacrifice ??

Welcome to the club Geordie :roll: :shock: :(

Anyways ... is it still raining over there? If so can you ship some over as my mum says she can't get to the Post Office? :) :D :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:31 pm

peeing down and i am wearing thermals the heating last night was at 30 ?? = max setting and i was cold :(
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Geordie the answer is to not provide too many details on the inventory, a lifetime ago when I was maried we returned to Thailand from a couple of years in Singapore and I brought all the household stuff back under my wifes name and the clearing agent said it was 6 K Baht duty because I had a computer and a fax machine. He said the best thing is to pay it otherwise I would be liable for storage fees. Ofcourse no receipt :lol: [*] :roll:

I know a few people who have tried to bring old cars in country and it has been a nightmare and they ended up shipping them back out[*] :lol:
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:16 pm

geordie wrote:But i will carry on packing a container + destination unknown ???

I hear Boracay is nice.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Fri May 25, 2012 1:17 pm

It seems the dogs being farrangs have been doing what farrangs do in Thailand :roll: :roll: leaving lots of evidence it would appear my plans to breed the dogs has put itself into motion
Both girls are knocked up ??

So shortly available JR puppies free to good home,s collect BKK end of July early August have not arrived yet so sex,s not known hopefully all tricolour =Blk brn wht

Very lively very affectionate and very inteligent dogs
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri May 25, 2012 2:20 pm

geordie wrote:It seems the dogs being farrangs have been doing what farrangs do in Thailand

That being the case, how can you be sure who the father is?
geordie wrote:So shortly available JR puppies free to good home,s collect BKK end of July early August

I haven't been to Bangkok for a year now and have no plans to do so in the coming year(s) so I'll pass.
geordie wrote:Very lively very affectionate and very inteligent dogs

.... and lots of work, need lots of exercise, very tiring and they love bringing their kill inside, lizards, frogs, snakes, mice. They also don't realise that they are smaller than all other dogs.
This morning Patsy did a Bruce Willis while riding shotgun on one of the dirt roads. She climbed out onto the mirror and from there onto the bonnet and took a dive at 2 large dogs that were in our way.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 pm

geordie wrote: and very inteligent dogs

Not intelligent enough to talk their way out of getting knocked up ... so maybe you should get a second opinion on that http://www.abc.net.au/animals/dog_test/

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Fri May 25, 2012 7:59 pm

geordie wrote:It seems the dogs being farrangs have been doing what farrangs do in Thailand
Both girls are knocked up ??

OK! Now you have me wondering how they do it in Old Blighty.

Seems patsy has full control of that farang from Sattahip. :P
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat May 26, 2012 8:05 am

If my dogs smart enough to go to Harvard, who's going to pay the uni fees and what will he study?
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand